• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
Root and Robinson weren't out yet anyway. Talking about Anderson whenever it comes up is stupid.
It’s not stupid man. Can you not acknowledge anything at all. Injuries happen, 2019 Anderson bowled four overs and that was it injured

A broken finger to chase runs could have done that again

That’s my very simpk3 and easy to understand point for crying out loud

CartyDurham

International Captain
Day 1 declarations should be illegal and Stokes should be banned for life. I definitely would not have been saying Stokes should have declared if Anderson got hit on the finger.
If he broke a finger and was out for the summer ? He bowled four overs in 2019 and that was it

Imagine if the above happened and that was Anderson finished and retired

It could have easily happened and that’s my simple point

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
This is the advantage of the field placings tbf - could easily have conceded a whole stack of boundaries with some of these leg stump half volleys, but nothing but singles and twos so far.
I think the conventional wisdom of edges in the channel outside of not going to hand on such a pitch, is overruled by the fact England will be going hard. At least enough that we shouldn't be going this straight this early.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It’s not stupid man. Can you not acknowledge anything at all. Injuries happen, 2019 Anderson bowled four overs and that was it injured

Anderson wasn't ****ing due to bat yet anyway though. If that's what it was about - and it wasn't - he would have waited for Root or Robinson to get out first.

CartyDurham

International Captain
by this logic england might as well declare at 6 down to protect Moeen's finger
Rubbish. Absolute rubbish

Think if Anderson had broke a finger and he would be put for the summer , would you not think the declaration should have come to prevent that ?

Why can no one understand that simple point ?

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the conventional wisdom of edges in the channel outside of not going to hand on such a pitch, is overruled by the fact England will be going hard. At least enough that we shouldn't be going this straight this early.
I want to at least force England to play some shots to score. Going at 4rpo off singles is gratuitous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am extremely confident that Stokes' declaration had nothing whatsoever to do with protecting Anderson from injury.
Yeah, I was taking the mickey a bit there. He really only obviously did it for the element of surprise and maybe with an eye on the forecast for a cloudier morning the next day.

I think it was an ill-advised decision but like I said, its part of a package and I guess England fans will take it given the overall results.

EDIT: Also, they could simply learn from this mistake for next time.🤷‍♂️

Qlder

International Debutant

But Anderson was never batting, bat on until one of Root or Robinson got out then declare if so worried about Anderson getting hit on the finger after 170 odd tests ( stupid theory). They also hit 20 runs off the last over ffs

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yeah, I was taking the mickey a bit there. He really only obviously did it for the element of surprise and maybe with an eye on the forecast for a cloudier morning the next day.

I think it was an ill-advised decision but like I said, its part of a package and I guess England fans will take it given the overall results.
At last . Someone engaging brain

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think if Anderson had broke a finger and he would be put for the summer , would you not think the declaration should have come to prevent that ?
No? I don't think the first reaction to a bowler getting injured when the team is trying to get runs is ever "we should've declared and just gave up the runs". You shrug at the bad luck and move on.

If it was the second innings when they have a big lead then it's obviously different.

Spark

Global Moderator

Oh no I knew you were taking the piss a bit with that suggestion, I'm just baffled that someone has actually taken it seriously.