• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

loterry1994

International Debutant
Don’t get how people still say this pitch wasn’t flat and a road. Stokes before the game publicly said he wanted these type of pitches and here’s what the curator produced

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reverse is more a function of the outfield no? Cummins et al certainly are no slouches as they proved in Pakistan and they couldn't get it to go at all today.
Its also a bit about the action and stuff, I believe. I guess we will see how it goes tomorrow. Everything else being equal and pitch not changing too much, Australia should look to bat all day and be 330/4 or something like that.

kevinw

International 12th Man
I forget now long the unbeaten run Eng had prior to the 2005 Ashes, but the only people that were surprised by the fact that we were a very good cricket side were Aussies like you that seem to forget cricket is played in other parts of the world.

KP didn't transform weak as piss England you clown.......for sure he made the side stronger and played some incredible innings for us. But you have to be bat**** crazy or a die hard IPL fan to even think that any opposition would prefer to face Joe Root over KP.....its laughable.
And KP took Thorpe's place, who was still in decent nick when he was dropped (in hindsight Bell should've been left out in 2015 as he had a real stinker).

chris.hinton

International Captain
Don't mind the declaration but I feel that we should have got 450 on the board. Less then 400 with Australia's batting is not enough and with 3,4,5 the top 3 in the world it's bold. We do lack a bit of pace and i would have had Wood instead of Broad.

Tomorrow will have an outside chance of a few showers. Sunday could be spicy with rain stopping play a lot

All to play for.

Spark

Global Moderator
Its also a bit about the action and stuff, I believe. I guess we will see how it goes tomorrow. Everything else being equal and pitch not changing too much, Australia should look to bat all day and be 330/4 or something like that.
Yeah deterioration is the big unknown. But the risk then is that this isn't a traditional English pitch, this is a traditional Indian pitch where being short of 400 on the first innings means that you get destroyed in the 3rd innings after conceding a first innings lead and then the pitch starts playing tricks.

Having said that, the real problem isn't the declaration, because maybe Robinson and then Anderson are blasted out by the new ball in the subsequent ten minutes anyway, it's that the entire English middle order decided they were in a charitable mood, one after the other.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah deterioration is the big unknown. But the risk then is that this isn't a traditional English pitch, this is a traditional Indian pitch where being short of 400 on the first innings means that you get destroyed in the 3rd innings after conceding a first innings lead and then the pitch starts playing tricks.
Very possible. But I also think this Aussie batting line up is never far away from a lollapse, so it will be a fun day to watch tomorrow.

Spark

Global Moderator
In any case I think Aus should be delighted, in no small part because I only think Lyon and Hazlewood were anywhere near the usual standard today. The rest - including the fielders - were well off it. England let us off the hook massively and could easily be out of sight with a little more discipline.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In any case I think Aus should be delighted, in no small part because I only think Lyon and Hazlewood were anywhere near the usual standard today. The rest - including the fielders - were well off it. England let us off the hook massively and could easily be out of sight with a little more discipline.
Yeah agree with this. Aus were a long way from their best today and we didn't really get on top of them........we're going to have much tougher days during the series so gotta make days like today really count and drive home the initiative while we've got it.

White Ball

State 12th Man
There is boldness then there is plain stupid!
On a deck this flat England are below par.. it’s Day 1 and Root is still in going great guns, to then declare is basically handing the intiative on a plate to the opposition.