• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What do think England will do if they don't select Buttler, when Bairstow is fit again ?
Hard to know. If he was back today, it'd be Crawley or, sadly, Brook. Bairstow would still be ahead of Pope or Duckett though if Brook/Crawley have a great run.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hard to know. If he was back today, it'd be Crawley or, sadly, Brook. Bairstow would still be ahead of Pope or Duckett though if Brook/Crawley have a great run.
It seems Crawley would be the one to go but England seem to want to stick with him, probably because of his double hundred. Or because of the money & time they have invested in him.
If he's dropped, what would your XI look like ?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
England wanna stick with crawley because he has an uncanny ability to play freakish knocks and tap into some divine energy that turns him into peak kevin pietersen for an hour before turning back into zak crawley, and his style of batting fits in with the bazball mentality, which is a massive plus.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Win or lose, I'm quite excited to watch this England test side. They have legends with experience still playing and more than enough youth to add to the mix. Ideal combination to attract interest from public. It's going to be a sell out the two test matches. High chances England will be bowled out for like 175-200 in one inning. If they bat really badly still they'll score around 200 in 40 or 50 overs. If we can get some substantial lead in one of those instances we stand to win a game.

Our best chance is at basin. I think it'll be 1-1.

nzfan

Looks like the spinners Ashok and Van Woerkom got smashed, going at 10 an over with Brook particularly severe.

I was just reading Mark Richardson's book 'Thinking Negatively' and he discusses how he got the yips as a spinner. This came to a head when he was picked for a NZ XI against England also at Seddon Park and sent down a series of full tosses and long hops. That pretty much was his last first class game as a spinner. Yet his economy rate was actually far better than what Van Woerkom and Ashok endured, going at just under 6 an over. And they probably didn't bowl *that* badly.

That was such a good section to read. Plenty of humor with England players laughing at having to play Richardson. His grand parents had enough and left the ground ?

Good thing that happened though and Richardson had an above average career with the bat.

Great book that, one of the best I've read.

nzfan

psychological tho aye?

plus it isn't neccessarily the pasting but your own satisfaction with your bowling in my experience. everything is coming out wrong and no matter how hard you try you can't fix it and it spirals.

ashok actually looks a good bowler tbh and he's still so young. van woerkom looks a bit more pedestrian but his development is severely curtailed by the state of our domestic cricket.
I think Rippon had yips recently and that could have been the reason why they didn't play him in India. He didn't bowl much for otago this year in super smash too. Ravindra had yips last year and has come back really well. For some reason it only seems to affect left armers or leg spinners.

Theo is actually a good bowler and was performing reasonably for Canterbury but then Sodhi ended up moving to Canterbury. If Sodhi plays they'll not play Theo so the opportunities are limited. Besides Hagley like basin is set up for pacers. It's a tough gig if you're a spinner and play for Canterbury or Wellington.

ataraxia

International Coach
Canterbury seem to generally be fairly kind to spinners from what I've seen, which is good. Great that van Woerkom has played 31 FC matches, and actually performed fairly decently – despite McConchie normally sufficing as Canterbury's spin.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Nice piece about the time Auckland gave Andersen a game during the 2008 series, prompting local outrage as it helped him get into form for the remaining tests. A potential turning point in his career as he and Broad got recalled for the second test while Hoggard and Harmison were dropped. He took a five wicket bag England won and the rest is history.

At senior level Anderson has only ever played for three teams – England, Lancashire, and Auckland.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nice piece about the time Auckland gave Andersen a game during the 2008 series, prompting local outrage as it helped him get into form for the remaining tests. A potential turning point in his career as he and Broad got recalled for the second test while Hoggard and Harmison were dropped. He took a five wicket bag England won and the rest is history.

At senior level Anderson has only ever played for three teams – England, Lancashire, and Auckland.

Are there any scorecards to be seen ?

FBU

International Debutant

And he is going to be playing with de Grandhomme this summer for Lancs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls averages 37.94 across his test career – with that number dipping to 21.66 in 17 away tests
Eesh, I would've thought those runs in the UAE years ago would've dragged his away average a bit higher, but no.

21.66 is appalling.

Edit: turns out the author did a sneaky stats manipulation to exclude neutral venues ie. UAE. With that included he has 879 runs at 26.63 away, which is still pretty bad.

Chewie

Henry is awaiting the birth of his first child apparently, wonder if he'll make it for the test

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eesh, I would've thought those runs in the UAE years ago would've dragged his away average a bit higher, but no.

21.66 is appalling.

Edit: turns out the author did a sneaky stats manipulation to exclude neutral venues ie. UAE. With that included he has 879 runs at 26.63 away, which is still pretty bad.
He's wet-fish Gavin Larsen's kind of bloke though isn't he.