• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

subshakerz

International Coach
Look this Stokes team is ridiculous - every match is prime time and Harry Brook has an ATG start

but the reality is until they can beat India and Australia, they are still pretenders. India has reigning titles against both England and Australia, they are the best until proven otherwise.
Depends on what we mean by 'best' in this thread.

Best against the best teams or best across all teams/conditions? I choose the latter definition.

Sunil1z

International Regular
By any of the two definitions, India still leads England.
India won’t lead England if you attribute all the losses England suffered in previous 4 years cycle to Root’s team and then hypothetically assume Stokes team will automatically win in those places . See it is very easy to prove India aren’t no.1

Similarly if you ignore India’s W/L ratio in last 8 years and focus only on series played in ENG in 2018, SA and NZ , then India won’t be no .1 . See stats don’t matter . What matters is hypothetical.

Attachments

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Very close between England and India. India are magnificent atm, but England's cricket is just extraordinary. I feel England's position is more fragile though, as it remains to be seen whether this extraordinary style of play will continue to be effective (a) against Australia's pace attack and (b) against India in Indian conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
England about to win back the Bannerman trophy. Hard to overlook them.

Overall I think it’s narrowly India, though important to not overlook their weakness in seamy conditions just because it’s been exposed by NZ and SA rather than England and Australia. If England score a convincing win in this summers Ashes I think you’d have to give them the unofficial crown, but it’s hard to say given they won’t be playing in conditions where they tend to poo themselves for some time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we went to Oz now, I think we’d at least not disgrace ourselves. And frankly that would be a huge step up on the last decade.

ma1978

International Debutant
Depends on what we mean by 'best' in this thread.

Best against the best teams or best across all teams/conditions? I choose the latter definition.
no team has established dominance in all conditions (only two teams have in the history of the game), and certainly England and Australia have not any more than India (neither has even demonstrated they can beat India in their own home conditions)

therefore the head to head matters and it is unequivocally India right now.

Ali TT

International Regular
The thread OP said currently, so what happened in the BG series two years ago or what might happen in a series next year are irrelevant. Six months is a long time in cricket, in fact as BazBall showed last year, a team's fortunes can change markedly in just two. Currently it's still England for me, but if NZ pull this test out of the bag or Australia do the unthinkable next month and tie up the series in India, that'd all change. There's not much in it.

subshakerz

International Coach
no team has established dominance in all conditions (only two teams have in the history of the game), and certainly England and Australia have not any more than India (neither has even demonstrated they can beat India in their own home conditions)

therefore the head to head matters and it is unequivocally India right now.
Nobody needs to be dominant across conditions, just better than the others across them.

Sorry, but India recently losing in SA and the last test in England makes it hard for me to think they are the best CURRENT team in the world. Recent form matters. They certainly don't look like it unless you are swayed over by their home dominance.

subshakerz

International Coach
The thread OP said currently, so what happened in the BG series two years ago or what might happen in a series next year are irrelevant. Six months is a long time in cricket, in fact as BazBall showed last year, a team's fortunes can change markedly in just two. Currently it's still England for me, but if NZ pull this test out of the bag or Australia do the unthinkable next month and tie up the series in India, that'd all change. There's not much in it.
This is the most duh point yet for some reason all these posters are just conveniently skipping it over.

Which is the best current team BASED ON RECENT FORM. They know its not India hence they are changing the criteria.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the most duh point yet for some reason all these posters are just conveniently skipping it over.

Which is the best current team BASED ON RECENT FORM. They know its not India hence they are changing the criteria.
What the **** are you on to? Even take recent form, India is destroying Australia in the test series right now and whitewashed Bangladesh prior to that. Whatever the criteria you take, India leads England.

Sunil1z

International Regular
What the **** are you on to? Even take recent form, India is destroying Australia in the test series right now and whitewashed Bangladesh prior to that. Whatever the criteria you take, India leads England.
India’s win doesn’t matter .
Ind lost to SA at the same time when England lost Ashes . But one series matters , other doesn’t because it doesn’t suit the argument

subshakerz

International Coach
OMG they whitewashed Bangladesh at home!? Yeah that totally makes up for them losing in SA.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Nobody needs to be dominant across conditions, just better than the others across them.

Sorry, but India recently losing in SA and the last test in England makes it hard for me to think they are the best CURRENT team in the world. Recent form matters. They certainly don't look like it unless you are swayed over by their home dominance.
So, you want to consider India's test losses and undermine India's achievements conveniently ignoring that they did not even lose that series and also completely ignore India's home record while you want to consider all of England's achievements against 2 countries and ignore their losses to prove they are better.

Bias can't be bigger than this. Just accept that you are biased against India and move on.