• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Victor Ian

International Coach
If Australia level the series, India retain the trophy because they are the holders. That is so stupid. In a drawn series, the trophy should go to the away team. It is obviously harder to win away. That achievement deserves to be recognised. I've always said that, not just because Australia is getting robbed in this case.
No. Aus should be holding trophy now. Retaing it on a drawn series at home is India's prize for having beat Aus away

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If this series is drawn it's the most significant achievement by an Australian side in at least a decade IMO, never mind the trophy.
Yeah even with pant out on India's end this is a significant result given all the injuries/mid tour leaves we've had.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah even with pant out on India's end this is a significant result given all the injuries/mid tour leaves we've had.
The parallels with 2013 are actually really illustrative; disastrous first two Tests, India look all over Australia who don't look - at least to the casual observer - like they can cope with the conditions at all, media back home all over the team, apparent disorganisation and chaos, all sorts of questions and scrutiny aimed at the leadership, players being ruled out and thrown in seemingly at random. All that happened before and the predictable result in 2013 was that the bottom fell out.

Plus, teams so rarely come back in long series these days, usually once team gets on a roll they just steamroll the other side, especially at home. Usually teams that manage strong away results in these long, 4+ Test marquee series do so by starting out strong and holding off the home side as they inevitably grow in the contest. Not by coming back themselves. So if this lot manage to pull the series back to square it'll be a hell of an achievement, even with the caveat that it's also a hell of a missed opportunity

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It’ll be a massively missed opportunity if we draw it 2-2 but an amazing accomplishment when you consider the discussion on this forum before all these tours were announced to Pakistan Sri Lanka and India

Molehill

International Captain
Plus, teams so rarely come back in long series these days, usually once team gets on a roll they just steamroll the other side, especially at home. Usually teams that manage strong away results in these long, 4+ Test marquee series do so by starting out strong and holding off the home side as they inevitably grow in the contest. Not by coming back themselves. So if this lot manage to pull the series back to square it'll be a hell of an achievement, even with the caveat that it's also a hell of a missed opportunity
I guess one factor is that Touring teams often come in undercooked and take a little while to become accustomed to conditions. India's loss to England came after they dominated the First Test before Cook/KP got on top.

But for me, this just feels like India ****ed up with the pitch and handed over their advantage of having the better spinners on moderately challenging pitches. This was just a lottery and the Indian batting line up was found wanting.

Spark

Global Moderator
I guess one factor is that Touring teams often come in undercooked and take a little while to become accustomed to conditions. India's loss to England came after they dominated the First Test before Cook/KP got on top.

But for me, this just feels like India ****ed up with the pitch and handed over their advantage of having the better spinners on moderately challenging pitches. This was just a lottery and the Indian batting line up was found wanting.
Sure but India has ****ed around with the pitch a few times last year and it worked out fine for them. I don't think Indore was that much more difficult to bat on than the pink ball Ahmedabad Test for example - if anything that was even harder with the way it skidded on under lights.

Molehill

International Captain
Sure but India has ****ed around with the pitch a few times last year and it worked out fine for them. I don't think Indore was that much more difficult to bat on than the pink ball Ahmedabad Test for example - if anything that was even harder with the way it skidded on under lights.
But England for some daft reason selected Anderson, Broad and Archer for that game and then watched as Root took 5-8!! I think India also wanted more of that kind of pitch to negate Root who was in the form of his life and had already got a double in the First Test.

There was no real need to change the pitch in this series, what they had was working fine. I suspect the fact it wasn't meant to be hosting the Test at all may have been a factor in the preparation.

Spark

Global Moderator
But England for some daft reason selected Anderson, Broad and Archer for that game and then watched as Root took 5-8!! I think India also wanted more of that kind of pitch to negate Root who was in the form of his life and had already got a double in the First Test.
I mean yeah absolutely but that goes to my deeper point that just because India prepares an absurd pitch, you still have to plan and execute properly to win in India. Like I said immediately after the game, a lot of the talk around the pitch, while fair, risks ignoring just how well Australia had to play across the journey to win the game - and win comfortably, in the end.

There was no real need to change the pitch in this series, what they had was working fine. I suspect the fact it wasn't meant to be hosting the Test at all may have been a factor in the preparation.
I mean that's possible but from what I've heard, they had three pitches prepped and then India got the pick of which one they actually played on. So they weren't slaves of circumstance here.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean that's possible but from what I've heard, they had three pitches prepped and then India got the pick of which one they actually played on. So they weren't slaves of circumstance here.
The idea that 'there wasn't enough preparation time' for the Indore pitch is bull****. Club groundsman can produce far better wickets with a few afternoons' work in less than a week. You have to actively try to produce a turner like that.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
I mean yeah absolutely but that goes to my deeper point that just because India prepares an absurd pitch, you still have to plan and execute properly to win in India. Like I said immediately after the game, a lot of the talk around the pitch, while fair, risks ignoring just how well Australia had to play across the journey to win the game - and win comfortably, in the end.
And that's completely fair. It was a great performance in conditions that should still have totally favoured India. Really looking forward to the 4th Test.

It's interesting that both England and Australia arrived at the 4th Test 2-1 down, but there's no doubting that one team has significantly more hope of grabbing a draw than the other one did.

Gob

International Coach
If Australia level the series, India retain the trophy because they are the holders. That is so stupid. In a drawn series, the trophy should go to the away team. It is obviously harder to win away. That achievement deserves to be recognised. I've always said that, not just because Australia is getting robbed in this case.
If they level the series (they won't), BG trophy will be decided on the WTC final

Saket1209

State Vice-Captain
If the pitch isn't a rank turner ,I think India will make it 3-1. Rank turner neutralize spinner's ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think that happens in all grounds anyways?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha what's the source here?

Not doubting, just found it funny