• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And all done. Really enjoyed this series. WD India on the win, Aus did better than I thought they would pre-tour but weren't up to the big moments. Thought they handled all the back and forth in the squad really well.

After the first test I thought Lyon was pretty much close to shot but he bowled really well thereafter. Khawaja excellent, Marnus ok without kicking on. Wish we'd run with opening with Head from test one. He just ****s things up for fielding teams once he's in. Smith disappointing, thought he over thought things a bit with the bat. Green excellent with the bat for a first tour. Peter used his hands to bat instead of comb once or twice but needs to be a million miles away from the side in anything other than low bouncing, spin-friendly conditions. Carey kept brilliantly but his batting fell away badly. Murphy a good dayboo series, Kuhnemann meh, Starc underdone and ordinary this test, was ok last one. Cummins bowled one poor spell but otherwise ok if not great (understandably given things). Boland just the one game but let no one down, as you would expect.

India's tail was a huge difference in the first two tests. Axar batted brilliantly. Rohit chimed in with an important ton and very happy for Kohli to break his drought. Gill batted well this test too. Jadeja and Ashwin excellent as per.

Just a fun series all round.

Good vibes on the tour thread too, for the most part.

Last edited:

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Agree totally with that.

As so often nowadays, the touring team were under prepared for the series and by the time they found their feet, the series was done.

The Indians have been very canny with the pitches they've prepared. The first 2 tests, with the Aussies under prepared, did enough to exploit that. This pitch is so flat you could play for another 5 days and it would still be a draw.

I think a better prepared Aussie team, would have at least drawn this series and could have won it.
The main quarrel they had was the last time they toured India the tour match was a Green seamer that resembled nothing to the pitches they would face during the Test matches.

That's why they opted out of having a tour match.

Just ridiculous to not allow touring teams the opportunity to adjust to pitch conditions that they'll face in the Test matches.

Spark

Global Moderator
All about selections

Everyone in world cricket knows that Warner is done and they picked him anyway

They took many players who were never going to be fit for meaningful games

Agar & Morris were completely pointless selections

India is way too good without handicapping ourselves
That Boxing Day Test in hindsight turned out to be hugely destructive. Firstly by convincing them to take Warner and the injuries to Green and Starc

Sunil1z

International Regular
16 consecutive Test series wins at home.
Next best Aus = 10 twice (95 to 99, 04-08)

In the words of Tom Cruise from Top Gun : I know the streak would get broken some day, but today is not that day .

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Think we could have won this series or at least made the second test alot closer if Green was fit for it, but 2-1 is still a great result. Just leaves a bitter taste knowing that if we played a bit better in that second test we could have won.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Boxing Day Test in hindsight turned out to be hugely destructive. Firstly by convincing them to take Warner and the injuries to Green and Starc
Yeah, even without the injuries, the Warner reprieve was bad for the team medium-term. I hope they have a word to him and he can retire pre-Ashes. He just hasn't got anything left really. Ideally Whiteman would get a run for the Ashes, tough ask first up though it would be.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yeah Series is 50-50 in absence of Pant . Earlier I had India at 55-45 . Now it is evenly matched.
Another worrying thing for India is form of Jadeja. He was the best spinner last time in 17 and won MoS iirc.
It is all down to Axar and Ashwin me thinks.
Good call from this fella . Without Jadeja we might have lost 2-1

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah I was expecting it to behave much more like this https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...vs-west-indies-3rd-test-535999/full-scorecard than what it's been.
63.6 West Indies salvage a draw here. Fletcher might as well say, "We flippin' murdered them.". A length ball, pushes his weight back and smashes this down to long-on. It's as if he has made his mind up there is no second available. Slow to start, slow to turn around. He goes for the second only when Aaron pushes him. Run out by a mile. Did Ashwin miss a trick in the final moment? This doesn't by any means take away credit from what all Ashwin did in the lead-up 242/9

when 2 was needed off last ball to win the test

made up for it 11 years later in a wc vs pak

Spark

Global Moderator
63.6 West Indies salvage a draw here. Fletcher might as well say, "We flippin' murdered them.". A length ball, pushes his weight back and smashes this down to long-on. It's as if he has made his mind up there is no second available. Slow to start, slow to turn around. He goes for the second only when Aaron pushes him. Run out by a mile. Did Ashwin miss a trick in the final moment? This doesn't by any means take away credit from what all Ashwin did in the lead-up 242/9

when 2 was needed off last ball to win the test

made up for it 11 years later in a wc vs pak
I remember watching that live. One of my very favourite comedy run outs, the bloke seemed completely unaware that they needed two.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
2023 Border-Gavaskar Series Stats

Most Runs - Top 5
Usman Khawaja: 333 @ 47.57
Virat Kohli: 297 @ 49.50
Axar Patel: 264 @ 88.00
Marnus Labuschagne: 244 @ 40.66
Rohit Sharma: 242 runs @ 40.33

Most Wickets - Top 5
Ravi Ashwin: 25 @ 17.28
Ravi Jadeja: 22 @ 18.86
Nathan Lyon: 22 @ 22.36
Todd Murphy: 14 @ 25.21
Mohammd Shami: 9 @ 28.22

Shri

Mr. Glass
I remember watching that live. One of my very favourite comedy run outs, the bloke seemed completely unaware that they needed two.
was probably thinking about his next test 5 for. or the post match press conference

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In retrospect though, if Starc isn't injured we probably go in with only two spinners through the series, which means we might well have done worse on the bowling front than we did. Kuhnemann's relative lack of control certainly hurt our chance here but we don't win at Indore without him.