• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

thierry henry

International Coach
FWIW I think most NZers (particularly in the North Island) would have a hard time accepting that you can predict the weather in any useful way for cricket matches

Athlai

Not Terrible
Folks, strap in for zaremba being a sanctimonious ****, Chapter 42.

Went to sleep a little around 3.30am, having just heard the fall of Anderson's wicket.

I can't believe that I'm so accepting of a one run loss (the barest of margins!) in the deciding Test of a (mini) series. Maybe it's because I've weakened with age. But it's a result that I'm really not unhappy with at all. I'm excited and, dammit, proud that my team consistently play such scintillating un-English cricket and that they were a massive part of such an amazing game. It's also down in large part to the oppo being the Black Caps who somehow manage to combine being hard skilful bastards with not being ****s. Loved the match, loved the winter, can't wait for the summer.
This man is proud to say he loves Wagner ball.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Folks, strap in for zaremba being a sanctimonious ****, Chapter 42.

Went to sleep a little around 3.30am, having just heard the fall of Anderson's wicket.

I can't believe that I'm so accepting of a one run loss (the barest of margins!) in the deciding Test of a (mini) series. Maybe it's because I've weakened with age. But it's a result that I'm really not unhappy with at all. I'm excited and, dammit, proud that my team consistently play such scintillating un-English cricket and that they were a massive part of such an amazing game. It's also down in large part to the oppo being the Black Caps who somehow manage to combine being hard skilful bastards with not being ****s. Loved the match, loved the winter, can't wait for the summer.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly!!

Just to add though 2 test series can gagf........who the **** does not want to see a third test here? Everything that is good about cricket has been on display in this series, save for the ****wit boards that scheduled this as only 2 tests.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
As much as we talk up test cricket which is my favorite format it can't compete with the t20s and no one should even try to make it as such. Test cricket followers are niche and that'll stay that way. T20s fund test cricket in a way. This was one of the greatest ever test match no doubt but look at the other test matches we have played since last year. Draws vs Pakistan were not bad viewing, one game was quite close. We got smashed by South Africa at home, we smashed South Africa as well. Bangaldesh won quite comfortably and we smashed them as well. We had a thrilling draw against India and then got walloped in the next test.

Australia wiped the floor against all sides but for the recent tests vs India.

England beat us fairly hands down in England and did so to India as well...

One test match will not turn things around in my opinion, those that just keyed in for the last day or last moments of this test match will disappear as soon as the next series starts unless there is a change in brand of cricket we play. I can't think that's going to happen in the near future. You're not expecting Conway, Latham, Kane to go bazball like. Maybe the future players that are brought up on playing t20s may but that'll take time.

Maybe England, India and Australia can still continue to shore up good support for test cricket but don't think we can based on this one test match.

Flem274*

123/5
As much as we talk up test cricket which is my favorite format it can't compete with the t20s and no one should even try to make it as such. Test cricket followers are niche and that'll stay that way. T20s fund test cricket in a way. This was one of the greatest ever test match no doubt but look at the other test matches we have played since last year. Draws vs Pakistan were not bad viewing, one game was quite close. We got smashed by South Africa at home, we smashed South Africa as well. Bangaldesh won quite comfortably and we smashed them as well. We had a thrilling draw against India and then got walloped in the next test.

One test match will not turn things around in my opinion, those that just keyed in for the last day or last moments of this test match will disappear as soon as the next series starts unless there is a change in brand of cricket we play. I can't think that's going to happen in the near future. You're not expecting Conway, Latham, Kane to go bazball like. Maybe the future players that are brought up on playing t20s may but that'll take time.

Maybe England, India and Australia can still continue to shore up good support for test cricket but don't think we can based on this one test match.
nah sorry i disagree.

this is headlines in nz. t20 is not. i don't interact with kids but everyone sporty in my circle of 20-40 year olds puts t20 3rd. odis most popular, then tests.

never, ever let the CEO brigade tell you what we like. "wahhh we're so poor we can't afford test matches" *magically finds several million dollars to (rightly) double the womens pay and (stupidly) pay PCB extortion money*

Athlai

Not Terrible

In terms of "competing with t20s" is it that much to expect a 3 match Test series particularly for the well-attended spectacles that are Tests vs Eng/Ind/Aus? I don't think anyone but the most die hard fan on here would argue we should remove T20s from the schedule entirely, but a balance being struck where we play at least one or two 3 match series a year would be better.

I also think there is an argument that Test cricket may have increasing value as a longform premium viewing experience on streaming/paid TV services. We're entering a new stage of digesting media and Test matches and their respective audience might prove more lucrative than they have in the recent past.

The Hutt Rec

Look at the media reaction, nobody cares this much when we win a close ODI or T20. Add into that the first three days of the test were sold out, the fourth day looked packed too and I’m pretty sure it was close to capacity yesterday (even if they did throw the doors open).

