• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WTC what’s the point?

thierry henry

International Coach
You can't hide not liking new things because Change Is Bad behind traditionalism.
On balance I think the WTC is pretty aight, I just still think the tradition of international cricket matches being meaningful because they are international cricket matches is a good one. I obviously can't convince anyone that things aren't JAM but ideally we should stop non-JAM things (like, whole pieces of fruit or whatever) from being turned into JAM wherever possible.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Please don’t tell me thats actually a common nickname for him.

I was already embarrassed enough sharing the same last name with the ****, don’t need the same nickname too.
From the country that brought you Shakespeare, the English nicknames:

Popey
Rooty
Brooky
Stokesy
Mo
Broady
Jimmy

Mo the odd one out...and we all know why that is. They couldn't even give him his own 'y'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem with the WTC is the same with all newly created competitions. Nobody cares because you can't just create something and tell people they have to care about it/that it matters.

It's like the Nations League in international football. The attitude of basically every player/fan seems to be "Yeah ok, it's better to win it than not win it, but if we don't win it then it doesn't matter, because it gives us time to focus on preparing for something we actually care about."

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean everything is contrived and artificial if you look at it from that lens. Would the Ashes would be meaningless in the year it first started? Leagues, series, trophies didn’t just spontaneously arrive with history. Takes time and has to be done well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I mean everything is contrived and artificial if you look at it from that lens. Would the Ashes would be meaningless in the year it first started? Leagues, series, trophies didn’t just spontaneously arrive with history. Takes time and has to be done well.
Oh yeah totally. Everything in life is essentially meaningless tbh (I mean cricket itself, when viewed in the abstract and reduced to a literal level is just grown men putting on PJs and flapping about swatting little balls with pieces of wood). It is only through time and repetition and whatnot that things take on meaning, you are completely right. I think the problem here with the WTC, however, is that it probably won't be given time to breathe.

Also worth keeping in mind that sporting events taking on true signfiicance doesn't only take time, it often usually requires the presence of socio-politcal factors. E.g. the reason why contests between Eng/Aus, Ind/Pak, and England and Germany/Argentina in football are so heated and mean so much isn't just down to sport itself.

Last edited:

Socerer 01

International Captain
The problem with the WTC is the same with all newly created competitions. Nobody cares because you can't just create something and tell people they have to care about it/that it matters.

It's like the Nations League in international football. The attitude of basically every player/fan seems to be "Yeah ok, it's better to win it than not win it, but if we don't win it then it doesn't matter, because it gives us time to focus on preparing for something we actually care about."
nations league is a 100 times better than the useless friendlies that existed before it, it also serves as a small qualification pathway for the other two bigger tournaments so it does have something at least. imo its the right way to bring in a new tournament

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
nations league is a 100 times better than the useless friendlies that existed before it, it also serves as a small qualification pathway for the other two bigger tournaments so it does have something at least. imo its the right way to bring in a new tournament
Yeah it's fine I guess. But honestly to me it's no better or worse than the previous pointless friendlies really. I'm not going to watch either way.

Kirkut

International Regular
The original motivation was to revive test cricket. It doesn't have and will never have the charm of the real world cup - the ODI World Cup.

Sooner or later they will realize that test cricket is a niche sport and not meant to be commercialized. It's the money generated by limited overs cricket that keeps tests alive financially.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just to make it even better, they're still taking actual WTC points off for slow over rates. It's like theyre trying to make it as much of a joke competition as possible

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
WTC points 2023-2025

Eng vs Aus starts with of WTC for 2023-2025

Sorry
Aus for only 10 points koz 2 point doked by ICC

Eng starts with --2 point🤣 as ICC doked 2 points

In the WTC 2023-2025, teams will get 12 points for a win, 4 for a draw and 6 for a tie.

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Captain
From the country that brought you Shakespeare, the English nicknames:

Popey
Rooty
Brooky
Stokesy
Mo
Broady
Jimmy

Mo the odd one out...and we all know why that is. They couldn't even give him his own 'y'.
On other forums about cricket Moeen is known as Modern

please don’t label all English as dodgy about people like moeen

I’m disgusted by those in power who are trying demonise people from other cultures and nations

they have foghorn voices but the vast majority welcome anyone of any race, creed and religion with open arms

I consider myself to be one of them