• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think this is accurate. It's whether they could score quickly in helpful bowling conditions in particular. On that front we very much don't know, because aside from that half an hour yesterday we haven't had those.

Could they score like this in the sort of conditions that were present on the first two days at Headingley last time around? That's an open question.
They did pretty well in NZ in the pink ball match when the conditions where harder and beat SA 2-1 on some absolute green tops, tbf.

ataraxia

International Coach
Nah this is just cope for the fact that batting teams have left runs out there for no reason other than tradition. Just like how guys keep getting out driving in England when they'd 100% be better off shelving that shot, they've left huge gaps unexploited just because things aren't done a certain way.
I mean yeah so I partially agree, in that tradition plays a great role in that that is how test cricket is played. To counter playing like you want to requires specific bowling plans and unflustered bowlers. But I disagree that it's actually superior. I like to think (here is the element of cope) that non-Bazball batting is the mode that will still reign supreme.

It's extraordinarily enjoyable. But at some point it will end, despite the incompetence of every cricket organisation ever. And that will be extraordinarily enjoyable too. McCullum is certainly changing the game of test cricket, but not to total slogfest levels.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They did pretty well in NZ in the pink ball match when the conditions where harder and beat SA 2-1 on some absolute green tops, tbf.
Yep, & I do recall several articles from Australia media in the last 12 months questioning the positive approach vs. Australia and without qualifying it being on bowler friendly tracks.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean yeah so I partially agree, in that tradition plays a great role in that that is how test cricket is played. To counter playing like you want to requires specific bowling plans and unflustered bowlers. But I disagree that it's actually superior. I like to think (here is the element of cope) that non-Bazball batting is the mode that will still reign supreme.

It's extraordinarily enjoyable. But at some point it will end, despite the incompetence of every cricket organisation ever. And that will be extraordinarily enjoyable too. McCullum is certainly changing the game of test cricket, but not to total slogfest levels.
I do think the shift to significantly higher run rates on flat pitches will be permanent. This is just a translation of the 2015 WC and since then English-led revolution in white ball batting to the Test arena; batsmen are realising that without pitch assistance for the bowlers, there really is nothing to stop them scoring at a truly rapid pace. The range of strokes is just too broad and the field too large to defend for the array of shots modern batsmen can play to any given ball.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That was superb from Book. Don't get how he looked so **** against spin in India.
Probably because he was playing it from his lounge in Yorkshire? Unless there's some Lions tour of India that I've forgotten, I don't think he's ever played there.