• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whats everyone think then? If play starts around 1.10 ish and the rain stays away will the Aussies go for it? maybe 50 overs of play today, so it seems a reasonable target to chase?
Yeah the reduced overs gives them an option of shutting up shop if they want to. Each of Head, Green and Carey are capable of scoring fast enough. So’s Khawaja actually, but I suspect he’ll try to anchor it if there’s a chase on and have the other guys bat around him. FAFO can near win it in an hour if he gets going.

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
Yeah the reduced overs gives them an option of shutting up shop if they want to. Each of Head, Green and Carey are capable of scoring fast enough. So’s Khawaja actually, but I suspect he’ll try to anchor it if there’s a chase on and have the other guys bat around him. FAFO can near win it in an hour if he gets going.
Its going to be fascinating to see how it plays out, I expect Khawaja to be the steady one while the others look to up the scoring rate. A couple of quick wickets and it could be a long afternoon for Aussies

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nine being their usual **** selves and just replaying last night’s session, which is fine of course, but not giving any update at all on what, if anything is happening at the ground today

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Warning: This post mentions NZ. I know this is an ASHES thread. You don't need to remind me. It is for illustrative purposes only.

In the NZ-SL test in March that we won off the last legal ball of day 5 they were allowed to bowl.
Target 285:
End of day 4 28/1 off 17 overs.
Day 5 started after lunch due to rain.
53 overs were left in the test.
NZ finished the final ball of the 70th over on 285/8 after running a bye to the keeper (257/7 off 53 overs).

The bowling (and bowling conditions) should be better, but the Aussies are still a real chance. If they keep wickets in hand they can score plenty in the final hour if they need to.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warning: This post mentions NZ. I know this is an ASHES thread. You don't need to remind me. It is for illustrative purposes only.

In the NZ-SL test in March that we won off the last legal ball of day 5 they were allowed to bowl.
Target 285:
NZ finished the final ball of the 70th over on 285/8 after running a bye to the keeper (257/7 off 53 overs).

The bowling (and bowling conditions) should be better, but the Aussies are still a real chance. If they keep wickets in hand they can score plenty in the final hour if they need to.
I completely forgot this match happened

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

Target 285:

Mate this is The Ashes thread, we don't need any NZ input, particularly if it favours the Aussies chances of winning 😆

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whats everyone think then? If play starts around 1.10 ish and the rain stays away will the Aussies go for it? maybe 50 overs of play today, so it seems a reasonable target to chase?
2 preferred scenarios for Australia would be a reasonably prompt start under blue skies (ha) or it gets rained off

Another lengthy delay potentially takes the win out of the equation as it will be too risky to go hard with only 4 recognised batsmen to come so it’s either a draw or a loss anyway

CartyDurham

International Captain
They have to be on the field at 6.30, I think. Either captain may ask for it and then it goes to the match referee as to whether it is facetious
Dont quote me on that though.
I'm on the draw at 9/2 btw (You asked about gambling earlier in thread)
I’m on at 100/30 , I took the price yesterday lunch iirc

I want to see cricket today but my wallet doesn’t

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
2 preferred scenarios for Australia would be a reasonably prompt start under blue skies (ha) or it gets rained off

Another lengthy delay potentially takes the win out of the equation as it will be too risky to go hard with only 4 recognised batsmen to come so it’s either a draw or a loss anyway
Not if Travis Head gets going ..Anything more than 40 overs the win isn't out of the equation