• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes you are right. He did well on Australia too because of this reason.
Yeah in fairness I don't think "oh hard hands, you'll never make it" is a good enough reason to write off such a talent. But it might take quite a lot of patience at home and maybe even carrying him a bit in the hope that he repays you in places like Australia and SA.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that was way off kilter wasn’t it? If anyone else is captain there they throw him the ball for at least an over or two to see if he could jag one or two.
Yep

Its tough to really know whether his poor captaincy decisions were down to him being distracted by home issues or his first actual tough assignment clouding his judgement.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep

Its tough to really know whether his poor captaincy decisions were down to him being distracted by home issues or his first actual tough assignment clouding his judgement.
Tbf a lot of people were already wanting to jump on his case after Rawalpindi, mostly people who hadn't watched the game ofc and didn't realise that it would've taken about twenty days to take as many wickets on that thing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cummins is a great cricketer and his performances here have been so out of the ordinary that I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt

Best if he stays with his family

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yeah that was way off kilter wasn’t it? If anyone else is captain there they throw him the ball for at least an over or two to see if he could jag one or two.
What's your view of Cummings as captain mate.

He seems a decent bloke off the pitch and after recent issue you've had with Smith and Paine, he's a safe pair of hands.

Tactically he seems OK but no more than that but Smith seems a more natural fit and from I saw of this test, captained the side really well.

But for sandpaper gate, would most Aussies prefer Smith over Cummings as captain?

Spark

Global Moderator
What's your view of Cummings as captain mate.

He seems a decent bloke off the pitch and after recent issue you've had with Smith and Paine, he's a safe pair of hands.

Tactically he seems OK but no more than that but Smith seems a more natural fit and from I saw of this test, captained the side really well.

But for sandpaper gate, would most Aussies prefer Smith over Cummings as captain?
I think most people here would generally prefer anyone but Smith, not because of the baggage but because he wasn't actually that good at the job and the mental load that it placed on him led to... well, what it led to. But he was excellent in this Test, certainly his best as captain IMO.

As for Cummins, fast bowling captains are a bad idea in general and as much as I've appreciated his off-field leadership, nothing I've seen since he got the job has convinced me otherwise. It's just really difficult to captain a cricket team in tough conditions from mid-on.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf a lot of people were already wanting to jump on his case after Rawalpindi, mostly people who hadn't watched the game ofc and didn't realise that it would've taken about twenty days to take as many wickets on that thing
I think you could criticise him not closing the Karachi match, but equally I think Babar and Rizwan (in particular) batted really well on it and the pitch was still quite flat.

slippy888

International Captain
Guys Shubman not played any cricket for like 3 weeks it tough to judge the guy on these 2 innings, we know if there was cricket available anywhere in India he would play.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith is a much better captain than Cummins imo. Paddy actually hasn't achieved anything of note to date.
He's also bungled a couple of tests including letting England get away with a draw in Sydney when he allowed his team to tuk tuk when they were in a
strong position and rain was forecast. Australia would be doing well to slip the reins back to Smith asap.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Smith is a much better captain than Cummins imo. Paddy actually hasn't achieved anything of note to date.
He's also bungled a couple of tests including letting England get away with a draw in Sydney when he allowed his team to tuk tuk when they were in a
strong position and rain was forecast. Australia would be doing well to slip the reins back to Smith asap.
You are right, I remember when Paine was captaining in the Ashes 2019,it was Smith who was setting up the fields.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won't be long before the Australian cricket team is back to being a national disgrace with Smith in charge.
So long as we’re winning disgraces it’s all fine

Reports Lyon is gonna do a “how to bowl in India on day 2” YouTube video.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate he bowled us to a series win in Pak and a draw in SL when we've historically been terrible in SL and we've dominated at home under him.