• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Victor Ian

International Coach
ATG >50 tests

B Richards
Grace (c)
Headley
G Pollock
Weekes
Walcott
Ames (wk)
Davidson
O'Reilly
Adcock
SF Barnes

ATG 50 - 100 tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Hammond
G Chappell
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood

The 50-100 team is stacked. Miller (55 tests) can't even make it, and neither can Sutcliffe. The only challenge would be if spinners were needed.

For obvious reasons there are no current players in these sides as they may move to the 50-100, or 100+ teams as they play more tests.
"<"

bagapath

International Captain
>100 Tests all-time XI.

Gavaskar
G Smith *
V Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Sangakkara +
Kallis
Akram
Warne
Murali
McGrath
I will probably go

First XI

Gavaskar
Hayden
Richards *
Tendulkar
Lara
Botham
Healy +
S Pollock
Akram
Warne
McGrath

Second XI

Greenidge
Smith
Sangakara
Kallis
Border *
Kapil
Boucher +
Kumble
Murali
Walsh
Anderson

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I will probably go

First XI

Gavaskar
Hayden
Richards *
Tendulkar
Lara
Botham
Healy +
S Pollock
Akram
Warne
McGrath

Second XI

Greenidge
Smith
Sangakara
Kallis
Border *
Kapil
Boucher +
Kumble
Murali
Walsh
Anderson
That's a very long tail in the 2nd XI with only an adequate 6/7. Pick McCullum for Boucher - better keeper and batter (and bat him ahead of Kapil). You could also pick AB but he is a far worse keeper than McCullum and Boucher.

Actually on 2nd thoughts I'd go with the following (Kallis as 5th bowler and Waugh/Border as 6th/7th). Drop Kumble.

Greenidge
Smith
Sangakkara
Kallis
Border
S Waugh/Miandad (Miandad would bat ahead of Border)
McCullum
Kapil
Murali
Anderson
Walsh

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
An all-rounder XI for a match to be played in the sc.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Monty Noble
Ian Botham
Jacques Kallis
Gary Sobers
Ravindra Jadeja
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Benaud
Hadlee
Ashwin

Squad: Shakib, Keith Miller

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
make up your mind, dude
Is Botham in the playing XI or in the reserves?
Ha ha. That No 3 position was the last position that I filled in. I could not think of any all-rounder worthy there. So, copied Botham from the reserves to the main team. Corrected now.

Grumbleguts

Cricket Spectator
Greenidge
Gooch
V Richards
G Chappell
Lara
Pollock
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
Marshall
Ambrose

only picked players I’ve watched over the years except for pollock who I’ve seen only on you tube clips. Looking at it now I see my bias towards the great West Indian teams of the 70/80/90 the best squad of players to ever play imo. Gooch was a magnificent player of fast bowling and greenidge was a beast. Imagine if Viv had played 20/20, Chappell a maestro, Lara could hit it anywhere from anywhere and score big, pollock looked impossible to bowl to, Gilchrist even defended with power, Akram in all conditions excelled, warney the master competitor, Marshall my favourite player ever and the finest of bowlers, big Curtly always hitting the top of the bat.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My favourite XI in my years of watching cricket. 4 Aussies, 3 Indians, 1 each from Eng, SA, WI and Pak.

Marcus Trescothick
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Ravindra Jadeja
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn
Glenn Mcgrath

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
An all-rounder XI for a match to be played in the sc.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Monty Noble
Ian Botham
Jacques Kallis
Gary Sobers
Ravindra Jadeja
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Imran Khan
Benaud
Hadlee
Ashwin

Squad: Shakib, Keith Miller
Mankad for Jayasuriya.
It would also be interesting to see him discussing and practising "run outs" with Ashwin.

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Captain
Mankad for Jayasuriya.
Jaya did well with the bat in Asia (and pretty well with the ball, but that is less of an issue in this team). I would rather get rid of Noble of the openers. Never played in Asia, and was a htb in Aus, which is more than a little different from Asia.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
You've possibly been a touch kind on Stephen Fleming not mentioning his name there.
That’s two of my all-time favourite players you’ve mentioned there… ?
Got a shortlist as below.

Stewart/Gayle
Atherton
Ian Bell
Mark Waugh/Hooper
Jayawardene/Saleem Malik
Chanderpaul/Ganguly
Boucher
Vettori
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Ntini
Two of my all-time favourite players in that list. ?
As much as I dislike Shiv, he really shouldn't be lined up along the likes of Hooper or Ian Bell.
Bell is one of my favorite players. He is 9th in the all-time list of England run scorers. He is remembered for his classy cover drives. Leave him alone!

Socerer 01

International Captain

Bell is one of my favorite players. He is 9th in the all-time list of England run scorers. He is remembered for his classy cover drives. Leave him alone!
wait a minute.. this account’s style seems familiar..

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

We are not comparing nobodies here. Anyone who has played more than 100 tests is actually a good player. Just picked the worst of those. Any one in your mind better suited than Bell at 3 in that team?