• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
For those people (and anyone else) that watch First-Class cricket/Domestic cricket in India....what's the go with Karun Nair?

He last played Test cricket for India in 2017 which was 6 years ago and he hasn't played a First-Class match since 2022 - retired?

Why wasn't this player given more of a go at Test level for India? Not good enough? Politics? Inconsistency? Or a combination of things?

His Test career reads:

Matches: 6
Innings: 7
Not Outs: 1
Runs: 374
Highest Score: 303 not out
Average: 62.33
50s: 0
100s: 1

His First-Class career (incl Test stats) reads:

Matches: 85
Innings: 136
Not Outs: 15
Runs: 5922
Highest Score: 328
Average: 48.94
50s: 27
100s: 15

If he played in Australia and had those numbers he would probably have played more Test cricket.

I did look up his innings-by-innings performances in Test cricket:

4, 13, 303*, 26, 0, 23, 5

A very short lived Test career highlighted by a triple hundred (good effort).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
For those people (and anyone else) that watch First-Class cricket/Domestic cricket in India....what's the go with Karun Nair?

He last played Test cricket for India in 2017 which was 6 years ago and he hasn't played a First-Class match since 2022 - retired?

Why wasn't this player given more of a go at Test level for India? Not good enough? Politics? Inconsistency? Or a combination of things?

His Test career reads:

Matches: 6
Innings: 7
Not Outs: 1
Runs: 374
Highest Score: 303 not out
Average: 62.33
50s: 0
100s: 1

His First-Class career (incl Test stats) reads:

Matches: 85
Innings: 136
Not Outs: 15
Runs: 5922
Highest Score: 328
Average: 48.94
50s: 27
100s: 15

If he played in Australia and had those numbers he would probably have played more Test cricket.

I did look up his innings-by-innings performances in Test cricket:

4, 13, 303*, 26, 0, 23, 5

A very short lived Test career highlighted by a triple hundred (good effort).
He got the Kambli treatment but a 300 did deserve more than 3 tests..

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
He got the Kambli treatment but a 300 did deserve more than 3 tests..
You mean consistently overlooked for Test matches by Indian selectors? I mean I've never heard of any other player scoring a triple hundred and then shun away for good. Just seems rather bizarre even though it was6 years ago now.

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC the consensus was that he deserved to get more goes but his FC stats were a product of some of the pitches going around at the time, and that his non-303* scores were more reflective of how he would actually do, and the 303* was on one of the flattest pitches imaginable against a totally ineffective attack. That was the series where England would repeatedly put up 400+ and then lose by an innings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
...no? Is that seriously standard practice?
Not the choice part, lol. But I think they generally keep 2 or 3 pitches ready for every game in case something happens right? At least 3 to 4 days out before the game, that used to be the case, no?

Shady Slim

International Coach
Believe me, I don't know a **** about captaincy & field placements etc.

I have just assumed he is better.
Had Aus won in India under Cummins, my assumptions would have been "Smith is a great batsman but a terrible captain"
nah smith's a dreadful captain. one of the best thing's smith's ball tampering ban meant was that he was stripped of the captaincy, because he just was not very good at it.

does fine when his bowlers are on top but never had a plan b. in fairness to him, a part of that may have been #boofball

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Interesting read about the lack of runs for Indian batters recently.
This has painfully obvious for a looong time but post it on here or Reddit and there are plenty who trot out the 'just bad form' or 'the pitches are crap' excuses.

These guys have forgotten the fundamentals required to bat in FC cricket and it's going to be difficult to turn around at Test level without Ranji runs or a few competitive Tour games. Unfortunately none of the guys in the Test team setup are interested in either.

Xix2565

International Regular
These guys have forgotten the fundamentals required to bat in FC cricket and it's going to be difficult to turn around at Test level without Ranji runs or a few competitive Tour games. Unfortunately none of the guys in the Test team setup are interested in either.
Where in FC cricket do you consistently have such difficult conditions to bat on? Did you not read anything beyond the headline?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Jarrod Kimber just released a video about India's top order batting home and away and there recently drop off in the past 3 years. Really interesting stuff.

Xix2565

International Regular
Jarrod Kimber just released a video about India's top order batting home and away and there recently drop off in the past 3 years. Really interesting stuff.
Basically the article I linked in video form, since it's actually his Substack. I should post that as well if people want videos: