• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Molehill

International Captain
Remind me which other team has ever scored over 500 runs on the first day of a test in only 75 overs bowled. Who was that again?

Look for all the talk of Bazball being all about the biff, one thing hasn't changed in test cricket......you still need to take 20 wickets to win. McStokes has managed to win 10 from 12 so there is more to the approach than just belting the ball and scoring quick.
They've taken 20 wickets in 11 from 12 and in the one they didn't, the batsmen screwed up.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Talk of shortening the boundaries is all fluff and nonsense but if its winding Michael Clarke up then I'm all for it. ?

Of course the boundaries should be left as normal but whatever happens with them won't impact the outcome of the series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Talk of shortening the boundaries is all fluff and nonsense but if its winding Michael Clarke up then I'm all for it. ?

Of course the boundaries should be left as normal but whatever happens with them won't impact the outcome of the series.
I've got no idea if Stokes is on a wind up or not with some of the stuff he's been saying.......I hope so though. Bringing in the boundaries is just ridiculous and flat fast wickets a big mistake imo.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flat fast wickets is literally what Australian cricket is lol

It would be like making all your home wickets slow, low dustbowls when India tour

Molehill

International Captain
Isn't that what adders was saying?
Yep, the Aussies seem to be obsessed by what the batsmen do in Bazball without noticing what's really happening.

I've got no idea if Stokes is on a wind up or not with some of the stuff he's been saying.......I hope so though. Bringing in the boundaries is just ridiculous and flat fast wickets a big mistake imo.
It kind of makes sense though. England will just try and hit 6's all day and more often than not succeed. If each team bats for 100 overs, England will probably have 200 more runs.

TheJediBrah

If each team bats for 100 overs, England will probably have 200 more runs.
They would have to be a far superior cricket team to bat for the same amount of overs, while also playing significantly more aggressively. In which case they should win regardless

Molehill

International Captain
They would have to be a far superior cricket team to bat for the same amount of overs, while also playing significantly more aggressively. In which case they should win regardless
I would obviously predict the less aggressive team to bat for longer. But the series in Pakistan showed how England could win matches on flat surfaces by simply not batting as long as their opposition.

FWIW, I think this is all just smoke and mirrors from Stokes (and especially Broad). I expect we'll see fairly standard pitches that will help the likes of Anderson and Robinson in particular.

Molehill

International Captain
I think this is right tbh
I'm struggling to imagine the monumental celebrations that will occur, probably off the scale partying, fireworks never previously seen, levels of alcohol consumption that would endanger a nation's liver........ if Boland actually takes an overseas wicket!!

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The pitches will be the same as they've been for the last few years, we're not going to change them significantly for this or any series.

Obviously the weather will play its part but the drainage at our grounds is outstanding, so pitches tend not to hold much moisture and pitches don't on the whole deteriorate much during the game.

There's usually a bit in it on the 1st morning as there should be in a test. If overhead conditions allow, then there will be movement throughout the match.

If its blue skies for 5 days, then even with the Dukes ball, the bat will dominate.

There's far too much made about pitches in England, the days of green seamers, apart from the odd occasion, are long gone.

Burgey

I'm struggling to imagine the monumental celebrations that will occur, probably off the scale partying, fireworks never previously seen, levels of alcohol consumption that would endanger a nation's liver........ if Boland actually takes an overseas wicket!!
Pretty muted tbh. He’ll probably just be mopping up the tail when he comes on to bowl in the 16th over.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
You’ll be able to send a message about it on your iPhone4, which coincidentally was the latest iteration when England last won an away Ashes test.
As I'm sure you're aware mate:
This series isn't being played in Australia so our performances Down Under aren't relevant.

Secondly, it's 22 years and counting since you won an Ashes series in England. Our last series victory in Australia was of course when we hammered you in 2010/11.

So in short, I wouldn't be bringing up away form in Ashes series, if I were you.

In fact, the last time you beat us in England, the 1st iPhone was still 6 years away from being released ?