• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Mark Waugh is on the money. I think the Ashes this year will be the last of Steve Smith in Test cricket. Especially if Australia win.
Why lol. He was averaging 70 odd across 10-15 tests before this series playing in asia and against good attacks at home and he clearly still has the hunger for runs. He's also at the age where most batsmen traditionally hit there peaks, no?

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Why lol. He was averaging 70 odd across 10-15 tests before this series playing in asia and against good attacks at home and he clearly still has the hunger for runs. He's also at the age where most batsmen traditionally hit there peaks, no?
There is no real reason for Smith to keep playing Test cricket. He has already achieved all you can as a batsman. He'll play his hundredth Test in the Ashes. That's the last real milestone for him to tick off.

The money is in Twenty20 cricket. Why play a longer, harder form of the game when you could get paid just as much (or even more) to play a shorter form of the game?

Spark

Global Moderator
There is no real reason for Smith to keep playing Test cricket. He has already achieved all you can as a batsman. He'll play his hundredth Test in the Ashes. That's the last real milestone for him to tick off.

The money is in Twenty20 cricket. Why play a longer, harder form of the game when you could get paid just as much (or even more) to play a shorter form of the game?
What if he just really, really enjoys playing Tests for his country?

slippy888

International Captain
Steve Smith will be broke if he plays test cricket for another 4 years by the time he 50 the retirement years the best years of life.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Eh, he's nothing special as a T20 player. Should give that up and focus on playing Tests as long as he can

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
What if he just really, really enjoys playing Tests for his country?
I'm going off what he said after the SCG Test where he said he doesn't know if he'll be back next Australian summer and that he plans on playing the twilight of his career in the BBL.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm going off what he said after the SCG Test where he said he doesn't know if he'll be back next Australian summer and that he plans on playing the twilight of his career in the BBL.
Yeah but then just yesterday he said that he hasn't yet decided if he wants to keep going until the next tour of India which is in four years. If he was planning to retire, you'd think that'd be an easy question to shut down. I think he genuinely doesn't know either way, he certainly hasn't decided to wrap up his career yet.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Can you link that? Don't remember him saying anything like that, but may have just missed it.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but then just yesterday he said that he hasn't yet decided if he wants to keep going until the next tour of India which is in four years. If he was planning to retire, you'd think that'd be an easy question to shut down. I think he genuinely doesn't know either way, he certainly hasn't decided to wrap up his career yet.
He’s not retiring from tests. It’s ridiculous

Spark

Global Moderator

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah he hasn't achieved everything! And this was a big year for him. If he continues in this vein he is definitely not top 5 all-time.

I actually believe that Smith will retire when his average goes below a certain point. Perhaps when it dips below 58. (He is acutely aware of his average). This could genuinely happen after the Ashes... but unlikely.

Regardless, I think he is in his final 1-2 years. He will try to finish with a high final average. So I see him retiring at age 35, not 38 or 39.

Next home Border Gavaskar series will be his last series imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah he hasn't achieved everything! And this was a big year for him. If he continues in this vein he is definitely not top 5 all-time.

I actually believe that Smith will retire when his average goes below a certain point. Perhaps when it dips below 58. (He is acutely aware of his average). This could genuinely happen after the Ashes...

Regardless, I think he is in his final 1-2 years. He will try to finish with a high final average. So I see him retiring at age 35, not 38 or 39.
This is complete nonsense