• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

cnerd123

likes this
If it deserves discussion, can we create a separate thread and discuss it? This thread is to fight for the rights of those unjustly banned. #GSKohli
I think this discussion has been had in detail in the Emerging Cricket thread before. Probably a good place to restart it if anyone feels strongly enough.

But yes back on topic - #FreeGSKohli

Surely it's about time we introduce ****blocking posters from certain threads / banning them from making new ones? There's been at least a dozen occasions in the last couple of years where these would have been appropriate solutions. Is it really just the forum tech making it not possible, or does it require a level of time/financial investment that the Mods/Admins don't have?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd like to propose a pardon for GSK in recognition of his ban actually getting a proper problem banned.
I was serious when i wasn't sure he spoke English. His posts almost never interact with others and he doesn't seem to really understand the issues people have with him. Might be using an interest in cricket and online resources to fake it

srbhkshk

International Captain
I was serious when i wasn't sure he spoke English. His posts almost never interact with others and he doesn't seem to really understand the issues people have with him. Might be using an interest in cricket and online resources to fake it
He does know English well enough to converse, maybe he doesn't understand what a forum is and uses it more like the comments section of something.

Since 1968/69 i was very Keen on All cricket.

i think i am oldest person at this forum, cricket is my Passion,

Frankly speaking, i have plenty of time after my retirement to Follow all cricket around Global World, In india you have much oppertunity to even watch live games than anywhere (USA were i spend 40+ years before my retirement)

See you around, wC Qualifiers in Zimbabwe with 10 teams & 34 matches from June 18-july 8 or 9 will be interesting. I have chance to see on Fancode india.

T20 Blast / CPL
SA vs Aus 5 ODI in SA / ind vs SA test plus.... Big big list i am more interested in up coming Ashes

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reads to me like someone that doesn't speak English beyond a very basic understanding using google translate or similar to augment it.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I have seen other posts by him of similar nature (tbf they are minority compared to his copy paste spams), but I don't really think he is a bot or a troll or plain unfamiliar with English, my guess is just someone who doesn't quite understand what a forum is. For all I know he might never have actually bothered (or knew how to) to read any mod instructions sent to him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I suppose it's not really a response to Athlai, but they way I see it - I just find the whole situation a little sad, as in I actually agree that Banning him is probably the correct thing to do in absence of things suggested by cnerd- but I am also inclined to take GS Kohli at face value and thus acknowledging that doing so probably does devoid a potentially technologically challenged retiree from doing something he finds at least some joy in given the amount of time he spends here.

Shady Slim

International Coach
all jokes aside though lemme put on my serious hat (inb4 this gets an “ok”)

i’m struggling still to work out exactly what he did wrong? so there were those plagiarism concerns earlier, which he was banned for, remembering this was a ban which was reduced on account of popular protest. and indeed on his return to the forum, he begun to explicitly credit places from which he found those article posts or the stat bites.

so

moving on from that, his crime has been… what exactly? i’m just a bit uneasy with general notions of “this person and their posting doesn’t add much to the forum, so they should be banned”. i understand that there is no Constitutional Right To Post™️ but to my mind that is too hardline. especially when you’ve got established members who get away with exceptionally racist and transphobic dogwhistling, heck and at times more than just dogwhistling, because they’re an established member.

brook’s side was full of **** in his thread where he called this place, in substance, insular and a hivemind; one only has to read the news and politics subforum to know that all sorts of diverse viewpoints are tolerated here. some of them, if i was a mod, i frankly wouldn’t. the analogy of how if you’re one of the regulars at the pub you get more latitude is a good one. but frankly if you’re banning someone for what is just seen as general low quality posting that’s really bad i would say like

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shady he never listens to mod instructions. The infractions add up. Makes tour threads and other threads that are just **** and mean an unpaid volunteer has to go in and edit his prolific posts.

Its no conspiracy. If GSK listened even slightly there would be no issue

Shady Slim

International Coach
Shady he never listens to mod instructions. The infractions add up. Makes tour threads and other threads that are just **** and mean an unpaid volunteer has to go in and edit his prolific posts.

Its no conspiracy. If GSK listened even slightly there would be no issue
the having to fix the tour threads sure i get that, but he wasn’t making other threads after the first ban at such a vociferous and offensive rate that the forum was being clogged to the extent of say, during when all of cricket chat was x player vs y to my mind

and look i don’t think it’s a conspiracy or anything i just think it’s too heavy handed and not fair

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean the post that I ended up banning him for was a long list of IPL stats in... the NZ vs Pakistan thread. There's only so many times I can ask him to not do something, it must have been like a dozen plus in the last few weeks, before enough is enough.

You also don't get anything like the full picture of how many threads he makes because I have to merge and delete so many. Which, again, I asked him again and again to avoid.

Someone asked in this thread why we didn't just ban him on spamming grounds. Quite frankly I don't have a reasonable answer to that question.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the having to fix the tour threads sure i get that, but he wasn’t making other threads after the first ban at such a vociferous and offensive rate that the forum was being clogged to the extent of say, during when all of cricket chat was x player vs y to my mind

and look i don’t think it’s a conspiracy or anything i just think it’s too heavy handed and not fair
As I said a few days before he got his ban, people will absolutely complain either way:

Eh, still good to have a thread to discuss the actual matches in. I don't mind having separate threads for A tours, we had one for NZ A v Aus A recently.

As far as GS Kohli's other antics go - we can't get him to stop. When @Spark banned him for ignoring our instructions people complained that it was too harsh, so we can't win. We're definitely not going to be spending our time deleting or editing 20 of his posts per day. We either cop it or we ban him.
We can't alter his behaviour. It's either let him flagrantly and repeatedly ignore instructions, or ban him. My approach has typically been the former while Spark's has been the latter, but there's no perfect solution here. When we don't ban him, people who actually use the threads he posts in get infuriated by the relentless copy/pasting of scorecards, articles and results.

You probably haven't noticed as much because Australia haven't been playing and you don't post a lot in the other threads, but it's a nightmare. Putting him on ignore isn't an option either because he creates so many of the threads that it means you miss them all if you do that.

Eventually it got to a point where our inclination to allow him to enjoy the forum as long as he wasn't being malicious was just affecting everyone else's ability to do the same to too big a degree.