• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

ataraxia

International Coach
Which opener has scored the most runs overseas in the last 7 years? Why, KL Rahul! itstl

(to be clear, I definitely think he should be dropped lol)

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
How is Warner even relevant in this conversation? We were discussing Asian openers in Away from Asia conditions.
Nah , above search results is for everyone overseas.
And my point is that because of emergence of quality fast bowlers everywhere, 35 should be acceptable average for openers.
Gill’s technique is not suited for being an opener . Don’t confuse the format .

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nah , above search results is for everyone overseas.
And my point is that because of emergence of quality fast bowlers everywhere, 35 should be acceptable average for openers.
Gill’s technique is not suited for being an opener . Don’t confuse the format .
You seem to be shifting with each post. This was your original statement:

KL Rahul has 2nd most Test century outside Asia for an Asian batsman. I don’t like him . But Team management doesn’t want to take risk with unproven batsmen outside Asia
Gill failed in Eng but was brilliant in Aus. In fact so brilliant, I'd say it's one of the best performances in a series by an Asian opener in Aus. He didn't get a big 100, but was consistent and dependable, not to mention played one of the best innings by an opener at Gabba in a tough chase.

So Gill cannot open is a statement that doesn't hold much water. Yes, he didn't do well in the tests following that tour. But the key thing is he has played these bowlers and dominated them in the past. So I'd back him ahead of KLR.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Even Mayank Agarwal did well in Aus tour in 2018 and failed everywhere else .
Batting as opener is extremely tough nowadays. We should accept 35 average as good.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Even Mayank Agarwal did well in Aus tour in 2018 and failed everywhere else .
Batting as opener is extremely tough nowadays. We should accept 35 average as good.
Rohit has poured cold water on this theory though. He showed how it should be done at home as well as didn't do shabbily overseas as well, since the last 2 years or so.
Rohit averages 45 overseas (non Asian conditions)
Rohit averages Rohitly at home opener or not.

That should be the standard for Indian test cricketers.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
And yes, Mayank also should be in the mix ideally. He was discarded completely after a bad series in Aus. Whereas KLR was persisted with a similar terrible series in Aus in 2018-19. Mayank still averages over 40 in test cricket. And his recent form at home (in Ranji trophy) has been brilliant (last innings being a 248 in the SF vs Saurashtra)

Sunil1z

International Regular
Rohit has poured cold water on this theory though. He showed how it should be done at home as well as didn't do shabbily overseas as well, since the last 2 years or so.
Rohit averages 45 overseas (non Asian conditions)
Rohit averages Rohitly at home opener or not.

That should be the standard for Indian test cricketers.
Rohit gets injured before every overseas tour .let him play atleast 10 Test consecutively without getting injured

Sunil1z

International Regular
@Sunil1z you wanted Kohli and Rohit out of the odi team despite them not playing much of it and yet want to keep Rahul in the test team despite his poor form? :blink:
Because in ODI we have options. Not in Test . Any replacement of Rahul will do worse than Rahul overseas. We should persist with Rahul in Test like Ishant.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Gill opening overseas is not something I'm very confident in tbh. Should definitely be in the team but probably in the middle order.
His style suits hard bouncy tracks like in Aus but is a suspect when it comes to swinging conditions. He did make good runs in NZ but probably the wickets were flat then.

KL is **** pretty much everywhere at the moment. And then he somehow conjures up a 100 so that he can continue to be **** again.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KL in swing friendly conditions makes sense. Shaw, Gill, Agarwal all suck in those. But the dude’s just up his own arse atm and in a terrible mental state of mind. Don’t trust him to score too many anywhere.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Gill should replace Pujara imo.
Rahul should be replaced by Shaw or Mayank .
Gill opening overseas is not something I'm very confident in tbh. Should definitely be in the team but probably in the middle order.
i keep seeing this but other than being 3 at U19 world cup and kkr shoehorning him at 7 apart from the odd India game, has Gill really played that much in middle order? his preference has also been to open and he only said that he doesn’t mind being in middle order for team balance. i’d rather play our best potential talent in his most natural position than try to fiddle with his position to cover for long underperforming ageing stars, we have other players for their positions anyways

Socerer 01

International Captain
KL in swing friendly conditions makes sense. Shaw, Gill, Agarwal all suck in those. But the dude’s just up his own arse atm and in a terrible mental state of mind. Don’t trust him to score too many anywhere.
Rahul isn’t that good in swing conditions tbh, one of those centuries against England came on a flat pitch in a dead rubber. i think Gill given time and coaching will learn to play and adapt to swing better