• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The worst pitch Ashwin and Jadeja bowled on was the game they lost tbf. It brought the Aus 2nd and 3rd spinners into it instead of the attack being a one man band in Lyon. The first two decks were fine really, I think India bowled very well first test and in the second they were good but not great second dig, but didn't really have to be. Last test was a pancake. the bowlers must have got exhausted just looking at it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still took 20 wickets to win though, and it wasn't like Axar wasn't aided by circumstances either as a competent batter vs tired bowlers with the old ball.
IMO, Axar was the MOS by so far that it’s almost laughable

Shame he didn’t win as it would be an interesting trivia question in the future

OverratedSanity

They bowled on seriously dodgy pitches

Axar rescued them with the bat every game
Ashwin was the best bowler by a long way on the flattest deck of the series tbf. Wouldn't have minded if they'd given it to axar though.

Will still say that even though he was **** with the ball, his job wasn't exactly made easier by Rohit using him in weird short spells.

Burgey

Ashwin was the best bowler by a long way on the flattest deck of the series tbf. Wouldn't have minded if they'd given it to axar though.

Will still say that even though he was **** with the ball, his job wasn't exactly made easier by Rohit using him in weird short spells.
Yeah he bowled a lot better today when he mixed up his pace a little bit too. He seemed to really just be bowling darts for the first three tests, like he was trying to just do a sort of ODI middle overs sort of holding role.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
63.6 West Indies salvage a draw here. Fletcher might as well say, "We flippin' murdered them.". A length ball, pushes his weight back and smashes this down to long-on. It's as if he has made his mind up there is no second available. Slow to start, slow to turn around. He goes for the second only when Aaron pushes him. Run out by a mile. Did Ashwin miss a trick in the final moment? This doesn't by any means take away credit from what all Ashwin did in the lead-up 242/9

when 2 was needed off last ball to win the test

made up for it 11 years later in a wc vs pak
I remember this was also the test when Tendulkar was approaching his 100th hundred. I tuned in to witness the occasion when he was on 94...

Last edited:

IcarianStyles

Cricket Spectator
And all done. Really enjoyed this series. WD India on the win, Aus did better than I thought they would pre-tour but weren't up to the big moments. Thought they handled all the back and forth in the squad really well.

After the first test I thought Lyon was pretty much close to shot but he bowled really well thereafter. Khawaja excellent, Marnus ok without kicking on. Wish we'd run with opening with Head from test one. He just ****s things up for fielding teams once he's in. Smith disappointing, thought he over thought things a bit with the bat. Green excellent with the bat for a first tour. Peter used his hands to bat instead of comb once or twice but needs to be a million miles away from the side in anything other than low bouncing, spin-friendly conditions. Carey kept brilliantly but his batting fell away badly. Murphy a good dayboo series, Kuhnemann meh, Starc underdone and ordinary this test, was ok last one. Cummins bowled one poor spell but otherwise ok if not great (understandably given things). Boland just the one game but let no one down, as you would expect.

India's tail was a huge difference in the first two tests. Axar batted brilliantly. Rohit chimed in with an important ton and very happy for Kohli to break his drought. Gill batted well this test too. Jadeja and Ashwin excellent as per.

Just a fun series all round.

Good vibes on the tour thread too, for the most part.
"Kuhnemann meh" That's unbelievably harsh on him. Last minute call-up to fly over to India in middle of the series and bowled well given the circumstance. His 5fer in 1st innings Indore was massive in setting up the test for us to win. One of our very few wins in India this century.

Burgey

"Kuhnemann meh" That's unbelievably harsh on him. Last minute call-up to fly over to India in middle of the series and bowled well given the circumstance. His 5fer in 1st innings Indore was massive in setting up the test for us to win. One of our very few wins in India this century.
Yeah that's a fair point. Thought he bowled pretty ragged barring that one spell though. Lacked the control of Lyon & Murphy, but yeah, deserves credit for that spell for sure.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That may be so, but I'm standing firm that those were some of the worst decks I've seen, certainly in my time.
If you can give some evidence of worse than that, I'm all ears.

This was pretty bad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Obviously he did well in Indore and it feels harsh to write him off but my overriding feeling is that he's still a fair distance from being Test quality on surfaces that don't have that amount of assistance. I wasn't impressed by him in this game, the drop off from Murphy and him was quite large and a big part of how India were able to overhaul the total.

morgieb

Series ratings:

