• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

ataraxia

International Coach
Since I don't follow first class cricket these days (indeed since ball--by-ball radio commentary stopped being a thing, so a long time now), I don't know much about current non-test players. I had a look through a few current player's first class averages (thank you NZC archive, great resource). Can anyone tell me why Tom Bruce isn't in the frame for a test spot - he's the only currently player (not in the test team) I think with a first class average in the mid to high 40's...
That average has nudged up 5 in the last one and a half seasons to clear the juicier prospects in the Cleavers and the Chapmans of the world, in which time we've been particularly unwilling to introduce new batting faces.

Generally he's been regarded as an engine-room no. 5 who feasts on CD flatties – but he should still be in the frame as his form is excellent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Since I don't follow first class cricket these days (indeed since ball--by-ball radio commentary stopped being a thing, so a long time now), I don't know much about current non-test players. I had a look through a few current player's first class averages (thank you NZC archive, great resource). Can anyone tell me why Tom Bruce isn't in the frame for a test spot - he's the only currently player (not in the test team) I think with a first class average in the mid to high 40's...
Bats at 5 so is seen as a bit of an engine room cash-in merchant I think.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Generally he's been regarded as an engine-room no. 5 who feasts on CD flatties – but he should still be in the frame as his form is excellent.
You'd have to think he'd be in the equation anyway. Anyone who knows how to bat time is going to be of interest to test match selectors.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you all think is the least that NZ has to set to win?

I think 300 can be tough in the fourth innings if they can take out England's Bradman in Brookman early.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think he is in the frame. Co-captained the A team tour to India late last year. He's probably behind Phillips who has a test 50 in his one test against Australia and an outstanding white ball record for the Black Caps. Then it would be between him and O'Donnell for middle order batting spots.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
over rate of 11.5 – that makes for 75-over days i am angrrrrrryy
It is good for New Zealand isn't it? England's bazball policy is to always go for the win which NZ can use to their advantage. Lesser the overs, more they take risks to get that win.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nice little video on Jeets over the break. Really lovely to see he managed to make such a success of himself even if things never worked out for him with NZ. Just seems like a lovely bloke. With 892 FC wickets he must be pretty high up in the all time Nz charts. Besides Hadlee is there anyone above him?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice little video on Jeets over the break. Really lovely to see he managed to make such a success of himself even if things never worked out for him with NZ. Just seems like a lovely bloke. With 892 FC wickets he must be pretty high up in the all time Nz charts. Besides Hadlee is there anyone above him?
Sydney Smith and Clarrie Grimmett, apparently. And both of those played a lot of their cricket outside NZ. 1,402 of Grimmett's 1,424 wickets were outside of NZ and 692 out of 955 of Smith's were either in the West Indies or UK. Then Tom Pritchard (818) and Andre Adams (692). Most of these players had extensive time playing cricket elsewhere. Neil Wagner's the highest current player, I think (802 wickets)

HeathDavisSpeed

Wikipedia also has a table on most Plunket Shield wickets and Stephen Boock is at the top on 492 (or 399 if you read the summary at the top). Again, Wagner is the nearest current challenger, but not sure how accurate this is.

(not sure how up to date this is)

Most Career Wickets in Plunket Shield:
PlayerProvinceMatchesWicketsAverageSpan
SL BoockOtago /Canterbury10149219.821973/74-1989/90
EJ ChatfieldWellington7937019.061973/74-1989/90
GW AldridgeNorthern Districts11935528.321998/99-2014/15
BJ ArnelNorthern Districts / Wellington9835426.282005/06-2017/18
RW BlairWellington / Central Districts5935214.731951/52-1964/65
MR GillespieWellington8234427.291999/00-2014/15
N WagnerOtago /Northern Districts8134426.402008/09-2022/23

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, don't think you can really count Grimmett in the NZ list given he got most of his development as a player in Australia. Know next to nothing about Smith doesn't seem to be much information at all about when he moved to Auckland.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wikipedia also has a table on most Plunket Shield wickets and Stephen Boock is at the top on 492 (or 399 if you read the summary at the top). Again, Wagner is the nearest current challenger, but not sure how accurate this is.

(not sure how up to date this is)

Most Career Wickets in Plunket Shield:
PlayerProvinceMatchesWicketsAverageSpan
SL BoockOtago /Canterbury10149219.821973/74-1989/90
EJ ChatfieldWellington7937019.061973/74-1989/90
GW AldridgeNorthern Districts11935528.321998/99-2014/15
BJ ArnelNorthern Districts / Wellington9835426.282005/06-2017/18
RW BlairWellington / Central Districts5935214.731951/52-1964/65
MR GillespieWellington8234427.291999/00-2014/15
N WagnerOtago /Northern Districts8134426.402008/09-2022/23
If Wagner remains committed to the cause you'd have to presume he'll eventually slog his way past Chats to the number 2 spot.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, don't think you can really count Grimmett in the NZ list given he got most of his development as a player in Australia. Know next to nothing about Smith doesn't seem to be much information at all about when he moved to Auckland.
Smith looks to have probably taken a not dissimilar number of wickets in NZ as Patel. Around 300 or so for Patel, around 250 for Smith. Really, the top NZ wicket takers are dominated by those who've plied some of their trade in the UK - given the scale of county cricket. The Plunket Shield list is probably a more relevant resource.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I dunno. Grimmett certainly developed his skills in New Zealand, and moved to Australia having already made a name for himself in the (limited) first-class game here. This was also before New Zealand played tests, so his only option to make a living from the game was to move to either Australia or England.

ataraxia

International Coach
Dare I say we have a chance, that all this fielding will tire the batsmen enough such that the #bazball that never fails does indeed fail?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Highest averages for keepers in matches they keep:

ABDV, 24 tests, average 57.4
Flower, 55 tests, average 53.7
Blundell, 17 tests, av 49.1
Gilchrist, 96 tests, av 47.6
Pant, 33 tests, av 43.7
Ames, 44, 43.4

Sanga, Walcott, Prior, Das, De Kock, Lindsay all 40

Lots between 37 and 40