• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Another 50 up for Abbas! Do we have U19 Internationals coming up? I saw a couple of tweets from the major associations mentioning some of their players have been invited to an U19 camp but can't find a full list of names anywhere

Flem274*

123/5
He's making a genuine run for the A team tbh. He wouldn't be the first Wellington batting allrounder NZC confiscated from a domestic side to make sure he didn't spend his early career in the Harry Boam #8 slot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
what was that sweep rachin lol bright and breezy 48 by the looks. come on man nicholls and macewell are right there ready for the taking.
It’s so frustrating. Rachin averaged 60 as a teenager in the before time. He hasn’t averaged 40 plus in a single season since. Just lots of pretty 30’s and 40’s, a few failures and a solitary hundred to round out each season. It’s not like he’s been terrible or anything but he’s just constantly producing a bit less than what he needs to to make his case.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Who was the last young batsmen to burst onto the first class scene like this? My recollection is Kane debuted at 17 and took a little while to adapt and started dominating the following season when he was 18. I guess John Aiken made a century on debut at 19. Ryder or Taylor maybe?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the last young batsmen to burst onto the first class scene like this? My recollection is Kane debuted at 17 and took a little while to adapt and started dominating the following season when he was 18. I guess John Aiken made a century on debut at 19. Ryder or Taylor maybe?
Kane only played 1 game in 07/08 if memory serves. Andre Adams gave him a bit of a lesson in the gap between age group and FC cricket.

Ryder definitely. Burst onto the scene as an 18 year old in 2002 and averaged 60 in his debut season. I remember being able to hear the steady drip drip of drool as Ron Snowden commentated on his batting for the first time. The guy should still be a thousand ahead of Kane in the all time NZ test runs charts. Taylor didn’t really set the world on fire with his FC batting stats until after making his ODI debut in his early 20’s.

In the bowling stakes, Matt Henry had a ridiculous first couple of seasons for Canterbury when he was still a teenager. Think he was averaging about 15 after his first 10 games.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kane only played 1 game in 07/08 if memory serves. Andre Adams gave him a bit of a lesson in the gap between age group and FC cricket.

Ryder definitely. Burst onto the scene as an 18 year old in 2002 and averaged 60 in his debut season. I remember being able to hear the steady drip drip of drool as Ron Snowden commentated on his batting for the first time. The guy should still be a thousand ahead of Kane in the all time NZ test runs charts. Taylor didn’t really set the world on fire with his FC batting stats until after making his ODI debut in his early 20’s.

In the bowling stakes, Matt Henry had a ridiculous first couple of seasons for Canterbury when he was still a teenager. Think he was averaging about 15 after his first 10 games.
Kane's debut was this game - https://archive.nzc.nz/Scorecards/125/125313.html

In that 2nd innings, in fading light, ND sent out Kane instead of the nightwatchman, who then got out, then James Marshall came in and copped one of the most fearful earfuls I have ever heard from Andre Adams.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
They won't pick this because they're timid and boring buuuut

Rachin
Cumming/Parkes?
Young
Nicholls/Chapman
Phillips
Abbas
Cleaver/Fletcher
Smith
Sodhi
Ferguson
Sears

Would be fun.
Phillips and Feguson will be at the IPL. Will it clash with the SL T20s which Sodhi will be in? Sears won't be fit and one of the keepers might be in the T20s vs SL. Would be nice if Ashtok and/or Pringle got picked.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ken Rutherford did with disastrous results for his career having to open as a 19 year-old in the Windies. At least for Abbas playing a couple of matches at 6 vs Oz A at Lincoln is much less daunting.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Both Crowe and Rutherford look to have a similar pattern to Kane.

E.g. by the time Crowe was the same age as when Abbas made his FC debut, he had already played about 12 FC games, over 2 seasons. For solid, rather than spectacular, results. But 'good enough' to get a test debut at 19. Only a single FC ton.

Same for Rutherford, debuting at 17, like Crowe. 2 solid seasons by time same age as Abbas now. But not spectacular. Also only a single FC ton being 'good enough ' to get a test debut.

Both of these guys dominated the domestic seasons from the year after their poor test debuts. So both at age 20. Crowe in 82/83 and Rutherford in 85/86.

Edit. Actually, I hadnt looked at Kanes record .... So both the 2 above would appear to have been about a 'year behind ' Kane, if not even 2, in terms of being dominant at domestic level.

Not taking into account better pitches, and higher domestic batting averages across the board, circa 2008ish compared to 1980s.

Kane a bit of a freak even compared to them, I reckon, and 2 years ahead of Abbas currently at same age.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Before Kane perhaps Craig McMillan? Checked stats, debut age 18, after 3 FC seasons 20 games 1435 runs at 47. IIRC he was also dominant at under-19 "test" level.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Amazing to think the career path John Aiken went down ?

26108780-8125283-image-a-16_1584526863601.jpg

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's making a genuine run for the A team tbh. He wouldn't be the first Wellington batting allrounder NZC confiscated from a domestic side to make sure he didn't spend his early career in the Harry Boam #8 slot.
I’d wait to see how he goes in the green inferno of October before giving him an NZA call up. He wouldn’t be the first player in recent seasons to get a late season call up, make a big splash and then come back down to earth with a thump when things are tilted back in the bowler’s favour. Obviously hope that doesn’t happen.

thierry henry

International Coach
Both Crowe and Rutherford look to have a similar pattern to Kane.

E.g. by the time Crowe was the same age as when Abbas made his FC debut, he had already played about 12 FC games, over 2 seasons. For solid, rather than spectacular, results. But 'good enough' to get a test debut at 19. Only a single FC ton.

Same for Rutherford, debuting at 17, like Crowe. 2 solid seasons by time same age as Abbas now. But not spectacular. Also only a single FC ton being 'good enough ' to get a test debut.

Both of these guys dominated the domestic seasons from the year after their poor test debuts. So both at age 20. Crowe in 82/83 and Rutherford in 85/86.

Edit. Actually, I hadnt looked at Kanes record .... So both the 2 above would appear to have been about a 'year behind ' Kane, if not even 2, in terms of being dominant at domestic level.

Not taking into account better pitches, and higher domestic batting averages across the board, circa 2008ish compared to 1980s.

Kane a bit of a freak even compared to them, I reckon, and 2 years ahead of Abbas currently at same age.
Yeah the drums were beating, with valid reason, for 19 year old Kane to make the test team in 2009/10. He was 2 years into his FC career and plenty felt he was not just talented enough but had done enough at domestic level to make the team. This was the same summer where he was less than a month too old to have been playing in the under-19 World Cup in NZ that year.

ataraxia

International Coach
I’d wait to see how he goes in the green inferno of October before giving him an NZA call up. He wouldn’t be the first player in recent seasons to get a late season call up, make a big splash and then come back down to earth with a thump when things are tilted back in the bowler’s favour. Obviously hope that doesn’t happen.
His bowling might go well though!