• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Jfry

U19 Debutant
Waiting for certain individuals to claim that the only reason England are getting more movement is due to the skill (not disputing that Anderson is clearly a better swing bowler though than any of the Australians)

Spark

Global Moderator
This is a really classic case of abusing statistics whilst ignoring underlying mechanical explanations.

This is really counterintuitive, and I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that scoring 438 at 3.4 an over is about as likely to result in a win as scoring 587 at 4.9 an over. One possibility is that the matches which feature high first innings scores are played on absolute roads, like in the 1997 Colombo snoozeathon between India and Sri Lanka, meaning that a high second innings score is also pretty likely. Therefore, you’d expect the first and second innings scores to correlate in matches where the first innings was 500+ runs at 3.72+ RPO… but they don’t (r=0.07, p=0.52). Nor do the first and second innings scores correlate in matches where the first innings was between 380-500 runs at 3.13-3.72 RPO (r=-0.15, p=0.18). The only indication that a massive first innings score may mean that the pitch is easier to bat on is that the mean second innings score in response to a massive first innings score is 346.90, while the mean second innings score in response to a good first innings score is 307.09. A t-test between the two set of second innings scores is “relatively significant” (as an ever-hopeful colleague of mine used to say) with a p-value of 0.07, but that doesn’t cut it. This is another mystery for another blog post.
before.

Never before have I seen "are innings in which 550+ is scored really associated with flat pitches? Who can truly say?" presented unironically

Last edited:

Jfry

U19 Debutant
Similar analysis can be done with individual scores probably. I guess that leads to questions about selfishness vs flat pitches in some of these triples

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never understood why people say a batsman is "unlucky" to get out but Brook's dismissal almost qualifies.
All of the batsmen got themselves out though and even with Australia's negative mindset still scored at 5 an over.
The declaration was justified imo. With the chance of getting No 3 in as opposed to 20-30 more runs max, it was wort a go.
how was he unlucky he failed to use his bat to stop the ball two times. it's one of the most deserved wickets of all time

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That awkward moment when you reuse a SHADY SLIM joke

nah

ataraxia

International Coach
Excuse me, this is new cricket terminology. In my years following English bazball, I haven't yet come across the term maiden. Can someone please enlighten me?