• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's harsh to say Anderson's record has alot of holes.

For my money Jimmy is an ATG in English conditions. His record of 429 wkts at under 24 is very very good.

Away from home he has a very decent record - 224 wkts at 31 is not too shabby but it's difficult to say he's an ATG bowler with that record.
agreed that he is very close to an atg in english conditions...however it's a stretch from "not too shabby" away to being rated "greatest english bowler of all time", no? i mentioned all the "significantly below great" averages to show that it's not just one horrible anomalous blip of a record in one country or something that's pushing his away averages up...it's consistent middling to mediocre performances overseas...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
agreed that he is very close to an atg in english conditions...however it's a stretch from "not too shabby" away to being rated "greatest english bowler of all time", no? i mentioned all the "significantly below great" averages to show that it's not just one horrible anomalous blip of a record in one country or something that's pushing his away averages up...it's consistent middling to mediocre performances overseas...
I would never argue that Jimmy is the greatest English bowler of all time - I'm very much in the Fred Trueman camp.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It was only a matter of time before this thread became another Anderson pros and cons venue. Can't we agree that, whilst not an ATG, his later performances - especially in latter years - make him a very good and endurable player.

I was interested in @peterhrt 's comments on Compton. He and Miller were my boyhood heroes.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In all seriousness, Anderson deserves massive credit for his longevity and the fact his performances haven't fallen away at all as he's aged, in fact if anything they've improved. As dysfunctional and hapless as English cricket has always been and always will be, they deserve a lot of credit for their management of Anderson and Broad as they've aged.

Shady Slim

International Coach
It's harsh to say Anderson's record has alot of holes.

For my money Jimmy is an ATG in English conditions. His record of 429 wkts at under 24 is very very good.

Away from home he has a very decent record - 224 wkts at 31 is not too shabby but it's difficult to say he's an ATG bowler with that record.
this is the correct take

shortpitched713

International Captain
All time great is an inherently subjective category, because nobody has a fixed definition of the exact number that are included in that criteria.

I think if you're part of a league chosen from all the players who ever played cricket, you'd have to strongly consider Anderson sooner than later.

Spark

Global Moderator
In all seriousness, Anderson deserves massive credit for his longevity and the fact his performances haven't fallen away at all as he's aged, in fact if anything they've improved. As dysfunctional and hapless as English cricket has always been and always will be, they deserve a lot of credit for their management of Anderson and Broad as they've aged.
No but you see apparently if you have a good bowler you have to pick them for every single damn game, fitness, conditions, balance of the attack, alternative options be damned

(yes I am still annoyed about this across muultiple threads)

Tom Flint

International Regular
Lockie ferguson, always see kiwis wanting him selected across formats. Interesting that he's often not picked even when fit. Always is expensive in white ball even if he's always good for a couple of wickets