• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have loved to see Abbas from wellington get a go but the squad looks great outside of that and Scotty K (maybe Dougie could be with the LOI squad given the lack of available players atm)?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Our selectors are just dumb. That 'A' team is too old across the board.

If you have so many 30 year old fillers in your A Team, the one consolation of that make-up is it gives you the 'solidity' to be able to also insert a 'too green' gamble or two, with the experience around them - so it's not a 'team of kids' who crumble.

1679351703341.png

With that sort of age, and therefore assumed solidity in the middle order .... you can insert Abbas at 6 instead of Solia.

With that much age, you can say sorry to Cam Fletcher, still in our plans as next cab-off-the-rank, but age structure of this particular squad means we want to give the 6 year younger Max Chu a taste of some tougher cricket.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb,

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

If you have so many 30 year old fillers in your A Team, the one consolation of that make-up is it gives you the 'solidity' to be able to also insert a 'too green' gamble or two, with the experience around them - so it's not a 'team of kids' who crumble.

View attachment 35179

With that sort of age, and therefore assumed solidity in the middle order .... you can insert Abbas at 6 instead of Solia.

With that much age, you can say sorry to Cam Fletcher, still in our plans as next cab-off-the-rank, but age structure of this particular squad means we want to give the 6 year younger Max Chu a taste of some tougher cricket.

I think they see 29 11/12 as a youngster.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't hate that they've picked lots of experienced players but it did absolutely mean that they could've included Abbas to accelerate his development - like they did with Rachin. Players like Bruce, Cooper and McConchie might be in line for immediate call-ups if there are injuries so that's fair enough, but Solia is so meh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I don't hate that they've picked lots of experienced players but it did absolutely mean that they could've included Abbas to accelerate his development - like they did with Rachin. Players like Bruce, Cooper and McConchie might be in line for immediate call-ups if there are injuries so that's fair enough, but Solia is so meh.
Also Ajaz is obviously still in contention for the Bangladesh tour, but I would've preferred Pringle. He played in the World T20 and didn't look fazed at all.

Immenso

I count 6 of that squad as having a fixture clash - for re-scheduled CD v Auckland PS match.

No mention of that in the release, so assume the shield match is second fiddle. Fair enough, that is normal.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

View attachment 35179

Abbas has played 3 domestic games. I'm fine with waiting a little longer to see if he's the real deal or whether he's just enjoying a great start that will revert to a lower mean. I do agree that Max Chu can feel a bit grumpy though, he's been the form keeper bat this season. Having said that, Fletcher has a longer track record of success, and it's hard to keep a player as "next cab-off-the-rank" if you're not going to trial them against a serious A opponent. A games aren't purely about development, they're also about testing your current assumptions about squad depth.

Overall I think the A side has a decent mix of youth and experience, the only reason Rachin isn't playing is because he's got a call-up to the ODI side, and it's hard to say that guys like McConchie and Bruce have a lot of youthful competition. The youth bowling stocks are also looking seriously depleted this season with Sears, Fisher and Smith all injured, giving Ashok and O'Rourke a run is a positive forward step.

Mike5181

International Captain
Why are we playing Ravindra in ODIs when the dude averages 31 with the bat and 60 with the ball in List A. Maybe he performs initially, maybe he doesn't. But ffs pick him in his best format or not at all.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Why was Ravindra not picked to play the second one of these, starting on the 8th. Was he a county signing?

Immenso

Abbas has played 3 domestic games. I'm fine with waiting a little longer to see if he's the real deal or whether he's just enjoying a great start that will revert to a lower mean. I do agree that Max Chu can feel a bit grumpy though, he's been the form keeper bat this season. Having said that, Fletcher has a longer track record of success, and it's hard to keep a player as "next cab-off-the-rank" if you're not going to trial them against a serious A opponent. A games aren't purely about development, they're also about testing your current assumptions about squad depth.

Overall I think the A side has a decent mix of youth and experience, the only reason Rachin isn't playing is because he's got a call-up to the ODI side, and it's hard to say that guys like McConchie and Bruce have a lot of youthful competition. The youth bowling stocks are also looking seriously depleted this season with Sears, Fisher and Smith all injured, giving Ashok and O'Rourke a run is a positive forward step.
Nah, it's not just about age.

There's not enough sure(ish) future bets in that team regardless of age.

I'd say there's only 2 and a half sure(ish) things on that potential 11 (Foxcroft and Ashok, plus O'Rourke as the half).

And to make it worse, I reckon Ashok and O'Rourke will possibly only play 1 game each, based on the intra-squad competition from old guys for their respective playing roles.

In a normal or perfect world I'd wait for the 2 seasons rule, so Abbas wouldn't feature as a contender until end of next season. But 1) Abbas is clearly the real deal on talent and technique. 2) the rest of the age structure merits raising someone too early.

It's not a televised full international. No one will care if someone like Abbas failed. The only people taking much notice would be him and his coach.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Why are we playing Ravindra in ODIs when the dude averages 31 with the bat and 60 with the ball in List A.
Forget averages - His List A batting s/r is 94 and bowling e/r is 5.1 (and he's bowled in 23 out of 26 matches so is hardly a part-timer). Apart from a slightly lower s/r his List A batting numbers are as good as Finn Allen's, plus Ravindra can give 5-10 decent overs per game.