• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
>100 Tests all-time XI.

Gavaskar
G Smith *
V Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Sangakkara +
Kallis
Akram
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Good team. But personally feel a better third pacer is required and so, Pollock can fit in there instead of Kallis. Both Ambrose and Steyn so closely miss the mark.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I dislike Shiv, he really shouldn't be lined up along the likes of Hooper or Ian Bell.
Yes, he is the one name I thought about for a long time before adding to this list but he did get a lot of bogus not outs to boost his average.

Ganguly can take his place at 6 and be the captain of this side.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, based on popular opinion, below is the side for being the worst to play 100 tests. Anyone differs with it?

Stewart
Atherton
Ian Bell
Mark Waugh
Hooper
Ganguly (c)
Boucher
Vettori
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Ntini

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think if you get to 100 Test matches, it's hard to define you as the "worst" at anything. :p

Otherwise, have no problem with the actual team construction though, lol.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, based on popular opinion, below is the side for being the worst to play 100 tests. Anyone differs with it?

Stewart
Atherton
Ian Bell
Mark Waugh
Hooper
Ganguly (c)
Boucher
Vettori
Harbhajan Singh
Ishant Sharma
Ntini
I'd pick Strauss instead Stewart. Stewart was a quality opener who stood up to the Windies quicks, but his average suffered when keeping (and he was a poor keeper). If you want Stewart, pick him instead of Boucher.

I'd also pick Fleming (c) instead of M Waugh. Waugh was probably the 4th best middle order bat of the 90s behind Tendulkar, Lara, and his twin bro. I'd narrowly put Mark ahead of Aravinda for the 90s.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd pick Strauss instead Stewart. Stewart was a quality opener who stood up to the Windies quicks, but his average suffered when keeping (and he was a poor keeper). If you want Stewart, pick him instead of Boucher.

I'd also pick Fleming (c) instead of M Waugh. Waugh was probably the 4th best middle order bat of the 90s behind Tendulkar, Lara, and his twin bro. I'd narrowly put Mark ahead of Aravinda for the 90s.
I will put Aravinda, Dravid, Inzy, Andy Flower and Thorpe all ahead of Mark Waugh in tests while Mark Waugh in ODIs was a beast. But yes, Fleming should get into the team ahead of Mark Waugh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
ATG <50 tests

B Richards
Grace (c)
Headley
G Pollock
Weekes
Walcott
Ames (wk)
Davidson
O'Reilly
Adcock
SF Barnes

ATG 50 - 100 tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Hammond
G Chappell
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood

The 50-100 team is stacked. Miller (55 tests) can't even make it, and neither can Sutcliffe. The only challenge would be if spinners were needed.

For obvious reasons there are no current players in these sides as they may move to the 50-100, or 100+ teams as they play more tests.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ATG >50 tests

B Richards
Grace (c)
Headley
G Pollock
Weekes
Walcott
Ames (wk)
Davidson
O'Reilly
Adcock
SF Barnes

ATG 50 - 100 tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Hammond
G Chappell
Sobers
Gilchrist (wk)
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Underwood

The 50-100 team is stacked. Miller (55 tests) can't even make it. Smith would make it even stronger. The only challenge would be if spinners were needed.

For obvious reasons there are no current players as they may change move to the 50-100, or 100+ teams.
The first XI needs more Clem Hill.