• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Athlai

Not Terrible
The NZ selectors would probably justify selecting Macewell and Mitchell as 4th and 5th bowlers as being the same formula that was successful in the past, when Santner and De Grandhomme were 4th and 5th.

While Macewell approx equals Santner as a test bowler, that old formula used to work because our 5th bowler CDG was better than our 4th and almost frontline bowler level in many conditions. Certainly >>>> Mitchell. That's no slight on Mitchell's part-timers, it just tells us that in this side we should select an actual frontline 4th bowler.
Bracewell averages 15 with the ball at the Basin

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The NZ selectors would probably justify selecting Macewell and Mitchell as 4th and 5th bowlers as being the same formula that was successful in the past, when Santner and De Grandhomme were 4th and 5th.

While Macewell approx equals Santner as a test bowlers, that old formula used to work because our 5th bowler CDG was better than our 4th and almost frontline bowler level in many conditions. Certainly >>>> Mitchell. That's no slight on Mitchell's part-timers, it just tells us that in this side we should select an actual frontline 4th bowler.
Yeah CDG was the fourth bowler and miles ahead of Mitchell. Moreover, Santner wasn't really better than Macewell but he fit the formula better by being a containing bowler. Totally different things.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hang on, I thought Bazball had an element of playing to the conditions? (even though this has never been demonstrated so far)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah true, but I think tactically I'd play Henry and Southee normally and then try to flog Bracewell (and Mitchell if/when he bowls).

England will probably just try to flog them all though. The meme seems almost self-perputating - I don't think they really were doing that when people first started accusing them of it.
Pope is such a great microcosm of this. Here are his strike rates per innings since he was recalled at #3 as part of the Bazball era.

1677191714277.png

There was definitely always a concerted effort to play with more freedom when McCullum/Stokes took over but I feel like the more people talk about it the more extremes they seem to take it to.