• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The declaration is different, but England are all out for less with these players under a more ‘classic’ approach. I don’t even see how there’s an argument against that

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The best poker players have solid strategies that play the odds and beat the toughest opposition when cards fall their way. This just feels like England got a reasonably good hand and they're pushing despite what the opposition might have in reply. Feels like fly by the seat of your pants gambling
It reminds me a bit of NZ's captaincy 'strategies' from Jan 2013 - Feb 2016.

halba

International 12th Man
Dumb declaration. It was dumb the last time they tried it and if they're stubbornly trying to make it work again then lol. Should have piled on as much as possible. Aussie could score 600 on this deck if they get a head of steam up.

In saying that, looks an excellent knock from Root and Bairstow and Australia's bowlers will need to lift next time.
450-500 aussies.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aus will play their normal game. Try to bore and tire the bowler to 450-500 or so.
Is it?
England are all out for less with these players under a more ‘classic’ approach.
The only way that is likely is if it's a team of players that are incapable of playing classical Test cricket well and genuinely have better results being ultra-aggressive, which might be true but it would make the whole "baz ball" approach one of necessity rather than choice or innovation.

A better Test team that could hit 8/393 here, would also be able to bat to 550/8 playing more orthodox cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon England will regret leaving Mark Wood out of the lineup. Robinson and the geriatrics will have a tough time on a deck this flat, especially if Australia are able to extend their innings past lunch on day 3.

Shady Slim

International Coach
*** tzu does it again, masterfully baiting a hilariously questionable declaration out of the tactically bereft earn the right to be aggressive poms
1686961974142.png

the big bambino

International Captain
First look at Bazball and it's main feature is how it turns good batsmen (but hardly atgs) into world beaters. Pitch conditions probably explaining some of the transformation. The Australians were criticised for playing sweepers but I think its fine against this sort of batting. Australia employed that type of tactic against India's fantastic four back in the day with some success. England are going to go after the bowling anyway and you can see how they could've scored even faster given the conditions. Australia would've had to have gone defensive at some point of the day anyway you'd think.

The importance of the single and strike rotation seems to me to be an understated foundation of bazball and almost a throwback to the old days of odis when quick singles were a feature of Simpson era batting before the emphasis on power. Still getting used to first day declarations but understandable in the context of the strategy.

Can't recall seeing such a brownish pitch in England. Wonder how it will hold up?

SillyCowCorner1

Hahaha this is so wild. England declared 8 down on day one and Australia have had no time to bat,yet this guy is exactly right that Australia are probably in front. It's just weird to think a team who declares near stumps on day one isn't in the ascendancy.

+++

The best poker players have solid strategies that play the odds and beat the toughest opposition when cards fall their way. This just feels like England got a reasonably good hand and they're pushing despite what the opposition might have in reply. Feels like fly by the seat of your pants gambling
In a nutshell,

England's approach is pompous.

It's like taking out ur **** and showing it to ur opponent as a form of dominance.

*-please excuse my analogy

Spikey

1/86 off 14 overs, questions need to be asked about Starc's inclusion in this game. very expensive.
my for real opinion is that I reckon they got spooked by the idea of starc going for 50 runs off a 5 over spell or whatever and so went for 'control', but also: you got spooked.