• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
You can criticise England's approach at times under Stokes and McCullum.

Even today, should we have been a bit more cautious, should we have batted on instead of declaring?

The answer from a purely cricketing viewpoint is probably yes.

But one thing that you can't dispute is that the way we now play test cricket is hugely entertaining. Nobody who was at Edgbaston today, or watching or listening around the world will have felt short changed.

Over here, this series is the most anticipated Ashes series in living memory.

People who haven't got any real interest in cricket wanted to see the game.

And the reason for that is the way we play the game.

So whatever you think about Bazball, and whoever you want to win, that can't be anything but good for the game of cricket.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So there's my first glimpse of bazball. I love it. They lose wickets at the same rate, but now have an extra hundred or so on the board when they finish.

I love the declaration. If the English weren't unwashed with crooked teeth I'd be singing their praises.

Hopefully, Australia uses the extra time available in this test to go past that score in a methodical way.

Why didn't Anderson bowl? I'm less and less impressed with his recent stats with each appearance the cherry picker makes.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You can criticise England's approach at times under Stokes and McCullum.

Even today, should we have been a bit more cautious, should we have batted on instead of declaring?

The answer from a purely cricketing viewpoint is probably yes.

But one thing that you can't dispute is that the way we now play test cricket is hugely entertaining. Nobody who was at Edgbaston today, or watching or listening around the world will have felt short changed.

Over here, this series is the most anticipated Ashes series in living memory.

People who haven't got any real interest in cricket wanted to see the game.

And the reason for that is the way we play the game.

So whatever you think about Bazball, and whoever you want to win, that can't be anything but good for the game of cricket.
Batting on would have been both entertaining and smart but alright

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Today was why I love test cricket.

The **** talking on CricketWeb, the rash aggression, both sides being psyched out, the unorthodox tactics and the controversy generated by Stokes' declaration; you will not find another sport so captivating.

In the end I feel Australia have their noses in front.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely England ahead in the game right now IMO. Far from game over though, nothing wrong with the pitch by the looks of things. First session tonight will be critical

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In the end I feel Australia have their noses in front.
Hahaha this is so wild. England declared 8 down on day one and Australia have had no time to bat,yet this guy is exactly right that Australia are probably in front. It's just weird to think a team who declares near stumps on day one isn't in the ascendancy.

Some people will want to say well it's all part of the approach, it's envigorating Test cricket, the aggressive approach is bound to be up for debate at times...and that stuff is all good and correct. But this isn't Bairstow walking past one on a run a ball 70 which is forgivable. It's a decision made by people outside the playing area who have ample time to look at this and assess the whole picture not only of this Test but the last week and the 6 to follow. It's a gamble and I don't think it's based around any meaningfully rational thought, apart from the new ball and some conception that Australia's openers might not fancy it late in the day.
In fact, now Australia come out somewhat buoyed at 0-for, had some time to assess the pitch, and certainly I would think stoked they're not still out in the field. I think they'd be very happy as a group. England handed that to them.

The best poker players have solid strategies that play the odds and beat the toughest opposition when cards fall their way. This just feels like England got a reasonably good hand and they're pushing despite what the opposition might have in reply. Feels like fly by the seat of your pants gambling

Flem274*

123/5
Dumb declaration. It was dumb the last time they tried it and if they're stubbornly trying to make it work again then lol. Should have piled on as much as possible. Aussie could score 600 on this deck if they get a head of steam up.

In saying that, looks an excellent knock from Root and Bairstow and Australia's bowlers will need to lift next time.

halba

International 12th Man
This pitch is very very flat. Warner had no trouble v broad in his little stint.

Still time for a result. Aus will want atleast 450 to be in a ok position for 2nd inn shoot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was staggered by the declaration but now Flem thinks it was dumb my only problem with it is we didn’t do it sooner. Should have declared on 280 and shown those bitches that we don’t fear their sorry arses.
I was legitimately considering making a post like, "The fate of Test cricket hinges on that declaration backfiring."

Flem hating it so much now has me quite conflicted though.

halba

International 12th Man
I hope Warner scores a slow and boring anti Bazball 80 off 220 as the Aussies bat and bat.
Aus will play their normal game. Try to bore and tire the bowler to 450-500 or so. If they can get more, they will not declare

I dont see english bowlers doing anything on this really flat wicket. All 3 bowlers are average 132kph. Robinson is not even 130kph, he's 125kph or thereabouts. Tall but Military Medium pace. Moeen Ali- he doesnt inspire fear- hes just part timer as is Root. Anderson - 40 plus years old, is reliant on swing and im concerned about his body at this age.

This is going to be a very tough series for the bowlers. Half of eng squad bowlers are injured or returning from injury. Australia will need to play Neser and/or Abbott after this test- the bowlers will be dog tired for the 2nd test. i rate both - Abbott is also good with the bat.

Season to date: 21 wickets at 28.19, 298 runs at 49.66 - Abbott figures in county-those figures are world class.

Hazlewood will obviously ,given his history of injuries, be rested. Boland should be rested- played Two on the trot. That brings the swing bowlers Neser and Abbott into reckoning.

Starc shouldnt be used as he will be tonked for 7RPO, hes useless in these conditions and the Selectors agree.

Theres also no swing on offer- its really a road.

These pitches are when a big turner like Warne would've been handy. But we have none anymore- nobody does.

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Well that was a losing bet

Root & Robinson were in no trouble all & could easily have put on some useful runs

Instead, they’ve handed a lifeline to Australia who finished the day at least square

Given how flat the deck is, they’d have taken that all day
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes, the reason why people don't make the decision that you've just made is...because it's stupid, not because they just haven't thought of it! I hate Bazball. If Test cricket is going to go this way, I demand the return of Timeless Tests to balance things out on the side of the purists. Let me enjoy a nice forward defence or leave outside the off-stump.

Last edited: