• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

FBU

International Debutant
Although I said on here a few weeks ago that I don't think he'll play another test and rightly so, looking at the lower order, I am tempted to stick Woakes in in place of Broad.

Btw, everyone was up in arms recently at the mere suggestion of dropping Foakes. Am I right in thinking that everyone is now dropping Foakes?
Last Ashes in 2019

Archer 4 Tests 22 wickets at 22.27
Broad 5 Tests 23 wickets at 26.65
Woakes 4 Tests 10 wickets at 33.10
Curran 1 Test 3 wickets at 22.67

If Stokes is unable to bowl it will be either Woakes or Curran as the 4th Bowler
Woakes was dropped for Overton due to loss of form, then next Test Overton was injured replaced by Curran and the final Test Stokes couldn't bowl and Woakes was brought back.

The two best bowlers against Australia are Archer and Broad.

Wouldn't drop Foakes, best wicketkeeper and builder of partnerships. Crawley drops most catches which is even worse than his batting. Labuschagne has been dropped off 38% of the chances that he has offered, more than anyone who has played over 30 Tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woakes is a cheat code in english conditions. A bowling attack of robinson-anderson-broad with the dukes is also lethal but woakes batting is SO valuable and his bowling is as good as those 3 in english conditions. Good problem to have, england's fast bowling depth in general is really solid.
Only took 10 poles in 4 tests in 2019 tbf, but should certainly be in the discussion given his overall home record.

Burgey

Good word, pizzling. In fact I can only remember anyone using it once before. And it was you, Burgey, just as England were about to begin their second innings* at the Gabba in 2010.

*517/1 declared
Lol good times. I hopped on a plane to the UK as England began their second dig and was disagreeably surprised at the score when I landed.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really don’t understand the disrespect that Foakes receives as it’s not his fault that the top order blows chunks

He’s a world class keeper and his batting record is perfectly acceptable

Son Of Coco

Good word, pizzling. In fact I can only remember anyone using it once before. And it was you, Burgey, just as England were about to begin their second innings* at the Gabba in 2010.

*517/1 declared
What a series that was...one where many Australian fans could apparently work out that bowling short **** wasn't a viable tactic. Nobody involved with the Australian team could see this however.

Starfighter

Speaking of tactics, I wonder how many runs Australia will concede to the third man boundary before it is realised that not having a fielder there because 'it's negative' is stupid. I don't recall if they ever learned the lesson in 2013.

Son Of Coco

Speaking of tactics, I wonder how many runs Australia will concede to the third man boundary before it is realised that not having a fielder there because 'it's negative' is stupid. I don't recall if they ever learned the lesson in 2013.
If England shorten the boundaries, 3rd slip will be in that position anyway.

Burgey

I think they had one for decent portions of the 2019 series but I might be mistaken.

I'd definitely employ a fly slip though. If they're going to bat like D grade park sloggers then the D grade park field settings should come into play as well, and look for the top edged attempted hoick to mid wicket going over slips.

Molehill

International Captain
During the rain break in the IPL yesterday, they showed an Ian Bell ton from 2013.....and yes, a lot of runs went through 3rd Man!!

Shady Slim

International Coach
Just been thinking, could the smaller boundary things be in response to the follow on loss to NZ aswell? If the boundaries are smaller then the fielders are probably gonna be covering less distance over the same time period since there's not as many 2's/3's available, right? If England are gonna be batting 50/60 overs most innings they probably wanna minimize the time there bowlers spend on the field when the opposition is batting.
nah man you’re thinking too much it’s just they’re cowards tbqh

social

During the rain break in the IPL yesterday, they showed an Ian Bell ton from 2013.....and yes, a lot of runs went through 3rd Man!!
Australia looked down on Vaughan’s 2005 tactics of cutting off boundaries for quite some time but reality is that it worked

Starfighter

I know, I remember it like it was yesterday how he scored boundary after boundary down there.
Australia looked down on Vaughan’s 2005 tactics of cutting off boundaries for quite some time but reality is that it worked
I hate the idea that gets promulgated in this country that not having four slips and field full of gaps is 'negative'. You have to adapt to the circumstances, and BazBall has a clear case for a third man.

Molehill

International Captain
I know, I remember it like it was yesterday how he scored boundary after boundary down there.
I hate the idea that gets promulgated in this country that not having four slips and field full of gaps is 'negative'. You have to adapt to the circumstances, and BazBall has a clear case for a third man.
I think if Australia can work out the right field, it will frustrate some English batsmen not being able to score boundaries. I might leave Third Man free if you've got 3 or 4 slips in, but I'd want either a deep point or cover to frustrate a batsman only getting a single for a decent cover drive.

I'd keep 2 men back leg side the whole time too. They will go after short stuff and normally try and hit 6's.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe they simply had a proper appreciation of Ian Bell's late cut as one of the most glorious sights in cricket and didn't want to miss out on seeing it.