• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vettori has one more ton in like twice as many matches. Definitely flattered by the average. I don't think there's a chasm in their batting ability at all. Mo was a batting all rounder who became a frontline spinner out of necessity and that's how he bowled but he still managed to impact matches occasionally in a way Vettori didn't. It's closer than you'd think, longevity aside.

thierry henry

International Coach
The last time I put my faith in Australia, they match-fixed football World Cup qualifiers so we weren’t in them, then made the World Cup themselves. Why the **** would I support weak-gutted cheating cowards to beat weak-gutted evil cowards? ****ing cricket man

CartyDurham

International Captain
The last time I put my faith in Australia, they match-fixed football World Cup qualifiers so we weren’t in them, then made the World Cup themselves. Why the **** would I support weak-gutted cheating cowards to beat weak-gutted evil cowards? ****ing cricket man
Feeling ok? Get a bit of fresh air and have a walk

trundler

Moeen's test strike rate is 60, actually better than Vettori's 73? and Lyon's 63. He just goes at 4.5 rpo.

I maintain that Root's incompetent captaincy ruined his bowling, and batting for that matter
Strike rates aren't particularly helpful across eras. Rabada's is better than Marshall's.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori has one more ton in like twice as many matches. Definitely flattered by the average. I don't think there's a chasm in their batting ability at all. Mo was a batting all rounder who became a frontline spinner out of necessity and that's how he bowled but he still managed to impact matches occasionally in a way Vettori didn't. It's closer than you'd think, longevity aside.
Vettori debuted as an 18 year-old batting at 11. From the age of 24 (his last 70-odd tests) he averaged about 38. The bloke scored 140 on a day 5 SL bunsen against Murali and Herath.

Flem274*

123/5
Penny for India's thoughts watching this having left out Ashwin last week...
I struggle with it too. Can only think they were still playing the 2021 game and (wrongfully) blamed the bowling balance for the loss rather than not batting with the same tenacity as the opposition in that game.

thierry henry

International Coach
Vettori was a genuine tailender and then for a chunk of his career was an outstanding 40-average middle order batsman

OverratedSanity

I struggle with it too. Can only think they were still playing the 2021 game and (wrongfully) blamed the bowling balance for the loss rather than not batting with the same tenacity as the opposition in that game.
He was probably our best bowler in that 2021 final too. Its never made much sense.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Strike rates aren't particularly helpful across eras. Rabada's is better than Marshall's.
It does signify though that both Vettori and Lyon had much better backing and were allowed to bowl much longer spells than Moeen who was under pressure of coming off after almost every over bowled.

trundler

Vettori debuted as an 18 year-old batting at 11. From the age of 24 (his last 70-odd tests) he averaged about 38. The bloke scored 140 on a day 5 SL bunsen against Murali and Herath.
Imran averaged 50 as captain but no one thinks he was Viv Richards. That was a good innings though.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And Ashwin actually bowled well in the 2021 WTC final too