• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I guess this is why follow-on's don't really exist like they used to. Very proud of this batting effort. Great to see the openers dig in, and captain Kane score some runs again. The pitch looks fairly easy to bat on but still good to put some runs up with all the criticism going around

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
Williamson beat inzamul Haq(25) & Warner (25)but Equal with Sobers in 26 test century
Sobers 160 innings, KW 161* innings

Congratulation
Test Hundreds:

1.Smith- 30
2.Root- 29
3.Kohli- 27
4.Williamson- 26

.. Still dragging the chain out of the 'Big 4'... Given Kohli's form in the last few years he might lap him by the end of 2023.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Most test runs at the Basin Reserve:

Taylor, 1279
Williamson, 1254
Crowe, 1123
McCullum, 1021
Wright, 1005

Kane is close to another record.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Dreadful decision to enforce follow on,why didn't we just bat them out of game. Would have kept Anderson and Broad fresh too. Did he not bother to ask their opinion on this.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I guess this is why follow-on's don't really exist like they used to. Very proud of this batting effort. Great to see the openers dig in, and captain Kane score some runs again. The pitch looks fairly easy to bat on but still good to put some runs up with all the criticism going around
It really is a very stupid thing to do unless you absolutely must try and win the game in the next day. With three days to go it's just an insane decision and massively raises the risk of exactly this happening and then collapsing in a heap, totally exhausted, on Day 5 for no discernible purpose at all than just trying to win quicker.

It's the first time where I think Stokes' positivity as captain has crossed from "aggressive but merited" to "performative and pointless".

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Toothless bowling

I guess that's to be expected when two of your bowlers literally are old enough for dentures

Bazball's flaw is it's soft bowlers who rely on cloud cover and the duke to be effective

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
It really is a very stupid thing to do unless you absolutely must try and win the game in the next day. With three days to go it's just an insane decision and massively raises the risk of exactly this happening and then collapsing in a heap, totally exhausted, on Day 5 for no discernible purpose at all than just trying to win quicker.

It's the first time where I think Stokes' positivity as captain has crossed from "aggressive but merited" to "performative and pointless".
Yeah when you have lead of 226 then turn that into around 475-500 and stick NZ in. I bet Williamson doesn't find it so easy then. Hopefully we never see Stokes do this again and he has learnt lesson.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dreadful decision to enforce follow on,why didn't we just bat them out of game. Would have kept Anderson and Broad fresh too. Did he not bother to ask their opinion on this.
Must have been some clouds about so Jimmy would have wanted a bowl.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
How did the forecast look when ENG enforced the follow on? I know it's clear and looks fine now but I remember some murmuring about rain in the last day. Given ENG's success chasing side Baz came in, can't blame stokes for backing the boys to chase a target. Even now NZ are one wicket away from folding for sub 300 and giving England 100+ overs to chase it with a 4 man bowling attack featuring Bracewell and current Wagner.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How did the forecast look when ENG enforced the follow on? I know it's clear and looks fine now but I remember some murmuring about rain in the last day. Given ENG's success chasing side Baz came in, can't blame stokes for backing the boys to chase a target. Even now NZ are one wicket away from folding for sub 300 and giving England 100+ overs to chase it with a 4 man bowling attack featuring Bracewell and current Wagner.
Forecast was bad and there were perfect overhead conditions at the time for the 3 seamers, but Latham and Conway batted really well at a tough time.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ still needs to bat for a long time.