• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Have england very slightly ahead after day one on the old principle of 400 odd usually a good score first dig, though I’m sure they’ll feel they should have made more on that deck

None down at stumps very handy for Aus. Warner already exceeded anything Marcus Harris would have done and tbh looked as good at the start of dig as he has in two years.He’d be a very relieved fella I imagine
I'd have your lot marginally ahead - 400 is 50 shy of a par score on what looks an absolute road.

I think both sides will be happy enough. We've got runs on the board and we've shown on this sort of pitch, we can score very quickly even against this Aussie line up.

I thought Crawley batted well, considering the pressure he's under. Root looked in no trouble and it's a pity nobody could stay with him for longer.

The Aussies bowled better as the day went on, and whilst they won't be happy at going for nearly 400 in a day, they'll fancy racking up a big score tomorrow.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean there's bold...and there's 8 down in the opening Ashes Test, a guy who has 11000 Test runs and just scored his 30th Ton not out at the crease and another guy who can really get at it bold.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the old 'do what the opposition least wants you to do' edict but I certainly do believe in putting yourself in their shoes and thinking about how your decisions might affect them. Australia played a Test six days ago, their bowlers - especially Cummins - are looking ahead at a five-Test series and you willingly give them a break because...the new ball is around the corner and so is close of play? That's enough to make that call? Wowee.

The common way is to say a declaration is good or bad based on the result, but I say this one smells no matter what. Nasser Hussain's decision at the toss in Brisbane could be about to be dwarfed by this one in terms of putrid 1st day Ashes decisions. I hate it, I know #bazball and all but this one feels far more reckless and miscalculated than anything before.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The declaration against Pakistan was probably just as stupid, but they got lucky and got away with it so it's not remembered so much.
This may also be forgotten if they get away with it, but really it's stupidity at it's very best.
Yeah, agreed. Pakistan isn't a five-match series against a side they've had mental blocks with before, who are essentially themselves playing in a six-Test series. Honestly, I hate it. This makes Baz's online gambling ads look sharp in comparison.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’d be more understandable if the total was already imposing and if the conditions were alright for bowling but this is flat and Australia are a good batting side atm. Predicting some long hours in the field over the weekend.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Considering the pitch, sub-par bowling and fielding, and how England have been going recently, I'd wouldn't have been too unhappy with that. Sure getting then out for less than 300 would have been best, but we're not out of the game.

Very much depends on batting well though. Which is a big 'if'.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Overnight spread for Australian runs is 400-415 which indicates just how closely poised this match is at the moment.
Remains to be seen obviously but England giving up on possibly 30-50 extra runs may well come back to bite them in the arse.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Just dropping in to say that not playing Starc here is a diabolical decision. I don't get that decision one bit. Unbelievably bizarre

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean I disagree. I didn't see any of today's play so presume Hazelwood was very good by all accounts?
I still think it's a dreadful call. He's a much improved test bowler from 2019 and this attack is just too samey in his absence
Starc should have been a lock for this test irrespective of the other options imo (obvs Cummins is the other) Hazelwood is quality, but far too injury prone these days

slowfinger

International Debutant
Moeen and Root's bowling are going to be so important tomorrow. Lyon got whacked but got himself a 4 fer and bowled a serious amount of overs. If Moeen gets whacked tomorrow (which is what Australia will go for), then the seamers are going to be ****ed on a hard pitch to bowl on.
Not a lot of swing either and the weather is looking perhaps a bit cloudier.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Does Bazball mean Moeen might try and pitch the ball up instead of bowling 3 short balls an over? Is what I want to know

Socerer 01

International Captain
I mean I disagree. I didn't see any of today's play so presume Hazelwood was very good by all accounts?
I still think it's a dreadful call. He's a much improved test bowler from 2019 and this attack is just too samey in his absence
Starc should have been a lock for this test irrespective of the other options imo (obvs Cummins is the other) Hazelwood is quality, but far too injury prone these days
i would have agreed if Starc wasn’t bowling dross last week on a better pitch