• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

jcas0167

International Debutant
Looks like the spinners Ashok and Van Woerkom got smashed, going at 10 an over with Brook particularly severe.

I was just reading Mark Richardson's book 'Thinking Negatively' and he discusses how he got the yips as a spinner. This came to a head when he was picked for a NZ XI against England also at Seddon Park and sent down a series of full tosses and long hops. That pretty much was his last first class game as a spinner. Yet his economy rate was actually far better than what Van Woerkom and Ashok endured, going at just under 6 an over. And they probably didn't bowl *that* badly.

Flem274*

123/5
Looks like the spinners Ashok and Van Woerkom got smashed, going at 10 an over with Brook particularly severe.

I was just reading Mark Richardson's book 'Thinking Negatively' and he discusses how he got the yips as a spinner. This came to a head when he was picked for a NZ XI against England also at Seddon Park and sent down a series of full tosses and long hops. That pretty much was his last first class game as a spinner. Yet his economy rate was actually far better than what Van Woerkom and Ashok endured, going at just under 6 an over. And they probably didn't bowl *that* badly.

psychological tho aye?

plus it isn't neccessarily the pasting but your own satisfaction with your bowling in my experience. everything is coming out wrong and no matter how hard you try you can't fix it and it spirals.

ashok actually looks a good bowler tbh and he's still so young. van woerkom looks a bit more pedestrian but his development is severely curtailed by the state of our domestic cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Send these ****wits home and see if we can find someone who’ll play properly at short notice
If it's flat as ****, why not score at 6 and a halves?

As I've said before, I find it refreshing as hell that England are playing an approach that is purely around winning the next Test and entertaining, with no interest in 'building' towards the Ashes. Even their media is now focused on the here and now and what crazy **** might happen on day 1 of the upcoming Test, rather than 'how this pertains to playing Australia'.

thundaboult

International Debutant
embrace the bazball boyos

but srs tho catchphrases and buzzwords aside .... its fun to watch, not everyone can pull it off but its entertaining stuff

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Send these ****wits home and see if we can find someone who’ll play properly at short notice
Yeah disgusting play. Where is 'see out the first hour'? Where is 'no run there'? Where is the self abegnation of a day of toil at 2.5 runs per over?

England just don't get it. Terrible.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I see Young is listed to bat at 3 for the NZ XI, I think that's ok.

W O'Donnell's game is pretty similar to Crawley imo, tall-ish and stays leg side of the ball, thwacks it but a big risk to both edges and getting bowled through the gate.

Cumming very young but would be great experience if he can hang around for 50+ balls.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You can still get tickets for day 3 at places like Viagogo, but only at more than twice the standard fare. Paying about $75 for a GA ticket.

Tbf, I guess that's still a fraction of the price you'd pay for a ticket in England.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Young just played a very Will Young half-forward defense to a ball a foot+ outside off to edge Potts behind, but simple catch dropped at second slip.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can still get tickets for day 3 at places like Viagogo, but only at more than twice the standard fare. Paying about $75 for a GA ticket.

Tbf, I guess that's still a fraction of the price you'd pay for a ticket in England.
Last time I checked, Viagogo is an absolute crock. An abyss with ripping off people at the core of its design. I'd rather have a go at hopping the fence and gifting Cricket Wellington $100 than buying a ticket from there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Last time I checked, Viagogo is an absolute crock. An abyss with ripping off people at the core of its design. I'd rather have a go at hopping the fence and gifting Cricket Wellington $100 than buying a ticket from there.
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep an eye out for people selling tickets on Trademe and hope for the best. If I can't get tickets, well there's always the NZ v SL test in March.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep an eye out for people selling tickets on Trademe and hope for the best. If I can't get tickets, well there's always the NZ v SL test in March.
With you on that. So rare that I miss a Basin test though. Hopefully it makes it through to Monday and I can pop in for some Basin action.

Will be aiming for the weekend of the SL test otherwise though. For sure.