• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Ponting make an Aussie all-time XI?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't a big doubles follower but I do remember a match-up between Aus and India some time in the early-00s

I think Leander Paes had a decent run in the singles one year in the Aus open but I could be conflating it with doubles
Doubles was/is all that India has got in tennis, so I think India is one of the very few countries with a large tennis doubles following. Paes has never been that good in singles, I don't remember him doing much except for the Olympics singles bronze medal.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a very good point, there's no reason Ponting couldn't bat at 6

Not sure re Labuschagne though. He is a massive overachiever and nowhere near as good as the others. Can't see how he could finish with an average over 55
Yes, even I don't rate him much and almost every match, he has catches dropped. But he does make the most of his abilities and churns out runs consistently. He averages 54 right now and aged just 28. So, there is a good chance he could get to 55 if he has his best years ahead. Not playing T20 is also an advantage for him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubles was/is all that India has got in tennis, so I think India is one of the very few countries with a large tennis doubles following. Paes has never been that good in singles, I don't remember him doing much except for the Olympics singles bronze medal.
Surely the King of Indian tennis is the great Vijay Armitraj, who not only beat Laver at a US Open and was a quarter-finalist at two grand slams, but had a starring role in the 1983 James Bond classic Octo***** and in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Coronis

International Coach
This is a very good point, there's no reason Ponting couldn't bat at 6

Not sure re Labuschagne though. He is a massive overachiever and nowhere near as good as the others. Can't see how he could finish with an average over 55
Didn’t people used to say the same **** about Smith?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Surely the King of Indian tennis is the great Vijay Armitraj, who not only beat Laver at a US Open and was a quarter-finalist at two grand slams, but had a starring role in the 1983 James Bond classic Octo***** and in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
That James Bond thing was only coz his brother produced the movie. They also produced the amazing Bloodstone, so there's that. :p

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Just for fun

Smith (2010-2014) 48 innings 2116 runs @ 50.38 7 centuries, 9 50’s
Labuschagne (2018-2022) 48 innings 2538 runs @ 54.02 7 centuries, 13 50’s
Should start a Labu vs Smith thread and keep this stat coming up after each series.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
New year is a terrible place to use as a cutoff point for Australian cricket, considering it pretty much always lands in the middle of a series

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith was terrible until about half-way through 2013

Of course his stats from 2010-2014 (which also included a fair bit of time not even in the team) aren't going to be as good as Labuschagne's first 4 years. Includes the Test(s?) Smith played as a bowler too

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Calling it now, in 15 years the Aussie XI middle order will be

Bradman
Smith
Labuschagne
Chappell/Border/Waugh/Miller
Nah:

Bradman
Smith
Chappell/Border/Waugh
Green ( I'm not saying he will be better than Miller, but will play twice as many tests and score his runs at a better average, while being useful with the ball)