• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

slippy888

International Captain
okay then jaiswal

our issues in odis are many

we do not have any top order or middle order batsman who can bowl a few overs. even if they could we do not have a captain who would use them. rohit is tactically average to put it mildly and so is the coaching team. what we need is to rohit to do what is best for the team and move to middle order so that we have a number 4 who can handle spin in an asian world cup year. he will retire soon anyway in a year maximum so his position does not matter anymore. it will quickly fix lots of issues in the side. we know what this means. its time. for my daily xi.

world cup xi should be something like

jaiswal 7
gill
kohli
rohit
rahul +
hardik 3
jaddu 5
sundar 6
kuldeep 4
shami 2
siraj/bumrah 1

Why would Rohit drop down the order

Niall

International Coach
No one really believes this. Pant is a far bigger loss to our test team than the odi team. He's shown some improvement in the shorter fornats but isn't all the way there yet.

He has improved in the OD format and averaging 40 odd over last few years but oddly enough it only seems to be England he can score runs against! :p

Sadly it does seem best case scenario for him is the England test series in 2024.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Horrible loss for India

Australia was taking the piss with that lineup and still won easily in the end

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bilateral ODI series don’t mean that much imho. India have won their last 4 ODI + T20 series against England since 2018 .I doubt you can call us more successful than them in last 4 years in ODI or T20
Yeah these series are fun for us fans but in the overall scheme they’re tune ups for the WC and little else, especially at this stage of the cycle.

Not a scoreline I expected to wake up to. Overall a decent tour for Aus but a real missed opportunity in the test series.

Feels like neither side has particularly settled on its best ODI combo yet, just a few months out from the WC.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Horrible loss for India

Australia was taking the piss with that lineup and still won easily in the end
Piss with the line up ?
Except Cummins for Abbot , I don’t see even one change in their line up for WC.
In batting they might drop Labu for Maxwell . That is it. Smith isn’t getting dropped and neither is Warner .

Agar is playing in the WC as 2nd spinner . Aus aren’t playing all 3 of Starc + Cummins + Hazlewood in IND . Stoinis bowling would be more useful than Green in these conditions.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Good series win for the Aussies and a nice confidence boost ahead of the WC where they should be right in the mix.

I think most sides are still fine tuning their teams ahead of the WC but India look in need of more than fine tuning - the batting line up just hasn't fired at all.

The pressure will be on them in the WC to perform but they're going to need to be in much better shape than they are now.

Burgey

Piss with the line up ?
Except Cummins for Abbot , I don’t see even one change in their line up for WC.
In batting they might drop Labu for Maxwell . That is it. Smith isn’t getting dropped and neither is Warner .

Agar is playing in the WC as 2nd spinner . Aus aren’t playing all 3 of Starc + Cummins + Hazlewood in IND . Stoinis bowling would be more useful than Green in these conditions.
Maxwell, Green and Cummins will probably all play in the line up at the WC. Tbh someone like Matt Short would be worth a shout in the squad too.

Everyone saying Cummins is not that great an ODI bowler is right of course, but he’s the captain so he’s going to be playing and has to be factored in.

Warner in the middle order might just work for the WC, and I do like front loading the batting with Marsh and Head up front.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Maxwell, Green and Cummins will probably all play in the line up at the WC.

Everyone saying Cummins is not that great an ODI bowler is right of course, but he’s the captain so he’s going to be playing and has to be factored in.

Warner in the middle order might just work for the WC, and I do like front loading the batting with Marsh and Head up front.
Who would you bring Green for ? Stoinis?
But I feel Stoinis bowling is more effective on these pitches than Green

trundler

Agar isn't better than Haze

Pick your best bowlers regardless of the pitch. Neser should play ahead of Abbott

A grade side would beat this Indian team

Once Cummins comes back it's not even a contest

TheJediBrah

Who would you bring Green for ? Stoinis?
But I feel Stoinis bowling is more effective on these pitches than Green
Nah ridiculous. Green is so much better than Stoinis in every facet of cricket.

Surely there's no way Stoinis would come close to a full strength team

Head
Marsh
Smith
Warner
Carey
Green
Maxwell
Agar
Starc
Cummins
Zampa

This would probably be it, crazy that one of the best few bowlers in the world (Haze) potentially doesn't play though. A lot would depend on pitch conditions in that regard.

trundler

Hazelwood and Cummins are pretty overrated in ODIs. Neither is really among the best few ODI bowlers in the world. Stoinis may be the pits but Green is still far from an established LO cricketer and it remains to be seen how he'll go. I'm not convinced the current version of Maxwell would've done any better than Stoinis.

The best few ODI bowlers in the world would be Starc, Bumrah, Boult, Nortje, Afridi, Rabada, and probably some spinners.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That was a bad loss. Chasing is tough in Chennai but our bowling was pretty pathetic letting Aussies get to 270 from 200/7 or whatever that was. To me, the issue in ODIs for us is that we tend to play 3 #11s and its always jarring when you move from a proper #8 bat to a #11 when a wicket falls. Assuming Bumrah, Pant and Shreyas are out for the year, personally, I will never wanna play all of Siraj, Shami and Kuldeep in the same 11. Ideally, Deepak Chahar can prove his fitness through the IPL and get into the WC side.

Rohit (c)
Gill
Virat
Axar (why not)
Rahul (wk)
Hardik (vc)
Washy
Shadul
Deepak
Kuldeep
Shami/Siraj

This side would give us 7 bowling options, with 6 of them able to bowl in the PP.