• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
I suspect they'll run with this first up. Maybe Wood or Archer for Broad, though I'm not sure about Archer's recurring elbow problems. Either way, the 8-11 is a bunny-a-thon.

View attachment 35699
Yeah I think as things stand that's the most likely team they pick. Foakes doesn't deserve to be dropped and Crawley does but the middle order is where the competition is.

Wood could replace Broad in the line up if the pitch looks like being a total road but expect the latter will play at Edgbaston and Wood will play a part later in the series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I imagine they'll want to play the Broad and Anderson together first up if they're both fit. Archer is the obvious question mark, fitness wise. He's a terrific bowler, but barely been on the park.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah I imagine they'll want to play the Broad and Anderson together first up if they're both fit. Archer is the obvious question mark, fitness wise. He's a terrific bowler, but barely been on the park.
I don't see Archer playing any role in the Ashes. If he can't bowl 4 overs for Mumbai twice a week then he's hardly going to play a Test. Sadly, I'm not sure he'll ever bowl a red ball again. Given that Broad, Anderson and Robinson are all playing CC and not at the IPL, I think (barring injury) they are the most likely selection for the First Test.

Form over the next month may well decide who keeps.

Brook's side

International Regular
Although I said on here a few weeks ago that I don't think he'll play another test and rightly so, looking at the lower order, I am tempted to stick Woakes in in place of Broad.

Btw, everyone was up in arms recently at the mere suggestion of dropping Foakes. Am I right in thinking that everyone is now dropping Foakes?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Bairstow is ready, He's been smashing 95mph balls without pads on. Sent the footage to an unnamed aussie fast bowler who replied "****

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The reason Woakes shouldn't be considered for overseas Tests again is the same reason he should totally be considered in England. He averages 35 with the bat and 22 with the ball in 25 home Tests. It's frustrating how crap he is away from home but you can't just throw away that sort of record when you know which conditions he thrives in.

I wouldn't pick him at full strength because Robinson, Broad and Anderson aren't exactly crap in England either, but he should be an option in the squad for sure.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason Woakes shouldn't be considered for overseas Tests again is the same reason he should totally be considered in England. He averages 35 with the bat and 22 with the ball in 25 home Tests. It's frustrating how crap he is away from home but you can't just throw away that sort of record when you know which conditions he thrives in.

I wouldn't pick him at full strength because Robinson, Broad and Anderson aren't exactly crap in England either, but he should be an option in the squad for sure.
Woakes is a cheat code in english conditions. A bowling attack of robinson-anderson-broad with the dukes is also lethal but woakes batting is SO valuable and his bowling is as good as those 3 in english conditions. Good problem to have, england's fast bowling depth in general is really solid.

Molehill

International Captain
Woakes is a cheat code in english conditions. A bowling attack of robinson-anderson-broad with the dukes is also lethal but woakes batting is SO valuable and his bowling is as good as those 3 in english conditions. Good problem to have, england's fast bowling depth in general is really solid.
I would hope England wouldn't need to go outside of those 4 plus Wood for selection. If they do, Potts is probably the next cab, but he's still quite raw.

I really have no idea how they're going to get Bairstow into this team, but it feels like if he's fit, he's in and then they'll work out who gets dropped.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Btw, everyone was up in arms recently at the mere suggestion of dropping Foakes. Am I right in thinking that everyone is now dropping Foakes?
I don't want Foakes dropped, but it seems the most likely way England will cram Bairstow back into the team. Would be happy to be wrong on that point.

Although I said on here a few weeks ago that I don't think he'll play another test and rightly so, looking at the lower order, I am tempted to stick Woakes in in place of Broad.
Woakes :wub:

kevinw

International 12th Man
I would hope England wouldn't need to go outside of those 4 plus Wood for selection. If they do, Potts is probably the next cab, but he's still quite raw.

I really have no idea how they're going to get Bairstow into this team, but it feels like if he's fit, he's in and then they'll work out who gets dropped.
Should be one of the top three, either ZC or Pope tbh.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think our bowling line up for the first test will in part depend on how much Stokes can bowl.

If he can bowl as required then I think we'll play Wood in place of Broad.

If Stokes can't bowl then it'll be Broad.

I'd be surprised if Archer played given his complete lack of red ball cricket recently but never say never.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I think you're very wrong (as is usual) what im reading here is that most people are just accepting that it's going to be YJB for Foakes as that appears to be the way it's going to play out.

I for one and I think quite a few people agree, that that's a mistake and it's not our best 11.........Bairstow in for Crawley is the best option or even Pope is preferable to dropping Foakes.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, I think you're very wrong (as is usual)
Yesssssssss

And that's exactly what I was reading into it to. You'd think Bairstow has to come in, meanwhile Crawley seems untouchable. Doesn't leave much room for Foakes.