• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The forecast is pretty bleak for the rest of the day - that could well be it.

Tricky conditions for us - up against the new ball in those conditions - it doesn't get any tougher. That's the rub of the green in England - I wouldn't attach much blame to the openers.

CartyDurham

International Captain
The forecast is pretty bleak for the rest of the day - that could well be it.

Tricky conditions for us - up against the new ball in those conditions - it doesn't get any tougher. That's the rub of the green in England - I wouldn't attach much blame to the openers.
I’m not surprised at all. We’ve been in this position a lot of times previously

it’s all on pope, Brook, root and Stokes to get the lead over 280

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably grateful we only lost a couple, that could have been a **** show. Meant to be clear tomorrow.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Remember how we said it was overheads and not pitches in England that counted @Ashes81

Absolute rubbish pitch suddenly it's overcast/humid and it's a different game.
It's all about the overhead conditions in England, always has been, always will be.

If it hadn't have rained and stayed cloudy, we'd have been in real trouble.

But if we'd been bowling in the same conditions, we'd have made the most of it as well.

Xix2565

International Regular
Ngl this is a weird ongoing rant. Not sure anyone has said the pitch isn't terrible, it's just not the roadiest road ever.

And yes, overhead conditions have more of an effect than pitch in the UK, most of our pitches don't do a lot. This has been true for ages.
Ffs seam movement is off the ****ing surface and not in the air. England is not exactly a place bereft of seaming deliveries and hasn't been for a good while now, stop spreading this nonsense about overheads please.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ffs seam movement is off the ****ing surface and not in the air. England is not exactly a place bereft of seaming deliveries and hasn't been for a good while now, stop spreading this nonsense about overheads please.
...We've literally just seen perfect evidence of this. But yes, nonsense, of course.

Also I didn't say there was no seam movement, but Test pitches on the whole are much flatter than they used to be.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In the movement debate, across multiple threads, people are talking at cross purposes. What is surely not debatable is that the most significant movement you will get in England will come under leaden skies.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Mate have you actually been watching this test.

The ball has done sweet **** all off the seam all match. Yes that's to do with the pitch but also the overhead conditions.

The overhead conditions change and suddenly the ball starts seaming.

Now I can't explain it, I know it doesn't make much sense but I've been watching cricket in England since the 1970s and take it from me, it often happens.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That was a pretty lucky period of play for Australia there. But if it ends up being that way on day 5 and they have to last 50 overs against Branderson, I dont think they will be able to survive.

But the game is really well set up and if it does not rain much after this, even the weather would have helped this contest be even closer. lol