• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

halba

International 12th Man
If I was Australia I'd simply send in all the nightwatchman to swing and hit First. So Lyon then Hazlewood, Cummins next up. To try reduce the deficit, with no real risk. Then I'll send in the proper batters- head, Carey and green , I wouldn't want to leave the final chase to tail ender's. We see Scotty Boland got a valuable 13, say if he can double that would be a start.

Overall I can't see Aus winning the game. Will need to check weather.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it really wasn't great. Green being so underused this game has me a bit puzzled aswell. I read somewhere that he's got the second most average swing behind Cummins this game (don't know if this was just for yesterday or the whole test), got his Yorkers spot on to the tail in the first dig and in the one two over spell he got in the second innings nearly dismissed both Brook and root.
Let’s be honest

Cummins, and probably Smith because he’s obviously doing a lot behind the scenes, are just awful awful captains

loterry1994

International Debutant
If I was Australia I'd simply send in all the nightwatchman to swing and hit First. So Lyon then Hazlewood, Cummins next up. To try reduce the deficit, with no real risk. Then I'll send in the proper batters- head, Carey and green , I wouldn't want to leave the final chase to tail ender's. We see Scotty Boland got a valuable 13, say if he can double that would be a start.

Overall I can't see Aus winning the game. Will need to check weather.
they don’t need to go all guns blazing at All they just need to bat sensibly and not give a sway their wicket as easy and you can maybe sneak 30-40 valuable runs like England did. Defend well and try bat around whoever’s left whether it be Carey r khawaja or whoever

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Let’s be honest

Cummins, and probably Smith because he’s obviously doing a lot behind the scenes, are just awful awful captains
I think they are worried they may break him which is fair enough but surely 3 spells of 4 overs is not that high a workload over the course of almost a day's play?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Let’s be honest

Smith is a reasonable tactician, he's just a really terrible leader of men. Perfect 2IC in any setting IMO.

Head is by far the best captain in the side and I think CA have known this for a while but his place wasn't cemented. It is now though. It'll be interesting how it plays out.

Cummins being "successful" may block what should obviously be the structure for the team going forward.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing I've noticed in this match is it's the straight seamers that have generally moved the most and the 'wobble seamers' have generally done three-fifths of **** all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'll be lucky to get a look in now barring injury. Thank ****.

No surprise someone born in Yorkshire would eschew racial harmony.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If a pair of cheap chinos and a ****ty unstructured blazer had a name, it would be Baxter Holt.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
lol I can't believe people still talk about Archer playing Tests again. Give it up. It was already a pipe dream before his latest injury, now it's just fantasy land stuff.
Young people can recover very fast. BCCI surprise that Pant already starts Swimming/ playing Table tennis & taking lession of slow driving he desire to play in upcoming wC

I wish good luck To Archer to recover well, england must need him ( Aanderson reached Milestone of 1100 First Class wickets no way he can hang around till 801 test wickets

( pak's Spinner Miran Bux Debut at 47<< those Era, over now)

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weren't they saying that in the context of him getting the chase off to a bit of a rapid start? My network for whatever reason was in and out last night so our tv kept freezing up and I ended up pulling the pin before Aus started batting, but I thought I heard something to that effect while Robinson and Broad were still batting. Certianly agree with you in principle though. Basically got to the point now where Warner making double figures these days is a pleasant surprise, such has been his decline.
Warner actually looked more solid than he has done for a long time

Lowest of low bars but I still prefer him over Marcus Hackis