• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Ponting make an Aussie all-time XI?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The truth is that for all countries, there is no ATG XI, that would play in all conditions.

There's probably a core of 7 or 8 players that would be chosen but then there's 3 or 4 that would be conditions dependent.

On the SC you'd need 2 spinners and you could bat Gilchrist at 6 and pick Benaud or Grimmett. But would you want an off spinner rather than 2 leggies.

Would Border have a stronger case as he can bowl a bit of spin.

Also the ATG side would presumably be playing another ATG side so would 4 bowlers be enough - probably not.
Yeah agreed. I love selecting all time XIs, but I really think it makes more meaningful sense to pick all time 16-man squads to cover a range of conditions and opposition.

Coronis

International Coach
It's a bit like saying who is the ATG male tennis player - well it depends where its being played.

On clay it's obviously Nadal but on grass or hardcourt, he clearly isn't.
I
Nah Nadal ain’t the best clay player. Just pick Laver anyway, plus he’ll smash these modern day scrubs on carpet or wood.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just going to pick Ponting over Border, Chappell, Harvey and Hill regardless of the Miller debate. Leaving out Border is a big, big call but Ponting's strengths would be valuable to such a strong side. Border would be part of the squad and replace him in India obvs.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
The truth is that for all countries, there is no ATG XI, that would play in all conditions.

There's probably a core of 7 or 8 players that would be chosen but then there's 3 or 4 that would be conditions dependent.

On the SC you'd need 2 spinners and you could bat Gilchrist at 6 and pick Benaud or Grimmett. But would you want an off spinner rather than 2 leggies.

Also the ATG side would presumably be playing another ATG side so would 4 bowlers be enough - probably not.

It's a bit like saying who is the ATG male tennis player - well it depends where its being played.

I
O’Reilly clearly no.1 choice in or against India Imo against ATG Indian batting lineup.
You can also go with Miller/Lindwall/ McGrath/ Gillespie and O’Reilly in India with no 2nd spinner or 3 quicks,1 Spinner formation.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm just going to pick Ponting over Border, Chappell, Harvey and Hill regardless of the Miller debate. Leaving out Border is a big, big call but Ponting's strengths would be valuable to such a strong side. Border would be part of the squad and replace him in India obvs.
Need a leftie though

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel it would be terribly difficult to leave Ricky out, obviously the batting order is the question here, but certainly would find it strange if players
such as S Waugh were in the team and Ponting wasn't.

TheJediBrah

Does the Davis Cup still mean anything? Used to be all the rage back in the late-90s, 2000s. Then I think the top players stopped bothering with it, or maybe Australia just stopped being good at it I don't remember

Burgey

I
Clay in tennis is like the SC in cricket - dusty, slow and rightly not regarded as highly as elsewhere.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Does the Davis Cup still mean anything? Used to be all the rage back in the late-90s, 2000s. Then I think the top players stopped bothering with it, or maybe Australia just stopped being good at it I don't remember
Yes, I did love following it in the 90s and 2000s. The woodies were amazing for the aussies and it was a great doubles battle between them and Paes-Bhupathi. Federer did continuously turn up for Davis cup too.

I think top singles players stopped playing in Davis Cup due to which it has waned.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel it would be terribly difficult to leave Ricky out, obviously the batting order is the question here, but certainly would find it strange if players
such as S Waugh were in the team and Ponting wasn't.
Didn't Ponting play at 6 when he started? He should be there at 6 ahead of Steve Waugh while Bradman, Chappell and Steve Smith occupy 3-5. Says how good the ATG team is when S Waugh and Border have to sit out, leave alone so many other batting greats.

If Labuschagne ends up with a test average of >55, will he find a place in the Australia ATG squad and be rated ahead of Waugh and Border? Especially since he has almost exclusively batted in the tough batting era.

TheJediBrah

Yes, I did love following it in the 90s and 2000s. The woodies were amazing for the aussies and it was a great doubles battle between them and Paes-Bhupathi. Federer did continuously turn up for Davis cup too.

I think top singles players stopped playing in Davis Cup due to which it has waned.
I wasn't a big doubles follower but I do remember a match-up between Aus and India some time in the early-00s

I think Leander Paes had a decent run in the singles one year in the Aus open but I could be conflating it with doubles

TheJediBrah

Didn't Ponting play at 6 when he started? He should be there at 6 ahead of Steve Waugh while Bradman, Chappell and Steve Smith occupy 3-5. Says how good the ATG team is when S Waugh and Border have to sit out, leave alone so many other batting greats.

If Labuschagne ends up with a test average of >55, will he find a place in the Australia ATG squad and be rated ahead of Waugh and Border? Especially since he has almost exclusively batted in the tough batting era.
This is a very good point, there's no reason Ponting couldn't bat at 6

Not sure re Labuschagne though. He is a massive overachiever and nowhere near as good as the others. Can't see how he could finish with an average over 55