• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep, & I do recall several articles from Australia media in the last 12 months questioning the positive approach vs. Australia and without qualifying it being on bowler friendly tracks.
Oh if you mean the Australian media then yeah they're idiots. Fox Cricket in particular has been an embarrassment for ages now.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I don't think this is accurate. It's whether they could score quickly in helpful bowling conditions in particular. On that front we very much don't know, because aside from that half an hour yesterday we haven't had those.

Could they score like this in the sort of conditions that were present on the first two days at Headingley last time around? That's an open question.
If conditions were like they were yesterday, or like they may be at Headingley, then of course we wouldn't score at 5 an over.

But in these conditions, we've shown that just like we pummelled India, New Zealand, Pakistan and S Africa, even this great Aussie attack hasn't been able to stop us scoring so quickly.

Now that doesn't mean we'll win the Ashes but I think most fans on both sides will have been surprised at just how freely we've scored.

Gob

International Coach
It's amazing that they are playing shot a ball without dragging on or edging. Maybe having such a clear mind does help in that regard

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good from these two, match on a knives edge &...... Partnership: 44 Runs, 7 Ov (RR: 6.28)

trundler

I do think we'll reach a synthesis between traditional test cricket and it's antithesis in Bazball but surely the main thing we can learn from it is that batsmen can get away with a lot more in favourable conditions and the huge gaps in traditional test cricket fields can be exploited much better than they traditionally are. Root's ramps aren't textbook but they're fairly low risk and put a ton of pressure on the bowling.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
England, and Root in particular, have been superb this morning

The Aussies haven't bowled well but that largely been due to the pressure Root's put on them.

My only worry is we'll go for another dodgy declaration which will give The Aussies a chance of winning the match tomorrow.

ataraxia

International Coach
I do think we'll reach a synthesis between traditional test cricket and it's antithesis in Bazball but surely the main thing we can learn from it is that batsmen can get away with a lot more in favourable conditions and the huge gaps in traditional test cricket fields can be exploited much better than they traditionally are. Root's ramps aren't textbook but they're fairly low risk and put a ton of pressure on the bowling.
If this is a reply to me:
It's not even a bad shot IMO, considering the small number of balls that actually hit the stumps. However, on the first ball of the morning, the poor execution shows.
Love it.

Burgey

Haze should have started against Root today. He has a good record vs him. Understand going with Boland after his spell last night but I'd wager Root would rather have faced him

flibbertyjibber

As we know 3 hours of Bazball today and England are setting over 200 to win and that is if they bat badly. I can imagine given we are 2 down Root may play more sensibly and the other end tees off and if someone gets in Root steps it up too.
Or over 300 in 3 hours the way we are going. Thought we were unable to do this sort of thing against an attack like this?

Bollocks, sit back and enjoy it Aussies. We love it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Though as I've pointed out a bit, in the South Africa series England only scored over 200 once.
I get you but that stats a bit misleading. England only batted 5 times and one of those was a 130/1 in the 4th dig where they where smashing it everywhere, and another was a 415/9'd. All of this was in a series where root averaged single figures.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer

ok all I apologise. I like to look on the good side and not the negative

when it’s the Aussies turn to bat, I’ll be saying great shot a lot , and not moaning about bowlers all the time

not one person has said that’s a good shot by root. Not one bar me. It’s all bad bowling
We don't need to keep saying "that's a good shot by Root" because it's kind of what we expect from such a good batsman. An exceptional shot, certainly.