Get it back on a platform where people can watch it and listen to it (happening next year with TVNZ and hopefully SENZ), show it the respect it deserves in 3 match series and first class preparation and development, and test cricket will thrive in this country.

Treat it like an unloved embarrassment and that’s what it will become.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of "competing with t20s" is it that much to expect a 3 match Test series particularly for the well-attended spectacles that are Tests vs Eng/Ind/Aus? I don't think anyone but the most die hard fan on here would argue we should remove T20s from the schedule entirely, but a balance being struck where we play at least one or two 3 match series a year would be better.

I also think there is an argument that Test cricket may have increasing value as a longform premium viewing experience on streaming/paid TV services. We're entering a new stage of digesting media and Test matches and their respective audience might prove more lucrative than they have in the recent past.
It’s so wrong that NZ don’t get proper series.

Two Tests? Wtf.

Flem274*

123/5
I think NZC greatly underestimates the average NZ sports fan tbh. Even among those moving away from the traditional "rugby and cricket" (and All Blacks games are always sell outs so there's no shortage of traditional fans) there's a sense that T20 is the entertainment format rather than a real sport. "Cricket is boring" types still don't actually like them either because they're still standing around a lot.

I know they're chasing the family night out and it works because T20 pulls in big money, but those people don't actually care. They're not there to support New Zealand fanatically, they're there to have a few drinks and cheer at sixes.

It isn't just shallow, it's a missed opportunity. The most introverted and Shortland Street obsessed middle aged woman will discover inner bloodlust at the All Blacks or even a Chappell-Hadlee ODI. The 7th T20 against a randomised team? Lol, no one ****ing cares.

If NZC wants to settle for playing WWE with a wooden stick then that's pretty sad. Everyone can see T20 is a less complex sport than other cricket formats or rivals for attention like other NZ sports, American sport, football and stuff like skateboarding.

Even against a less followed test side (no Barmy Army) like SL you watch, people will show up on the weekend at Hagley. T20 has its place as a fun night out but going all in on it is a trap imo but hey what would I know, I'm not a CEO I just talk to other sports fans.

nzfan

I get what you say, that is my opinion too but the economics just doesn't allow I think. Australia, India and England have good following of cricket in general. They will always play at least 3 test matches against each other. In my opinion there should be 3 test matches at least, that should be made mandatory but barring maybe 3 or 4 test playing nations the rest would struggle to compete which is a problem. Even Afghanistan can compete against major sides in t20s which is the selling point for that format although I loathe the amount of t20s played both at the international and franchise level.

You'd be surprised how many kids in NZ follow Big Bash, IPL etc...

I think England have struck a chord at the right time. I'd think if not for Baz and Stokes at the helm they would have followed test cricket still but not with the kind of fervor right now. The sell outs for both test matches should be attributed to England or their style of play I think.

I'd love to see sell outs against Sri Lanka and NZC stop complaining about making losses out of test matches. You know there was a reason they cut our PS to 8 matches. They don't see much future and as per the last NZC vision we were aiming to be anywhere within the top ICC 4 test rating. We were aiming to win trophies at ICC limited overs tourneys meanwhile.

thierry henry

International Coach
I wish the feud was still on, this whole ‘wow what a swell test I don’t care that we threw away the series’ from both the England players and fans is infuriating. It’s doubling down on the most stupid thing about BazBall (saying it’s all about playing for results and then not caring about…the result) and winning the bastards even more fans. Also I can’t even enjoy our win properly/find the energy to hate England properly, because I’m so annoyed by my own team and the thought that this will just delay the inevitable.

I’m seriously considering jinxing us relentlessly going forward because maybe trying to hope for the best will remind me how to experience happiness again.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I wish the feud was still on, this whole ‘wow what a swell test I don’t care that we threw away the series’ from both the England players and fans is infuriating. It’s doubling down on the most stupid thing about BazBall (saying it’s all about playing for results and then not caring about…the result) and winning the bastards even more fans. Also I can’t even enjoy our win properly/find the energy to hate England properly, because I’m so annoyed by my own team and the thought that this will just delay the inevitable.

I’m seriously considering jinxing us relentlessly going forward because maybe trying to hope for the best will remind me how to experience happiness again.
Or you could get a less self destructive hobby, I don't know, just spit-balling here.

thierry henry

International Coach
Also yeah, people who hate cricket might sometimes reference the whole ‘haha you play for 5 days’ thing, but mostly they just find the game fundamentally boring. Like, the 40 second wait from one ball to the next is what bothers them, not the format. That makes no sense, but then of course it doesn’t because people who don’t like cricket are stupid. Trying to formulate a version of cricket to appeal to people like this is really a waste of time tbh.