• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but the reason he’s not in the squad is because he doesn’t want to or can’t take a Test match bowling workload yet.

Niall

International Coach
There is no space for Hardik anymore in the test team due to presence of 3 spin bowling all-rounders.

Doubt he plays tests ever again, simply to important for the limited overs stuff sadly.

Agreed on the annoyance about Khan over Yadav,. It must be so demoralising for Khan, putting up Bradman numbers and can't even get a spot on the bench.

anil1405

International Captain
Agreed on the annoyance about Khan over Yadav,. It must be so demoralising for Khan, putting up Bradman numbers and can't even get a spot on the bench.
And a wrong message being sent that Ranji performance alone isn't given serious consideration.

Xix2565

International Regular
There is no space for Hardik anymore in the test team due to presence of 3 spin bowling all-rounders.
There's always space for a pace bowling all-rounder, the two roles are completely different. Niall's more on point in that he's probably not going to be a priority for the red ball team due to white ball commitments.
And a wrong message being sent that Ranji performance alone isn't given serious consideration.
When has it ever been Ranji alone in the current era? Ranji Trophy isn't the only FC cricket Test candidates need to play nowadays.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
There's always space for a pace bowling all-rounder, the two roles are completely different. Niall's more on point in that he's probably not going to be a priority for the red ball team due to white ball commitments.
Yes, I understand that his focus and body is tuned more only towards white ball formats now.

But my point is, even if he is available, how can he get a spot in the team? Surely all 3 spinners will play with them also being able to bat. And 2 pacers are required and Hardik can't be one of them.

Even away, India plays 2 spinners and Hardik's bowling is not good enough to be a third pacer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Hardik was an option for away games he'd play over one of the spinners imo
If Hardik was available, Ashwin would get a lot more gametime in SENA than he has. Anyways, its all hypothetical until he shows he can last a 4 day game as an allrounder.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Not for that. Go to cricinfo & check india always have 3 spinner since decades also at certain venue you need 3 spinner

We need well Ballance team

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Doubt he plays tests ever again, simply to important for the limited overs stuff sadly.

He earned more as captain in T20I & vice captain ODI.

Xix2565

International Regular
But my point is, even if he is available, how can he get a spot in the team? Surely all 3 spinners will play with them also being able to bat. And 2 pacers are required and Hardik can't be one of them.

Even away, India plays 2 spinners and Hardik's bowling is not good enough to be a third pacer.
I mean if Shardul Thakur can get a debut in India then Hardik has no real problems stopping him from getting a spot based on his ability. Besides, playing 3 spinners isn't always a guarantee, either so I'm not sure why you think it's basically impossible to pick him if he's available. He's gotten picked before, so were the selectors/team management back then being idiots for choosing him before?

India could've (and have before) gotten better balance with Jadeja or Ashwin as the sole spinner with Hardik as the other all rounder.
No jadeja till 3rd test
Please don't make things up.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean if Shardul Thakur can get a debut in India then Hardik has no real problems stopping him from getting a spot based on his ability. Besides, playing 3 spinners isn't always a guarantee, either so I'm not sure why you think it's basically impossible to pick him if he's available. He's gotten picked before, so were the selectors/team management back then being idiots for choosing him before?

India could've (and have before) gotten better balance with Jadeja or Ashwin as the sole spinner with Hardik as the other all rounder.

Please don't make things up.
We did not have Jamboland Axar at that point. It will be stupid to drop Axar right now with him improving his batting too in recent days.

Xix2565

International Regular
We did not have Jamboland Axar at that point. It will be stupid to drop Axar right now with him improving his batting too in recent days.
I don't get you sometimes, Axar doesn't make any potential pace all rounders irrelevant, even in India. There is no one size fits all at that stage, unlike with Ashwin/Jadeja who are far more experienced and generally proven.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get you sometimes, Axar doesn't make any potential pace all rounders irrelevant, even in India. There is no one size fits all at that stage, unlike with Ashwin/Jadeja who are far more experienced and generally proven.
OK let's consider hypothetically that he is test fit right now and is in the squad. Will you play him ahead of one of the 3 spinners/3 pacers/6 batsmen?

Xix2565

International Regular
OK let's consider hypothetically that he is test fit right now and is in the squad. Will you play him ahead of one of the 3 spinners/3 pacers/6 batsmen?
It's conditions based. Same as any other player really (or at least bowlers since batters get a lot more leeway in this regard). Axar wasn't even a sure thing before 2021, so to act like a potentially fit pace all rounder can't ever get picked in Indian conditions is bizarre. Not sure why this for you is something incomprehensible or illogical.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else find it funny that zampas chucking a tantrum over not getting picked for the India red ball tour when he's played one FC game in the past 2+ years and got outbowled by Chris green in that game? If you wanna play test cricket maybe rock up and play some shield cricket first to show you've improved as a red ball bowler.