• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Yeah agree with this. Aus were a long way from their best today and we didn't really get on top of them........we're going to have much tougher days during the series so gotta make days like today really count and drive home the initiative while we've got it.
Yeah fuming with some of the soft dismissals and then we compound things by declaring far too early. They have the top 3 batsman in world so what on earth is Stokes thinking just chucking away useful runs.

Victor Ian

International Coach
if England had taken a wicket it would have been a success. as it is, they've made our openers start twice. cant judge it a fail unless they dont get aan early wicket tomorrow.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Yeah I cannot get my head around turning down around extra runs when Joe looked so comfortable. Ben why not just wait until he got out then made the declaration.
Ideally, you want them batting for a shorter session tomorrow so the opening bowlers are still fully fresh for the afternoon session, "have two goes at them" that way. There are 5 days available. That way you can also score some more runs, maybe the match-deciding runs, so it's win-win.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Reckon England will regret leaving Mark Wood out of the lineup. Robinson and the geriatrics will have a tough time on a deck this flat, especially if Australia are able to extend their innings past lunch on day 3.
Yeah know we will have to manage the likes of Wood but leaving him out on flat pitch is dumb. How on earth do we expect to take 20 wickets when there isn't enough pace in attack.

I am still hours later absolutely fuming at that ridiculous unnecessary declaration. We have just handed the day and momentum for day 2 to them with that decision. Hope Stokes is prepared to back his decision when questioned after the match.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
if England had taken a wicket it would have been a success. as it is, they've made our openers start twice. cant judge it a fail unless they dont get aan early wicket tomorrow.
It’s already a failure as the decision was predicated upon taking a wicket last night & Australia will be batting on Day 2 regardless

As it stands, all the declaration achieved was forfeiting the opportunity of more first innings runs & 150 years of test history tells us that it’s rarely a good idea when your team barely has a par score on the board

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Yeah I can definitely see why some people would've picked Starc but the three they picked are better than him and he was bowling like a drain so you don't need to get into psychoanalysis to see why he was left out. They valued quality over variety.
That's where a smart captain looks at Hazlewood in particular and wants to tire them out as much as possible by making them drag themselves through overs to the end of the day and also the start of the morning session tomorrow.

halba

International 12th Man
This series is going to be meh. groundsmen have been ordered for fast and flat wickets. It looks like bazball is just built for flat Rawlpindi type decks only- anyone can score on flat decks, you dont bazball, or any method really.

In Conclusion Bazball is the biggest hype ever.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
It’s already a failure as the decision was predicated upon taking a wicket last night & Australia will be batting on Day 2 regardless

As it stands, all the declaration achieved was forfeiting the opportunity of more first innings runs & 150 years of test history tells us that it’s rarely a good idea when your team barely has a par score on the board
Yeah like someone said it's the daftest decision at Edgbaston since Ponting choosing to bowl in 2005. I am 100% certain this is gonna backfire badly and cost us match. We don't want to be giving the Aussies that confidence of a 1-0 lead.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's where a smart captain looks at Hazlewood in particular and wants to tire them out as much as possible by making them drag themselves through overs to the end of the day and also the start of the morning session tomorrow.
This is one of the downsides of "bazball". You don't tire the bowlers out as much, which can be an incredibly important tactic in a 5 match series

Flem274*

123/5
I was staggered by the declaration but now Flem thinks it was dumb my only problem with it is we didn’t do it sooner. Should have declared on 280 and shown those bitches that we don’t fear their sorry arses.
I was legitimately considering making a post like, "The fate of Test cricket hinges on that declaration backfiring."

Flem hating it so much now has me quite conflicted though.
Good to know I have free accommodation overseas whenever I need it.