• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WTC what’s the point?

loterry1994

International Debutant
What’s the point of the world test championship when all teams don’t get an equal or similar amount of matches or series compared to the big 3. You get England playing like 20 matches then you get teams like Sri Lanka playing like under 10 during the next cycle. How does this highlight the importance of this championship or test matches in general when it’s not a fair share of it.

I know a lot of the reason has to do with money but this championship doesn’t feel that important or big compared to a World Cup. Australia just won it recently but doesn’t feel that big at all you’d rather win an away series in England or India or Australia than win this championship

CartyDurham

International Captain
What’s the point of the world test championship when all teams don’t get an equal or similar amount of matches or series compared to the big 3. You get England playing like 20 matches then you get teams like Sri Lanka playing like under 10 during the next cycle. How does this highlight the importance of this championship or test matches in general when it’s not a fair share of it.

I know a lot of the reason has to do with money but this championship doesn’t feel that important or big compared to a World Cup. Australia just won it recently but doesn’t feel that big at all you’d rather win an away series in England or India or Australia than win this championship
Money

I’ve never understood how the points are decided etc

CartyDurham

International Captain
yeah I said it’s about money. But just for test match cricket in general i don’t think it helps the format become more popular. They should be trying to promote more test cricket for countries like West Indies, Sri Lanka etc
Totally agree

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah I said it’s about money. But just for test match cricket in general i don’t think it helps the format become more popular. They should be trying to promote more test cricket for countries like West Indies, Sri Lanka etc
Have you considered that perhaps these teams would be playing even fewer Tests were it not for the WTC?

Yes, it has certainly got flaws but I suspect it is a positive overall.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Have you considered that perhaps these teams would be playing even fewer Tests were it not for the WTC?

Yes, it has certainly got flaws but I suspect it is a positive overall.
It’s just the protracted way of qualifying that confuses imo

you get points here but not there

they need to clean that up a bit to make it easier to follow

CartyDurham

International Captain
I love it. The idea of it, that is.

Don't think it measures up to all that much in it's current form, and format, but it's the foundation for what should bring a lot of spice and excitement to Test cricket for a long time to come. Exactly what we need right now.
Fair points but I wish how you score points was simpler

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Ideally there would be two divisions, each team would play each other both home in three/match series and the winner would be decided on a league basis rather than with a final. This won’t happen however for the financial reasons of which we are all aware.

To be fair though, despite my misgivings about the format, the two editions so far have seen the two best teams contest the final on each occasion.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the main point of this is not to settle for those "boring" draws...you know which ones...

Getting a result inside 5 days, without rain of course.

In a ideal setting, teams would be playing each other, home and away series. At the end of the cycle, all teams should play the same amount of matches.

Blam.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree 100%. Rather than a tournament involving all nations, we should retain the status quo whereby you're really the best if you beat England. Also, whenever there's a test going on without England playing, all the players should be asking "Where's Stokesy?".
This but unironically

You do realise an Aussie started the thread though yeah?

the big bambino

International Captain
A worthwhile tournament to win and I was disappointed Australia didn’t qualify for the first one due to our own fault. Agree with HDS the format encourages tests and CD the points system simplified.

Other issues including scheduling for and location of the final could be improved.

thierry henry

International Coach
This but unironically

You do realise an Aussie started the thread though yeah?
Yes. But also, the Ashes exists and it has been deemed “important” to beat England for the last 140 years, which I felt was important context.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think once every so often, each team should have to play a 5 match test series against each other test playing nation, and then once that cycle has finished, the top 4 teams in the standing play a final series to declare a world champion.

Given the time frame it would need to achieve this, and to make it fair so some players careers don't miss out, the cycle should then recommence as soon as the final is played.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
I like the idea of the WTC, but really how can it be a fair tournament when all Test playing nations don't play each other twice home and away...

Coronis

International Coach
Agree 100%. Rather than a tournament involving all nations, we should retain the status quo whereby you're really the best if you beat England. Also, whenever there's a test going on without England playing, all the players should be asking "Where's Stokesy?".
Please don’t tell me thats actually a common nickname for him.

I was already embarrassed enough sharing the same last name with the ****, don’t need the same nickname too.

thierry henry

International Coach
Please don’t tell me thats actually a common nickname for him.

I was already embarrassed enough sharing the same last name with the ****, don’t need the same nickname too.
tbh despite being incredibly insightful and accurate in assessing his character, I don't actually know the bloke personally