Warner 1 - frankly his injury was a good thing, as he looked completely inept in the opportunities he got. Really, he should've retired after that MCG ton.
Khawaja 8 - started off slowly (though did get a brute first up), but in the other three Tests was probably the best bat on either side. The century at Ahmedabad was well deserved, and his contribution at Indore felt like a century. Even when getting out it was often to well timed shots. Somehow, he's become Australia's best subcontiential player, which says a lot given that he got left out for horses for courses reasons the last time Australia toured here.
Labuschagne 6 - weird series. Made a few decent starts but the only time he kicked on was when the game was completely dead. Still, he at least made important contributions from test to test.
Smith 4 - I guess you could say that he did cop a fair number of peaches when he might have made an influence (think the Indore Test), but for the most part he plain didn't look right. In general felt unassertive and seemed to forget what made his batting so great back in 2017. Clearly his worst series in a decade. Hopefully he doesn't bat like this in the Ashes.
Handscomb 5 - good knock at Delhi, and generally looked OK otherwise. Still remain to be convinced about his back-foot technique off slow turning tracks though.
Renshaw 1 - maybe he would've done better opening, but looked all at sea in the opportunities he got. It'll be a long time before we see him again, I think.
Carey 4 - he did at least keep pretty damn well, and made a decent start at Nagpur before perishing in unlucky fashion. But other than the first Test he was basically a #11 batting #7. Looked lost of knowing how to score against spin and the shot he played at Ahmedabad says it all.
Cummins 4 - it's tough to give him a score because there's plenty of reasons to think that cricket wasn't the top of his priorities even before returning home. But really, he didn't really look right. Bowled a couple of awful spells and in general just didn't feel all that much of a threat otherwise.
Lyon 8 - struggled in the first Test (though was a bit unlucky), but otherwise was really good, probably as well as I've seen him bowl in a long time. Yes the conditions helped but you still need to utilise them effectively, and in the fourth Test at least did a very good job of keeping things tight on an extremely flat wicket.
Murphy 8 - made a huge statement with a fantastic spell on debut as the rest of Australia's bowling proved ineffective. Thereafter the dominance of Lyon saw him take more of a backseat role, but still bowled well and took important wickets. For a player on his first Test tour and with not that much FC experience he showed maturity far beyond his years. When Lyon does go, Australia's spin bowling stocks is in safe hands.
Boland 4 - did bowl a very good spell of nagging bowling to enable Murphy to run through the Indian middle order, but didn't prove much of a threat himself. It might've been interesting to see how he would've done at Ahmedabad given some of the Aussie bowlers couldn't contain very well, but it does seem like he's just not that much of a wicket-taking threat on slow wickets.
Head 7 - well he's ensured that he'll never get dropped again, we can say that much. I would've liked him to score more runs in the first innings, but all of his second innings knocks proved at least somewhat important (or at least should've been) when opening. I still don't think he should be opening long-term because he's such a good 5, but he's shown he's perhaps the most improved batsman worldwide over the last 18 months.
Kuhnemann 6 - a very bold call to pick him, but showed that it was generally a solid move. His first innings spell at Indore went a long way towards Australia winning the Test. Still needs to improve his stamina and control when the ball isn't turning, but will prove an effective second spinner for years to come with more experience.
Green 8 - man could Australia have done with him in the first two Tests. His batting in particular was really, really good - his innings here was fantastic given Australia were in a fair bit of trouble when he came in, and in general seemed a lot more multi-dimensional than some of the Aussie bats. Bowling still needs work but wasn't the only bowler to struggle at Ahmedabad.
Starc 4 - would have been interesting to see him in the first two Tests, as in theory that's where he could have had the most impact and maybe could've snuffed out one of the lower order partnerships better than the bowlers picked did. Looked decent at Indore but at Ahmedabad largely struggled for rhythm, though that could apply to any of the quicks bowling there.

Sharma 7 - one great innings at Nagpur to set up a Test win, but otherwise looked a bit too impatient and seemed to fall to dodgy shots far more than he should've. Not really convinced on his captaincy, though I guess you can't take away a Test series win too much from him.
Rahul 2 - his failures at Test level continued. I don't think he's gonna get back in the team.
Pujara 5 - the 50 at Indore was a great innings that might've been a genuinely magical one but for freak fielding, but other than that innings largely struggled to make much of an impact. At what point does the occasional great knock not be worth it?
Kohli 6 - great innings at Ahmedabad to break his 3 year long century drought, but he also came in with India in a good position on a road. In fairness, in the first three Tests I think he looked decent and copped a bit of a rough run with umpiring decisions, but equally none of his starts in those Tests proved substantial.
SKY 1 - didn't really look up to it. I don't think he would've scored many runs had he played the whole series.
Jadeja 8 - did fall away a bit as the series went on but in the first two Test, was all over Australia. Won the second Test with a great bit of bowling and his all-round contributions in the first Test also proved crucial.
Bharat 3 - wasn't very impressive. Apart from a couple of slogs didn't offer much with the bat and his keeping I don't think was anything special either, and in the fourth Test was exposed signficantly in that regard. Again, I don't think he's up to it.
Ashwin 9 - the most consistent bowler on display. Never looked far away from bulk wickets and his spell in the first innings at Ahmedabad was amazing given how flat the deck was. His partnership with Patel at Delhi also helped bail India out of a nasty situation. Deserved MOTS.
Patel - I'm honestly not sure what to give him. With the bat he was frankly amazing; 3 50's and at least two of them came when India really needed it. There's a decent chance that if he didn't play in the second Test it might not have mattered that Australia's batting imploded on Day 3. But he was primarily picked as a bowler, and there he was extremely disappointing. It seemed like he just bowled accurate darts in the hope the pitch would do the work, but even at Indore that didn't really work. Let's say a 9 for the batting and 3 for the bowling.
Shami 7 - the pick of the seamers on display. Didn't get the chance to do that much but bowled some great deliveries and also played a pretty important role in knocking off the tail cheaply. Would want to forget his opening spell at Ahmedabad quickly though.
Siraj 4 - tough to say. Wasn't terrible, I guess? But for the most part, was a bit of a passenger. And even though he's not in the side to bat, the less said about his shot at Indore the better.
Iyer 2 - I wonder how he would've done if he was fit to bat at Ahmedabad, but for the two Tests he did fully play he looked distinctly unimpressive. Even the one time he threatened to take the game away from Australia he got out quickly. For someone who had generally been a rock in a misfiring middle order at home, this frankly wasn't good enough.
Gill 8 - failure at Indore, dominated at Ahmedabad. Which I guess is what you expect given the nature of the two wickets, so it's a bit of a shame in that regard that he didn't play in the first two Tests. Still though his innings at Ahmedabad was really impressive, especially as if he failed it could've opened up the game significantly.
Umesh 5 - one great spell of reverse swing to cause a collapse at Indore, but at Ahmedabad felt like free runs at times and really wasn't bowling well.