• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
It is unfortunate & in fact India probably has the most deaths worldwide due to air pollution - even higher than China. But it's also unavoidable in India till we get stricter regulations & even stricter enforcement wrt (air) pollution. Frankly I don't see that in my lifetime & I'm expecting/hoping another 5 decades of it, without the thick air of course.
Honestly a national, unavoidable shock like "Test series gets cancelled because of unacceptable playing conditions" is the sort of thing that can actually spur a populace into action on this. It's absolutely fixable far quicker than the generational timeline suggests, but it requires pretty much everyone to buy-in from common poor people cooking over open charcoal fires and burning crops (which is a very common cause of air pollution throughout southern and SE Asia) to big industries who see air quality restrictions as nothing more than an unwanted cost on business. Which makes it at once very easy, because none of the individual actions required are beyond any of the people involved, but also near impossible because of the amount of buy-in you need. Unless you impose it from the top, which I don't think India's federal system of government allows...?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Delhi's air quality isn't as bad as some of the images/news would make it seem.

It's worse. It was legit one of the main reasons I changed jobs a couple of years ago and relocated to Pune/Mumbai (where it's bad too, but holy hell is it way better). The air is awful by itself, but Delhi/Gurgaon's brutal climate makes it almost unbearable.

R!TTER

State Regular
Honestly a national, unavoidable shock like "Test series gets cancelled because of unacceptable playing conditions" is the sort of thing that can actually spur a populace into action on this. It's absolutely fixable far quicker than the generational timeline suggests, but it requires pretty much everyone to buy-in from common poor people cooking over open charcoal fires and burning crops (which is a very common cause of air pollution throughout southern and SE Asia) to big industries who see air quality restrictions as nothing more than an unwanted cost on business. Which makes it at once very easy, because none of the individual actions required are beyond any of the people involved, but also near impossible because of the amount of buy-in you need. Unless you impose it from the top, which I don't think India's federal system of government allows...?
It won't, even if the head of the state/ruling party dies it won't change anything. The reason is simple - lax regulation, or lax enforcement fills the pockets of politicians/businesses & bureaucrats even more! Why would they change something which inconveniences kills just a few million people annually?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Might not be the worst toss to lose if there's assitance for quick bowlers first up, like there has been in Delhi recently in the Ranji Trophy games.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
lmao are Aus taking the piss here with that bowling "attack"? Man, bury KL and Kohli alive if they don't fill their boots against this lot.