• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I reckon wait a few months mate, if they can win the Ashes then I'm more than happy to say they're top 2.

And wowee, if you want to open a bookies, I reckon more than a few people will take your odds. If it doesn't rain, I reckon they win 8-9 out of 10 and we might sneak one or two. I'm not sure how though, given they are better than us everywhere from 1-11 apart from WK.
I think we have better experience and like I said Basin is our fort. It's bouncy, will seam all over the place and even a not so good seam bowler will be like McGrath on this deck for the first couple of days. If we can bowl first England may score 200 in one session and get bowled out :laugh:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
toss much of a factor here?
Every time... win toss bowl first, bowl opponent cheaply. The pitch gets really good to bat on day 3 and onwards. Always spongy bounce, doesn't come on to the bat. Like I said average medium pacers look like Malcolm Marshall on day 1 and 2

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
toss much of a factor here?
Yup. NZ haven’t played many tests here against top sides in the past decade, but on the occasions they have:

India won the toss in 2014 bowled first, racked up a 250 run first innings lead, and NZ were only bailed out by Baz’s second innings 300
Aus won the toss in 2015 bowled first, gained a 300ish first innings lead and won at a canter
SA won the toss in 2017, bowled first, gained a 100ish first innings lead and won by about 8 wickets.
NZ won the toss v India in 2020, bowled first, gained a 200 run first innings lead and won by 10 wickets.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, they've dropped Tickner! Actually got batters out with decent balls in MM and showed courage with the bat and in adversity re Hawkes Bay.
Mitchell as 4th seamer (although should bowl 3rd before Wagner) and playing 6 bats plus Blundell. Bracewell at 8.

Would've definitely preferred Tickner for Bracewell in that case, or kept Sodhi in the squad and played him at 8.

Last edited: