• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
Mohali 2010

Australia first innings 428 off 151.4 overs

Yep. That Indian batting lineup much more practiced in grinding out 400+ than this one though

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Khawaja has played one of the best innings by an Australian for a while. I get that there wasn't much in the pitch but to come here and not be cowed by his huge responsibility with the series being on the line, a well as the external factors, is a legendary effort.

Spark

Global Moderator

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I think there is still a bit of a question mark about how Kuhnemann and Murphy go without the degree of assistance they got in the first three tests though, and whether they will be able to bowl tight lines for long periods without reward and not try to produce wicket taking deliveries that just aren't there. Judging by the temperament shown so far, and the instruction they are bound to receive, I reckon they will be fine.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think there is still a bit of a question mark about how Kuhnemann and Murphy go without the degree of assistance they got in the first three tests though, and whether they will be able to bowl tight lines for long periods without reward and not try to produce wicket taking deliveries that just aren't there. Judging by the temperament shown so far, and the instruction they are bound to receive, I reckon they will be fine.
I'm worried about Kuhnemann in that regard but I think Murphy will be fine; he's shown in the last two games that he's comfortable bowling a tight, dry line. Kuhnemann though has looked prone to fatigue and it's not like the innings have been long ones before now

Molehill

International Captain
Right but in that case the problem is that the bowlers are poo, which is a problem independent of how many runs you get in the first innings or how long you bat
I'll be interesting to see if this pitch does break up (and if so, at what point), I'm not sure Lyon and Murphy will have ever looked so comfortable whilst batting.

I'm worried about Kuhnemann in that regard but I think Murphy will be fine; he's shown in the last two games that he's comfortable bowling a tight, dry line. Kuhnemann though has looked prone to fatigue and it's not like the innings have been long ones before now
I was also just pondering how those 2 would go on a pitch that probably won't help them for a day at least.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'll be interesting to see if this pitch does break up (and if so, at what point), I'm not sure Lyon and Murphy will have ever looked so comfortable whilst batting.

I was also just pondering how those 2 would go on a pitch that probably won't help them for a day at least.
To be honest I think you have to be a little careful judging a pitch in match situations like these. The Indian bowlers look exhausted; just look at Ashwin's effort in the field in the last over. Clearly good for batting but premature to call it a 500 par pitch in the second innings.

The more interesting question is whether India can score quicker or whether the slowness of the pitch just makes it a struggle to go at 3rpo for both sides

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Reckon we’ll roll India for about 250-275

they’re cooked
I think that's quite possible - the pitch is obviously a good one but scoreboard pressure and more importantly in this game, the pressure of the series situation, can make any batting side struggle.

And we've seen this series this is a poor Indian batting line up

Spark

Global Moderator
I think that's quite possible - the pitch is obviously a good one but scoreboard pressure and more importantly in this game, the pressure of the series situation, can make any batting side struggle.

And we've seen this series this is a poor Indian batting line up
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...s-new-zealand-1st-test-1183532/full-scorecard This game comes to mind - that pitch was an absolute road, and Australia had made what most people considered a good but not great score. But those two days in Perth were scorching hot and by the time NZ came in to bat, they were completely fried mentally, physically exhausted, and promptly folded.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No exaggeration

Axar is no better than a few grade spinners that I played against

He’s more accurate but that’s pretty much it

This is why Murphy suddenly looks comfortable

Take pitch variations out of the equation and there’s nothing to be worried about