• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
He isn't good enough to keep us from trying others out after failing in a series.
I saw him bat in the practice game and he looked out of sorts. Couple of catches went down and then was out to Leach trying to hit him over the top. I suppose this test match came at a wrong time to him. Generally he's on top of the game so this test match should be taken with a grain of salt and we should persist with him. Not fair for him to wait another year to get a hit.

Meridio

International Regular
Really strong day for NZ. Dug themselves out of the mire.

Pleased for Leach. He's been a bit of also ran in the figures but has earned some joy, and on a surface doing nothing for him was our best bowler and could have taken a couple more with a bit of luck.
Wouldn't say the surface has done nothing for him - quite the opposite in fact, I think it's turned more than any Basin pitch I can remember, and offers bounce too. Root got a few to really rag too.

Last edited:

kevinw

International 12th Man
Waking up to the score, the follow-on was the only chance NZ had in this game, ironically. England should've just batted for 50-60 overs to score another 300, then declare with NZ facing an impossible 500 in two days, even if they're weather affected.

Should NZ score another 220 or so, it might cause some nerves.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it's definitely had a bit for the spinners. Bounce and rip, from the first session when Bracewell bowled.

It's actually been the best Test pitch I remember. You can score runs on it, you can turn and bounce it, you can seam it, swing it, a couple have jumped, it's just a brilliant deck. In the best Test location in the world (don't @ me, sorry Galle).

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, it's definitely had a bit for the spinners. Bounce and rip, from the first session when Bracewell bowled.

It's actually been the best Test pitch I remember. You can score runs on it, you can turn and bounce it, you can seam it, swing it, a couple have jumped, it's just a brilliant deck. In the best Test location in the world (don't @ me, sorry Galle).
Too far from the train station and they made the wrong decision to upgrade the 120 year old men's urinal. That thing was classic.
Can't beat the grass embankment though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm not sure what you are meaning but I'm saying you can't drop him after one bad test. He has to be given a reasonable run. At least 3 series. Not just having in the squad but should be playing all 6 test matches. If he can't pull off good knocks then you move to the next guy.
I mean bringing a guy in for one test and then dropping him for the next sends a poor message to anyone waiting in the wings. Doesn't really help their confidence.

Despite what Athlai reckons, a full series or two is warranted.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I mean bringing a guy in for one test and then dropping him for the next sends a poor message to anyone waiting in the wings. Doesn't really help their confidence.
I'd agree if he was dropped for another batsman, but the balance of the team is not sustainable long term. When a batsman is dropped for a bowler I'm not sure it's a really a 'dropping' in a conventional sense.

I'd definitely drop Nicholls or Bracewell instead but it's not a matter of bringing him in and dropping him after one game because he sucks; it's a matter of rethinking the balance of the side.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
100% doesn't matter at whose cost otherwise he'll be gone. A new regime may come in and opt for youngsters. Young is neither a youngster nor a seasoned international player as yet. It's precarious.
I hope for Young's sake that no more of CD's Plunket Shield games are postponed. Ravindra, Phillips, Nicholls, and Young might be effectively playing off in the PS for 1 test starting spot vs SL(if Blundell is batting 6).

ataraxia

International Coach
I hope for Young's sake that no more of CD's Plunket Shield games are postponed. Ravindra, Phillips, Nicholls, and Young might be effectively playing off in the PS for 1 test starting spot vs SL(if Blundell is batting 6).
there's no Plunket games between tests players will be available for

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Waking up to the score, the follow-on was the only chance NZ had in this game, ironically. England should've just batted for 50-60 overs to score another 300, then declare with NZ facing an impossible 500 in two days, even if they're weather affected.

Should NZ score another 220 or so, it might cause some nerves.
NZ could score a lot more than 220 if they get through the 1st hour with the new ball. They could also get bundled out for only another 50 tomorrow morning.

NZ's largest (467 for the 3rd wicket Jones & Crowe), 4th largest (365* for the 6th wicket, Williamson & Watling), and 5th largest (352 for the 6th wicket, McCullum & Watling) were all scored in the 3rd innings at the Basin.

Molehill

International Captain
I guess it's the Bazball way of doing things, but the follow on made no sense at all. The wicket will surely offer more to Leach in a day's time whilst the seamers get a day's rest. A quick 300 and set 500+ over 2 days.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I guess it's the Bazball way of doing things, but the follow on made no sense at all. The wicket will surely offer more to Leach in a day's time whilst the seamers get a day's rest. A quick 300 and set 500+ over 2 days.
The seamers hadn't bowled much and it was overcast and great conditions for new ball bowling this morning. The NZ openers just did very well. Shame one of them couldn't push on to get 150.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it’d usually be the right option at the Basin, especially given that the bowlers had made relatively short work of the first innings. The Basin usually offers nothing for spinners, so the only thing to do for the bowlers is to make maximum use of the surface while it’s still fresh (which thanks to the atmospheric conditions over the first 2 days the pitch definitely was). I think you’ve got to doff your cap to Conway and Latham, batting wasn’t easy at all in the morning and the first hour after lunch, and they found a way to get through. Obviously with the spin really starting to come into play after tea it looks like a poor decision, but that’s so unusual for the Basin that I’m not surprised they enforced the follow-on.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'd agree if he was dropped for another batsman, but the balance of the team is not sustainable long term. When a batsman is dropped for a bowler I'm not sure it's a really a 'dropping' in a conventional sense.

I'd definitely drop Nicholls or Bracewell instead but it's not a matter of bringing him in and dropping him after one game because he sucks; it's a matter of rethinking the balance of the side.
I agree. I'd feel sorry for him but I think the best balance is something like this:

Ravinda
Latham
Conway
Williamson
Phillips (or Young, but I think Phillips has more upside)
Mitchell
Blundell
Shipley/Smith/Sodhi
Henry
Southee
Tickner/Sears

or:

Latham
Conway
Williamson
Phillips/Young (see above)
Mitchell
Blundell
Smith
Sodhi (* Smith is probably good enough for 7 long term, but Shipley is an 8 at best - terrible start to ODI batting)
Henry
Southee
Tickner/Sears

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

Definitely straight swap for Nicholls at this stage. I'm still scratching my head over this. We were the ones behind prior this test match and needed to take 20 wickets. We went for 4 bowlers if you consider Bracewell as a full time bowler. I'd have thought we would go with 4 fast bowlers and Bracewell at no.7 if we want to win the game.

The 8 batsmen may help in tomorrow's situation but then even if we get a reasonable lead we have one bowler with lost confidence in Wagner, Southee looking quite tired, Bracewell a half a bowler. Henry hadn't had a game since Pakistan series as well.. I can't make any sense out of our selections of late.