• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Xix2565

International Regular
It's particularly necessary they probably have seen enough of Bharat. With a WTC final approaching it makes total sense to try out Kishan if he is upto it.
I remember him playing extremely well against Stuurman & Marco Jansen in the 4 day games in SA. Even outscored Sarfaraz there.
His glovework is what I guess is what they had to take a call on.
No it doesn't? They've barely seen enough of Bharat to even consider trying out Kishan, who's barely got a handful of A games compared to Bharat.
why are you dropping our top scorer for the series on a turner

also if it is a turner, we should go all in and play kuldeep and pick no pacers

Rohit, Gill, Pujara, Virat, Shreyas, Washy, Jaddu, Axar, Ashwin, Bharat, Kuldeep
Please give up on making XIs. No one needs to see this. :no:

subshakerz

International Coach
Boland will be unplayable in certain English conditions.

He’s the real danger man for England with a Dukes ball imo.
Yeah, for English conditions you have Cummins, Hazelwood, and Boland, plus Lyon with his experience. Yet some posters are saying England are firm favorites?

Kraken

State Captain
Yeah, for English conditions you have Cummins, Hazelwood, and Boland, plus Lyon with his experience. Yet some posters are saying England are firm favorites?
yeah that’s probably the attack - although Starc has been really good for over a year now. He’d probably play on more of a flat deck

Spark

Global Moderator
Starc has to play. He's been so good in the last 18 months, and yeah the fact that he can bat a little in principle helps too. Hazlewood's stock must have fallen off a cliff by now - bloke just can't get on the park

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I generally consider home sides favourites when there isn't an obvious chasm between them. The main difference is that England's batting is much more confident now and could do some serious damage even to a good attack (like they did to South Africa). There are still quality gaps though, like Crawley. Of course Root performing would massively advantage England.

In comparison I think Australia's batting is less certain. Smith seems unlikely to recapture his 2019 form. Marnus could go well but I find it very hard to predict what any of the others will do. They Khawaja and Head haven't done well in the past though Head is definitely a better player now. I hope they bight the bullet and leave Warner behind. If he plays it'll be like starting each innings one down.

subshakerz

International Coach
I generally consider home sides favourites when there isn't an obvious chasm between them. The main difference is that England's batting is much more confident now and could do some serious damage even to a good attack (like they did to South Africa). There are still quality gaps though, like Crawley. Of course Root performing would massively advantage England.

In comparison I think Australia's batting is less certain. Smith seems unlikely to recapture his 2019 form. Marnus could go well but I find it very hard to predict what any of the others will do. They Khawaja and Head haven't done well in the past though Head is definitely a better player now. I hope they bight the bullet and leave Warner behind. If he plays it'll be like starting each innings one down.
Nah. Khwaja, Head, Marnus and Smith are all in reasonably good form.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
On Captaincy debate : Smith vs Cummins

NATHON LYON
CaptainsSpanMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIBBMAvgEconSR5w10w
*MJ Clarke2011-201542811554.531348441427/15212/28634.113.1165.661
*PJ Cummins2021-20231525673.01421811606/1289/12130.182.6967.340
*TD Paine2018-202123441163.42263255986/4910/11833.212.7971.261
*SPD Smith2014-202337701656.231348291708/5013/15428.402.9158.462
*SR Watson2013-20131238.4416597/949/16518.334.2625.710

Based on above stats, one feels Smith is a better captain for spinners. His field placements, for Lyon, are better & innovative. He understands spin bowling much better. Being a spinner also helps.

Smith is not unusual in this case. Misbah was also a better captain for spinners. Abd-ul-Rehman, Ajmal, Zulfiqar Babar & Yasir Shah prospered under him. Uncle Nauman bowled better when Misbah was around (as a coach).