• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Are they even allowed to smoke ciggies these days? I'm sure Gayle filled up the locker room with exotic vapors but the rest of the circuit seems horribly square.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder, percentage-wise, how much all the modern professionalism adds compared to just shoving down beers and waking up semi hung over? 5% 10%? Even 5% would be a huge difference at the top level, but maybe it takes something away mentally in terms of making it perhaps harder to relax or having more stress these days which is hard to measure.
I think it adds enormously at the top level tbh, but that's not inconsistent with consciously avoided over-thinking the pitch. It's there, it is what it is and you have to play on it. So have a quick look at it then get on with ****. Seeing blokes bending over the deck and virtually examining it with a magnifying glass like some of the Australian players did before the first test is peak stupidity.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are they even allowed to smoke ciggies these days? I'm sure Gayle filled up the locker room with exotic vapors but the rest of the circuit seems horribly square.
Stadia in Australia are non smoking areas so Warnie and Dougie would have to duck off to Moore Park for a dart

Burgey

Dougie is basically the Keith Richards of cricket, though he's been off the darts for years now. Still has a drink but nothing like he used to. He's such a lovely fella. He comes down to Parra training every now and again, especially the pre-season and for the Green Shield to cast an eye over the younger players and offer a bit of advice. Then he sort of wanders away for a while and you wonder what's going on until you realize he's listening to the races on his phone.

He's so unpretentious though. He never struts around like he owns the joint despite the fact he was a great player and is a legend with it. I remember him standing behind the nets giving some advice to my young bloke and I was hoping like hell he ****ing listened. Kid had no idea who Doug was til I told him after the net session. He never plays on his status, he just talks with them in a really gentle, avuncular way. And he does it for all of them, not just the star players of the side. I think the best thing about guys like that is they don't over complicate it. By all reports Graeme Pollock is the same when he gives out advice.

social

Just had a chat to a friend of mine who coaches a current state player

Contract stipulates no alcohol, etc during a window around games e.g. some time prior until conclusion of game

Having a beer immediately after the game is allowed but frowned upon until completion of recovery session

Players are tested frequently including random testing to ensure adherence but you would have to assume that there’s some leeway as a glass of wine is hardly a hanging offence

Interestingly enough, these measures have as much to do with anti-corruption as fitness as CA wants to avoid a position where players are seen in a compromising position

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Usually the more they stay out of the spotlight post-retirement, the more standup they tend to be. Figures, you'd have to be some level of narcissistic prick to willingly have eyes on you in this day. (not sure how lowkey Walters is in Aus but I can't recollect ever hearing from him in international media all these years)

R!TTER

State Regular
Reds usually become softer and slower as the match goes. Black soil provided bounce but also prone to break up and vicious turn and bounce.

I think this one will be a pancake for two days followed by usual turn and soft bounce. I foresee big 100s for S and L
Indore has black soil, while you can also get red soil pitches (like from Maharashtra) it's not native to this region! That will also have an effect ultimately on how the pitch behaves.

social

Usually the more they stay out of the spotlight post-retirement, the more standup they tend to be. Figures, you'd have to be some level of narcissistic prick to willingly have eyes on you in this day. (not sure how lowkey Walters is in Aus but I can't recollect ever hearing from him in international media all these years)
He did some commentary for a while and still does public speaking

Also tours with Lennie Pascoe and Thommo around regional areas where they do speaking engagements and cricket coaching

As loved as Warne by people from his generation but very laid back and not a self promoter

Burgey

He's really low key. You only really hear about him from guys who played with or against him who have stories about him.