• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I hope for Young's sake that no more of CD's Plunket Shield games are postponed. Ravindra, Phillips, Nicholls, and Young might be effectively playing off in the PS for 1 test starting spot vs SL(if Blundell is batting 6).
For the sake or Phillips and Ravindra they're better off holding back although that is not in their hands. These guys will ruin them in no time. They are good positive players and with this management they will turn them into another Will Young. Best to be done with this management, maximum they will miss is couple of test matches. When the new bunch takes over is the best time for them to come in and stamp their authority.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
End of the road for Wagner ? Had his good time but at 37 not sure he'll get another season in Nz colors.
Yeah, I think after these last couple of tests it’s impossible to persist with him any longer. During last summer there was always the excuse of “Well he still looks good with the new ball, and it’s just one season, maybe he’ll perk up over the winter.” But he wasn’t even medium fast on Friday, it didn’t look like he was bowling any quicker than Mitchell throughout most of the day and at 37 it’s hard to see him getting that critical 7 or 8 k’s of pace back. He’s got 250 wickets, a great average and a WTC crown under the belt. If he wants to go on playing FC cricket for a couple more years then great, but with the PS giving the selectors an opportunity to scan about for other options I have my doubts as to whether he’ll even make the squad for the SL series.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Southee will just get Kuggeleijn in for Wagner now.

Another classy Christian man joins Ross Taylor in taking his final bow, to be replaced by...well, a specimen more befitting the Andrew Tate mood of the age.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Southee will just get Kuggeleijn in for Wagner now.

Another classy Christian man joins Ross Taylor in taking his final bow, to be replaced by...well, a specimen more befitting the Andrew Tate mood of the age.
No, Tickner should be ahead of Kuggleijn as should the likes of Duffy, Smith and Shipley (the latter two can also bat).

I am hoping to see a 7-11 of Smith, Sodhi, Henry, Southee, Tickner

G. S. Kohli

ESPNcricinfo

NEWS
Harry Brook rates latest Test carnage his best so far
Having ended the day unbeaten on a career-best 184, he now looks forward to drawing level with his father's highest score of 210

only Sunil Gavaskar (912) and Don Bradman (862) have scored more in their first six Tests.

In 2001, David Brook had struck an unbeaten 210 for Burley Cricket Club in the Airedale and Wharfedale League. Brook junior, aged two at the time, anticipates a message reminding him of the 26 runs left to get to draw level.

"My dad's highest score is 210, and my highest [first-class] score is 194. So that's in the back of my mind at the minute," he said. "But obviously need to face the first ball tomorrow, which is the main thing."

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
ESPNcricinfo

NEWS
Harry Brook rates latest Test carnage his best so far
Having ended the day unbeaten on a career-best 184, he now looks forward to drawing level with his father's highest score of 210

only Sunil Gavaskar (912) and Don Bradman (862) have scored more in their first six Tests.

In 2001, David Brook had struck an unbeaten 210 for Burley Cricket Club in the Airedale and Wharfedale League. Brook junior, aged two at the time, anticipates a message reminding him of the 26 runs left to get to draw level.

"My dad's highest score is 210, and my highest [first-class] score is 194. So that's in the back of my mind at the minute," he said. "But obviously need to face the first ball tomorrow, which is the main thing."
I don't know if you're a gambler (I'm not tbh), but I'd put 20 bucks on him just adding 2 runs to his overnight score before falling to a return catch c & b for 186.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, Tickner should be ahead of Kuggleijn as should the likes of Duffy, Smith and Shipley (the latter two can also bat).
Kuggeleijn would launch far more successful short ball assaults on the Bang/SL visiting teams we get so often in a standard summer schedule. Southee and Henry sort of have the new ball modes of getting wickets covered.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

I don't know if you're a gambler (I'm not tbh), but I'd put 20 bucks on him just adding 2 runs to his overnight score before falling to a return catch c & b for 186.
Gambler was very popular Asian film other than that i do not know nothing
Yes what a Tragedy! Youngster not able to equal his own score of 194 for Yorkshire vs Kent plus his fathers (210) & His coach Brendon Macullum 's 302 for nz vs India.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A question I have for England fans is how serious Stokes’ knee injury is and what implications it has for his role in the side. If it’s serious and likely to be ongoing you’d have to think he’ll need to start batting like less of a dick before long.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope for Young's sake that no more of CD's Plunket Shield games are postponed. Ravindra, Phillips, Nicholls, and Young might be effectively playing off in the PS for 1 test starting spot vs SL(if Blundell is batting 6).
I thought PS meant Playstation, the Non-New Zealander that I am :ph34r:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess it's the Bazball way of doing things, but the follow on made no sense at all. The wicket will surely offer more to Leach in a day's time whilst the seamers get a day's rest. A quick 300 and set 500+ over 2 days.
Interesting, because someone in commentary said Bazball was tailor-made for not enforcing and setting an imposing 4th innings target. And I've heard it said the other way.

I thought it made some sense - ball still doing a fair bit, bowlers fresh, last Test of the series so no issues with further fatigue, NZ low on confidence, it's been known to rain in Wellington etc. But I will also acknowledge that England could've knocked up a 450-run lead by tea or just after, and been bowling now.

The Hutt Rec

Interesting, because someone in commentary said Bazball was tailor-made for not enforcing and setting an imposing 4th innings target. And I've heard it said the other way.

I thought it made some sense - ball still doing a fair bit, bowlers fresh, last Test of the series so no issues with further fatigue, NZ low on confidence, it's been known to rain in Wellington etc. But I will also acknowledge that England could've knocked up a 450-run lead by tea or just after, and been bowling now.
I guess the recent history of big third and fourth totals at the Basin means even 450 could be knocked off pretty easily.

Moss

Gambler was very popular Asian film other than that i do not know nothing
Yes what a Tragedy! Youngster not able to equal his own score of 194 for Yorkshire vs Kent plus his fathers (210) & His coach Brendon Macullum 's 302 for nz vs India.
If you mean the 90s Govinda film, gotta say this forum is the last place I would expect to come across that reference. Then again, this is exactly why I love CW.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the recent history of big third and fourth totals at the Basin means even 450 could be knocked off pretty easily.
Again this could be different given the turn on offer, though as not terribly as Bracewell has bowled I kinda doubt he’ll be able to make that much of an impression on England’s batting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Very generous of Jimmy to give Kane a juicy leg-stump half volley to ease his way past Ross to all time record run scorer for NZ.