• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Blast 2023

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbf he does have a first class hundred to his name. And he's played a number of handy knocks in D1 of the CC this year, almost making three figures in one of the recent games. If anything, his batting has been better than his bowling in the four-day matches. So he can bat. But I won't pretend I thought he'd do what he's just done tonight. And I doubt whether our Australian folks regard him as an all-rounder.

Anyway, good start by Kent in reply. Chasing this down in 16 overs at present rate.

And going back to AliTT's original point, the same bloke who averages 20.8 with the ball in this form of the game, with career best 5 for 16, has just seen his first two wicketless overs disappear for 31. Make of it all what we will.
Mark Waugh's gonna join this forum just to give you a spray for this.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Abbott had an average SS this season with the bat but was really good in a couple of years prior

From what I have seen, he’s generally been batting too low for Surrey as no reason why he couldn’t be a good contributor at 7 in CC

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Abbott had an average SS this season with the bat but was really good in a couple of years prior

From what I have seen, he’s generally been batting too low for Surrey as no reason why he couldn’t be a good contributor at 7 in CC
They don't really need more bowlers with their balance but yeah he should probably be batting above Clark in the Championship anyway.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
:cool:

I'm sure I'd consider it an honour.

tbh I had regarded Abbott as a bowler who could bat a bit. Wrongly, as it turns out.
His batting form these past few months has been odd, NGL. He had a 2/3 year stretch where he was averaging 50 with the bat in FC and batting top 6 for NSW, but he regressed a bit last season and couldn't buy a run for the sixers in the big Bash. Seeing him average 50 in div 1 county and play an innings like this is completely unexpected

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blast this year is basically a glorified 2nd XI league because of the IPL getting dibs on most worthwhile players, innit?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here are the highlights in case anyone wants to watch Abbott's innings.

As a side issue, Surrey seem to be treating their batting in these matches order like it's a kids' game. We saw Narine and Overton both in the top 5 for their first game, and neither of them in the top 7 last night, allowing another couple of guys to have a go. Which worked out pretty well of course. Someone reckoned that SCurran's batting as a pinch hitter at number 3, but I don't think that's quite right. I think he's there as a proper batsman in this line-up, especially with his older brother at number 4 as a happy slogger. Although, tbf, Tom can bat too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They don't really need more bowlers with their balance but yeah he should probably be batting above Clark in the Championship anyway.
He may well do now. I suspect that Surrey hadn't realised quite how good a batsman Abbott is, but he's produced a number of good innings in the CC, even before last night's performance. Previously, Clark had been an above average number 8 for us, whereas he's a middling number 7.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
3 games tomorrow all at different times but none are on Sky.

IPL final obviously taking precedence.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Blast this year is basically a glorified 2nd XI league because of the IPL getting dibs on most worthwhile players, innit?
Really?

The Blast started on 20th May but with only a couple of games. Lancashire and Yorkshire were most effected missing all of their IPL players. But not enough to call them 2nd XIs.
By the time other counties were involved on 24th May there was scarely any IPL overlap in terms of Counties being effected. Chris Jordan and Moeen Ali probably the only ones. Harry Brook's last game was on 21st May.
By the 25th May Lancashire were only missing Buttler (who hardly ever plays anyway) Salt and Livingstone played.

The number of county players missing, even so far, could be counted on one hand. Overseas county players will have like for like replacements more often than not.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The number of county players missing, even so far, could be counted on one hand. Overseas county players will have like for like replacements more often than not
The replacements are much worse though. Imagine how bad the bloke that's the back up to Chris Jordan must be.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
The replacements are much worse though. Imagine how bad the bloke that's the back up to Chris Jordan must be.
I lose track is Chris Jordan back at Surrey these days? If so that's a bit harsh on 20 year old Tom Lawes. Not that Surrey suffered greatly. Suspect Surrey happy giving their vast squad a run out anyway.